Is it time that AFL clubs dropped beverage company sponsorships ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Obesity is now the leading cause of death in Australia.

Around 9 million Australians are overweight and another 5million are obese this includes over 1million overweight and 250,000 obese children.

More than 5million Australian have fatty Liver disease and over 1million have type 2 diabetes.

Meanwhile every AFL club has an affiliation with Coca-Cola and or the Pepsi Owned Gatorade brand or similar.

Players do ads for Gatorade and PowerAde, supposed sports drinks that contain around 25 spoonfuls of sugar with high salt content and market them as healthy drinks that makes you an athlete.

Somehow this is overlooked while people are outraged about poker machines that adversely affect a tiny fraction of the population.

If we are going to run the morality meter over AFL and club revenue this is the first place to start.

think-of-the-children.jpg

The marketing and advertising of these drinks is blatantly unethical, but that's the world we live in. The AFL is a corporation that is as unethical as any. If you wanted a target, the alcohol and gambling industries would come before soft drinks.

Motor vehicles are involved in 100% of fatalities in car crashes, do we ban car sponsors?

They are just advertising a product, AFL are not by any means encouraging unhealthy lifestyles. Just like how advertising cars is not encouraging unsafe driving.

In other words, calm the **** down. To many people worried about being perfect and politically correct

I like the idea of the thread but we Aussies like to do what we want in regard to that stuff kids included, when they can. Changing it now won't make any difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around 9 million Australians are overweight and another 5million are obese this includes over 1million overweight and 250,000 obese children.

More than 5million Australian have fatty Liver disease and over 1million have type 2 diabetes.

Meanwhile every AFL club has an affiliation with Coca-Cola and or the Pepsi Owned Gatorade brand or similar.

Players do ads for Gatorade and PowerAde, supposed sports drinks that contain around 25 spoonfuls of sugar with high salt content and market them as healthy drinks that makes you an athlete.

Somehow this is overlooked while people are outraged about poker machines that adversely affect a tiny fraction of the population.

If we are going to run the morality meter over AFL and club revenue this is the first place to start.
I'd rather see clubs give a bigger punishment to their players (that is bigger than a fine of 0.4% of their salary) for drink driving to be honest. That'll send a better message.

If pokies machines put their odds on the front of their machines the same way coke labels nutritional information then your post might have a point OP.
Let's not pretend that nutritional information is much use though. Done only reluctantly, after years of fighting, and using measurements meant to deliberately obfuscate. It's whydifferent bottles have different serving sizes, simply to confuse the findings.

If pokies machines put their odds on the front of their machines the same way coke labels nutritional information then your post might have a point OP.
the same amount of people that read the nutritional informatoin on a can of coke would be the same as people that read them on pokies. 0 lol

Let's not pretend that nutritional information is much use though. Done only reluctantly, after years of fighting, and using measurements meant to deliberately obfuscate. It's whydifferent bottles have different serving sizes, simply to confuse the findings.

yeah i always compare the nutritional information between different brands so i can work out which caffeine sugar filled beverage is the healthiest

I take it you're highlighting the hypocrisy of it all and how dumb it is.

The thing is with pokies is that it's (perceived) as being a class issue because the more successful pokie venues are in low income areas. Thing is that those areas tend to have a higher number of blue collar works whose disposable income is often significantly undervalued. Lots of retired folk on the pension with undeclared cash income and investment properties as well.

Is it a "social" issue when someone is overweight? It is, but to ban advertising suggests any one individual is incapable of rejecting a brand's appeal. "Out of sight, out of mind" is all fair and good but we set a dangerous precedent when we limit a legal brand's capacity to sell itself.

We've got plain packaging for cigarettes. Do we introduce plain packaging for take away outlets now? For sugary drinks? Alcohol? We're probably moving towards that, and it's bizarre.

I grew up in a household of smokers and drinkers in a low-income area. I don't smoke and I drink sparingly. I like a toke every now and then my I'm not a heavy drug taker, and I take it my personal time when I'm not responsible for something (work, driving, hosting guests etc.).

When a person is obese, it tends to be because of other issues -- it might be laziness, but it might also be financial, mental, physical issues that cause them to put on weight -- and so whether or not a product that is bad for you is advertised or not probably isn't going to matter, because you're going to engage with that brand anyway if you want it.

Banning advertising and sponsorship basically sends the message that people are incapable of make decisions. If you don't want it to be advertised, then ban the damn thing: don't tell us that we can't see it because we won't be able to resist the urge to buy it simply because we saw an ad for it.

All we seem to do in this country is ban stuff.

Can you believe health experts campaigned against the newly-built children's hospital having a McDonald's? Some of the surgeons actually came out in defense of the McDonald's and said it was important for the children.

We rely far too much on health experts and politicians to tell us what's good and isn't good for us. We're not idiots. Advocating for the removal of branding and the banning of products basically suggests we're all idiots.

gizkhMH.jpg

Take a 2L bottle of coke
10.6 grams of sugar per every 100 mls
Multiply that by 20 and you get 212 grams
Four grams of sugar in one teaspoon so divide 212 by 4 and you get 53 teaspoons of sugar.

The maths isn't that hard to do. The information is readily available for anyone who seeks it when eating unhealthy foods.

Gaming is much more predatory and maintains as little information as possible as to what people are actually putting their money on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back