TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

A conservative estimate is 30k viewers will leave foxtel because of no EPL. They are each probably spending nearly $100 a month (most would have HD). Over 3 years that is a tad over $100 million in subscription fees gone. Not to mention advertising revenue.

I think Foxtel would have jumped at the opportunity to pay $50 Milloy for rights. They did complain about the silent auction process after all which indicates they would have outbid Optus given the chance.

30k?

That's not conservative, it's ridiculous. They won't lose a thousand. Sure, people may downgrade but the basic package pricing is still very good for a pure tv source and a set top box, nor to mention Foxtel is very good at maintaining contracts (their new package set up a year ago would have seen many sign back on for the better deal, that and their current Foxtel broadband package).

Unless you mean 30k individuals, or about 5-6k households which is still way overs.

There aren't thirty thousand individuals that buy foxtel purely for the EPL.

30k?

That's not conservative, it's ridiculous. They won't lose a thousand. Sure, people may downgrade but the basic package pricing is still very good for a pure tv source and a set top box, nor to mention Foxtel is very good at maintaining contracts (their new package set up a year ago would have seen many sign back on for the better deal, that and their current Foxtel broadband package).

Unless you mean 30k individuals, or about 5-6k households which is still way overs.

1k? You've got to be joking. As stated before I myself personally know of 5 subscribers cancelling their subscription at the end of the EPL season. EPL is a huge selling point for foxtel.

You're also forgetting the impact on their pricing structure for foxsports packages. It will hade to be reduced now because they are delivering less content. That will be on all foxsports subscriptions. That alone will be huge.

As for the bidding foxsports have already said they would have bid again if it wasn't a silent auction. EPL rights are an absolute no brainer for any pay tv sports service 5hat is worth its salt.

1k? You've got to be joking. As stated before I myself personally know of 5 subscribers cancelling their subscription at the end of the EPL season. EPL is a huge selling point for foxtel.

You're also forgetting the impact on their pricing structure for foxsports packages. It will hade to be reduced now because they are delivering less content. That will be on all foxsports subscriptions. That alone will be huge.

As for the bidding foxsports have already said they would have bid again if it wasn't a silent auction. EPL rights are an absolute no brainer for any pay tv sports service 5hat is worth its salt.

They aren't delivering less content. There won't be test patterns when the EPL was on.

And there won't be because they'll have the EPL.

Last edited:
4k counts out streaming. Foxtel the only option.

No chance of Foxtel doing 4k, they still charge extra for HD, and the IQ3 has been nothing short of disastrous for the majority. Netflix does offer 4k if your internet can handle it (mine is on the fringe). I assume Optus will offer similar - SD, 720p, 1080p and 2160p (4k).

Netflix have said repeatedly they aren't interested in sport, haven't they?

yeah, mean moreso with the technology available.

but this could be an opportunity for netflix to break into a new market with an opportunity that could effectively be pretty much handed to them.

could optus partner with netflix in some form?
Why would they bother? Optus can run a streaming version themselves no need to partner with Netflix.

Optus are looking to partner with a TV provider but has to not effect there mobile business that they want streaming rights for. It sounds like the push is for EPL fans to sign up with Optus for mobile and broadband services.

30k?

I watch Walking Dead, Ballers, Fear the Walking Dead as well as Game of Thrones each week but that won't stop me from cancelling Foxtel. Same goes for more then a 1k EPL fans. Around 50k is pretty much the possibility tbh, not all Australians follow AFL on Foxtel.

The movies package is a joke, hardly get the 'current' new releases, and the sports package is pretty much null and void with only Fox Footy the legitimate reason. NBA is pretty much only available through League Pass (which I pay 200 dollars a season for, mind you) ESPN shows one/two games a week if that, as well as NHL/NFL only available through other means- except for the Monday Night games or Post Season/Playoffs.
There's nothing else on offer, apart from reruns and the content Foxtel mostly has- Netflix and other subscprtion services covers. Foxtel used to be the exclusive serivce to watch every sports possible, but now only AFL remains. The HD coverage cost 100 dollars a month- which for some households is hardly affordable on top of all the other packages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watch Walking Dead, Ballers, Fear the Walking Dead as well as Game of Thrones each week but that won't stop me from cancelling Foxtel. Same goes for more then a 1k EPL fans. Around 50k is pretty much the possibility tbh, not all Australians follow AFL on Foxtel.

