TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Which I love. Why can't you?
I don't have foxtel. The only time I've thought about getting it was for the London Olympics. If I didn't get it for that, nothing will get me over the line. I go to a local gaming venue to watch F1, which I don't mind. I'm not bothered out the commercials and pre/post race stuff like other guys on the MB are. I'm just trying to make guys on here feel a little bit better about this situation

Gave foxtel the flick since they hardly show any live NBA anymore. Its been the most overrated junk for a while but that was the final straw.

Stream live EPL/NBA on the internet in HD for free on my big ass monitor and couldn't be happier

Last edited:
So there's not gonna be EPL any more... More room for NHL, tennis and, er... darts?

I'm actually strangely captivated by darts.

Stand up, if you're strangely captivated by the darts; stand up, if you're strangely captivated by the darts ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you get Snooker down there? It's a better watch than darts - especially when you come home pissed out your head and you Just fancy chilling before you hit the sack - very therapeutic to watch

yeah, a quote from that story says it all.

"There are some EPL fans in Australia, there's no doubt about that, but we're certainly not talking about prime time. The 3pm kickoff in UK is 2am in Australia. "

Total campaigner!

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/news-corp-ceo-robert-thomson-plays-down-english-premier-league-rights-loss-

The 3pm kickoff IS at 2am here....

Optus have massively overpaid for a second (or third) tier sports rights deal for strategic reasons (to bundle in with mobile and broadband plans). They'll probably end up selling the broadcast rights back to one of the existing sports networks anyway, just like Nine is now talking to News about selling it one of the NRL games they just bought.

Makes no sense to spew venom at Foxtel for not writing a blank cheque which would have ultimately needed to be funded by an increase in the price of the sports package. Something tells me the same people would moan about that too.

A conservative estimate is 30k viewers will leave foxtel because of no EPL. They are each probably spending nearly $100 a month (most would have HD). Over 3 years that is a tad over $100 million in subscription fees gone. Not to mention advertising revenue.

I think Foxtel would have jumped at the opportunity to pay $50 Milloy for rights. They did complain about the silent auction process after all which indicates they would have outbid Optus given the chance.

A conservative estimate is 30k viewers will leave foxtel because of no EPL. They are each probably spending nearly $100 a month (most would have HD). Over 3 years that is a tad over $100 million in subscription fees gone. Not to mention advertising revenue.

I think Foxtel would have jumped at the opportunity to pay $50 Milloy for rights. They did complain about the silent auction process after all which indicates they would have outbid Optus given the chance.

Those maths only make sense if those subscribers watch nothing but EPL which obviously isn't the case.

Optus won't recoup anything close to the amount they are spending on the rights. It's a quarter of what Foxtel is paying for the next AFL deal per year.

I know 5 subscribers personally that will be dumping foxtel at the end of this EPL season.

I'm cancelling my subscription also and ordering a second box on my brother in laws account. We will be splitting basic + sports + HD.

Credibility is also something you can't put a price on. With NBA largely gone and now EPL gone foxtel are going to be forced into reducing pricing on sports packages because they are providing less content. Advertising revenue will be down significantly due to lost NBA / EPL rights.

Fox footy isn't that big of a deal either unless you're a Melbourne / GWS fan. FTA footy is just as good if not better than fox.

Make no mistake losing EPL will be a huge blow to Foxtel and they know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back