TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

All these people complaining they didn't bid $50m think they just came up with their own bid out of thin air? They would have done profitability analysis on what the max they could bid was. They're a business, the operate to make profits not do everyone a favour and still broadcast in HD on TV and lose money in the process.

Perhaps they should focus on retaining the rights and instead do a profitability analysis on how best to maximise profits with said rights? Introducing on demand streaming etc. may actually increase the value of the rights for them.

All these people complaining they didn't bid $50m think they just came up with their own bid out of thin air? They would have done profitability analysis on what the max they could bid was. They're a business, the operate to make profits not do everyone a favour and still broadcast in HD on TV and lose money in the process.

It sounds like they would have bid that much if it wasn't a silent auction. It's a no brained really. Loss of reputation, cancelled subscriptions and lost business to Optus over the next 3 years. It's a huge blow to Foxtel and they know it.

Perhaps they should focus on retaining the rights and instead do a profitability analysis on how best to maximise profits with said rights? Introducing on demand streaming etc. may actually increase the value of the rights for them.
They're already losing customers with internet streaming services. Who are we to sit hear and say how much Foxtel can/cannot afford to bid. All businesses work to increase profits. There's are currently on the decline it's hardly a time for them to go out and spend big if its beyond their means.

I do agree they have to come up with a better service because as things currently are they're pretty useless. But I also think they know that Sports via internet streaming & Optus will be cocked up and if they ever get their house in order and get some of these sports rights back every Tom, Dick & Harry who is potting them on the internet will crawl back

It sounds like they would have bid that much if it wasn't a silent auction. It's a no brained really. Loss of reputation, cancelled subscriptions and lost business to Optus over the next 3 years. It's a huge blow to Foxtel and they know it.
Agree its a blow. But it's not their 1st bad decision. Sometimes it's better to get to rock bottom & sort out the whole mess and have an improved way of running an operation that throw money at things all the time. If they are smart, the loss of money from subscriptions over the next 3 years will be countered by massive job cuts & cutbacks in spending in general

They're already losing customers with internet streaming services. Who are we to sit hear and say how much Foxtel can/cannot afford to bid. All businesses work to increase profits. There's are currently on the decline it's hardly a time for them to go out and spend big if its beyond their means.

I do agree they have to come up with a better service because as things currently are they're pretty useless. But I also think they know that Sports via internet streaming & Optus will be cocked up and if they ever get their house in order and get some of these sports rights back every Tom, Dick & Harry who is potting them on the internet will crawl back

I dunno, I would think in any business model the way to increase profit wouldn't be to cut a major revenue stream. I'm sure there's a net profit in their CBA when it comes to the EPL, not a loss.

I dunno, I would think in any business model the way to increase profit wouldn't be to cut a major revenue stream. I'm sure there's a net profit in their CBA when it comes to the EPL, not a loss.
Yeah a net profit bidding around the $20m mark. Bidding over double that would the EPL rights be as profitable, no it wouldn't. They aren't a charity service and can't just give people the service while eating into their profit margins, which are already on the slide because of their flawed overall functions

Yeah a net profit bidding around the $20m mark. Bidding over double that would the EPL rights be as profitable, no it wouldn't. They aren't a charity service and can't just give people the service while eating into their profit margins, which are already on the slide because of their flawed overall functions

So Optus, a company that's hardly doing much better than Foxtel, can magically make it profitable at 50m? That says more about Foxtel's business model than any issue with the price Optus paid.

So Optus, a company that's hardly doing much better than Foxtel, can magically make it profitable at 50m? That says more about Foxtel's business model than any issue with the price Optus paid.
Optus have been sitting back waiting for a big fish to get and haven't really done a great deal in recent years. Do you really think Optus will do a good job and keep the rights long-term?

Thing is they complained about the silent auction process which indicates they would have outbid Optus if they had the chance to.

It really sounds line they thought they had EPL rights sewn up and weren't expecting a bid from someone like Optus. They bid not much more than their last agreement and were caught with their pants down.

I wouldn't be surprised now if Optus sell it back to Foxtel for a quick profit of 5/10 million dollars.

Optus have been sitting back waiting for a big fish to get and haven't really done a great deal in recent years. Do you really think Optus will do a good job and keep the rights long-term?

I think Optus will try and maintain the rights at the price they paid so if Fox want them back they're going to have to muster up 50m+ despite now having less revenue coming in.

I think Optus will try and maintain the rights at the price they paid so if Fox want them back they're going to have to muster up 50m+ despite now having less revenue coming in.
Optus have no track record of delivering a satisfactory service. Optus will either balls it up for the consumer if they solely keep it, or they'll do a deal to have a channel on Foxtel to broadcast it similar to Setanta or beIN

Optus have no track record of delivering a satisfactory service. Optus will either balls it up for the consumer if they solely keep it, or they'll do a deal to have a channel on Foxtel to broadcast it similar to Setanta or beIN

So I feel like we're going round in circles here. It's s**t Fox have lost the rights and they're idiots for doing so.