The movies package is a joke, hardly get the 'current' new releases, and the sports package is pretty much null and void with only Fox Footy the legitimate reason. NBA is pretty much only available through League Pass (which I pay 200 dollars a season for, mind you) ESPN shows one/two games a week if that, as well as NHL/NFL only available through other means- except for the Monday Night games or Post Season/Playoffs.
There's nothing else on offer, apart from reruns and the content Foxtel mostly has- Netflix and other subscprtion services covers. Foxtel used to be the exclusive serivce to watch every sports possible, but now only AFL remains. The HD coverage cost 100 dollars a month- which for some households is hardly affordable on top of all the other packages.

I appreciate the sentiment from you and the other guy but you are the minority.

That is allowed.

That is allowed.
People don't seem to realize that most of those making threats won't actually go through with it.

Hardly anyone purchases foxtel for one sport.

That is allowed.

Not the case at all. EPL is Foxtels biggest selling point. You can't get live EPL football anywhere else. Streaming is unreliable and everyone wants to watch the game in front of the tv in any case.

Fox footy is good but there's great coverage on FTA.
TV Shows - you can access them off streaming services. Download them.
Kids shows - FTA equivalent or better than Foxtel.
Movies on Foxtel are a joke. Streaming is the way to go nowadays or simply downloading off torrents remains prevalent.

If Foxtel can't organise a deal to televise EPL on behalf of Optus they really will be losing a substantial amount of subscribers. There's really no other way to spin it.

Not the case at all. EPL is Foxtels biggest selling point. You can't get live EPL football anywhere else. Streaming is unreliable and everyone wants to watch the game in front of the tv in any case.

Fox footy is good but there's great coverage on FTA.
TV Shows - you can access them off streaming services. Download them.
Kids shows - FTA equivalent or better than Foxtel.
Movies on Foxtel are a joke. Streaming is the way to go nowadays or simply downloading off torrents remains prevalent.

If Foxtel can't organise a deal to televise EPL on behalf of Optus they really will be losing a substantial amount of subscribers. There's really no other way to spin it.

No it's not.

You can access EPL just as easily as AFL. In fact as far as sport goes all AFL games live on dedicated channels is Foxtels biggest selling point, then it has NRL which actually gets higher ratings EPL wouldn't get close to the ratings of those two sports.

Foxtel have the monopoly on paid subscription tv in Australia. The lack of EPL won't change much at all.

People don't seem to realize that most of those making threats won't actually go through with it.

Hardly anyone purchases foxtel for one sport.

I have a sneaky feeling half of those that say they will quit foxtel still have it paid for by their parents.

Minimum $70 a month for a quarter of their annual contract not even showing the early morning weekend sport they say is the only reason they subscribe.

I have a sneaky feeling half of those that say they will quit foxtel still have it paid for by their parents.

Minimum $70 a month for a quarter of their annual contract not even showing the early morning weekend sport they say is the only reason they subscribe.
If the EPL got anywhere near the ratings as the NRL and AFL then Foxtel might drop a bead of sweat. The facts are the EPL doesn't and ratings is where the money is at. You're talking billion dollar deals compared to under 100m.

If the EPL got anywhere near the ratings as the NRL and AFL then Foxtel might drop a bead of sweat. The facts are the EPL doesn't and ratings is where the money is at. You're talking billion dollar deals compared to under 100m.

Under 50mil as far as Foxtel is concerned ;)

Under 50mil as far as Foxtel is concerned ;)
Yep. And the bids are based on ratings.

Is the EPL a sell? Yes.
Will it cause a mass exodus without it? God no.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back