So I feel like we're going round in circles here. It's s**t Fox have lost the rights and they're idiots for doing so.
Foxtel will either get a commission from running it through a channel or Optus will balls it up. Find it funny how people hired by beIN & Foxtel (owned by 2 of the biggest media & telecommunications players in the country) think they should bid under $50m but everyone on facebook and here thinks they should bid whatever it takes to get it. Wonder who knows more about the media business beIN/Foxtel or your average Joe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox have changed their facebook settings to show comments in order rather than most popular posts at the top, all of which are/were EPL rights related no matter what they were posting. Damage control ;)

Fox have changed their facebook settings to show comments in order rather than most popular posts at the top, all of which are/were EPL rights related no matter what they were posting. Damage control ;)
Good. it was a pain in the arse reading that page yesterday.

The more I think about it the more I'm willing to embrace the change, competition in the TV/Movies and live sport market is heating up and it will intensify once the NBN becomes more widespread and affordable and in this sink or swim environment Foxtel will either provide a better quality product or will flounder as a result. Long term this could be beneficial for consumers.

Good. it was a pain in the arse reading that page yesterday.

The more I think about it the more I'm willing to embrace the change, competition in the TV/Movies and live sport market is heating up and it will intensify once the NBN becomes more widespread and affordable and in this sink or swim environment Foxtel will either provide a better quality product or will flounder as a result. Long term this could be beneficial for consumers.
That is what I am worried about, will the NBN be enough wide spread by August next year, IF Optus decide on the online streaming structure?

That is what I am worried about, will the NBN be enough wide spread by August next year, IF Optus decide on the online streaming structure?
Oh, I wasn't suggesting it would be by August next year and wasn't talking specifically just about the EPL. The standard of internet by August next year won't have improved enough and to enough people by then but more broadly this is the way TV consumption will go and if that means the end of the Fox monopoly and increased competition then in time it can be a benefit to consumers but not by the start of next season.

Few things

- why is everyone posting this speed test s**t, you know no one cares, yh?

- the more I think/read about this the more ******* DEPRESSED I get

- Optus are ******* shitter than Eder

- It's not going to go to plan

- it's going to cost more money

- fox sports have what sports now? 4 nba game, 3 nfl games, aleague motorsports and abstract women's golf tournaments....how often do you click on fox, go to sports and it's like

Fox sports 1 - Boxing from 1987
Fox Sports 2 - Replay of rd2 USLPGA
Fox Sports 3 - Cricket; Highlights of India/Pakistan 2011 test 4
Fox FOOTY - BEST of the bounce
Fox Sports 5 - WTA Dubai Indoor Masters

It's already ******* bare. They just keep cutting costs, cutting premium sports and expect us to pay the same

The fact they are playing dumb on this and refuse to acknowledge for the fact that they have a responsibility to retain what is something that people are paying you $100 a month for, despite the fact at any given moment we scan through the channels and there's nothing ******* on.

Stop dodging tbe blame, take some responsibility and ******* fix it

Few things

- why is everyone posting this speed test s**t, you know no one cares, yh?

- the more I think/read about this the more ******* DEPRESSED I get

- Optus are ******* shitter than Eder

- It's not going to go to plan

- it's going to cost more money

- fox sports have what sports now? 4 nba game, 3 nfl games, aleague motorsports and abstract women's golf tournaments....how often do you click on fox, go to sports and it's like

Fox sports 1 - Boxing from 1987
Fox Sports 2 - Replay of rd2 USLPGA
Fox Sports 3 - Cricket; Highlights of India/Pakistan 2011 test 4
Fox FOOTY - BEST of the bounce
Fox Sports 5 - WTA Dubai Indoor Masters

It's already ******* bare. They just keep cutting costs, cutting premium sports and expect us to pay the same

The fact they are playing dumb on this and refuse to acknowledge for the fact that they have a responsibility to retain what is something that people are paying you $100 a month for, despite the fact at any given moment we scan through the channels and there's nothing ******* on.

Stop dodging tbe blame, take some responsibility and ******* fix it

Somebody's in a cranky mood today!

Fox Sports 1 - A replay of the Second Rd of the USLPGA Japan Classic - because once wasn't enough!!!

Fox Sports 2 - NBL, Adelaide vs Sydney

Fox Sports 3 - (the much anticipated) 3rd ODI Of the West Indies and Sri Lanka

Fox Footy 4 - History Month 1980s (The Best of Bounce you ran for a month was riveting enough!!!)

Fox Sport 5 - (for the second time tonight) Newcastle vs WSW

They reckon I'm keeping this next year ?

Fox Sports 1 - A replay of the Second Rd of the USLPGA Japan Classic - because once wasn't enough!!!

Fox Footy 4 - History Month 1980s (The Best of Bounce you ran for a month was riveting enough!!!)

Apart from the football (of which there are very few games at this time), what else do you want them to show? They can't show sports that aren't on...

11.30pm is not exactly primetime ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back