TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet when they show the games live, they get less than 35k people tune in.

The problem is that 35k is a hell of a lot of subscriptions to lose.
Is that 35k per match averaged out though? so 350,000 viewers per matchday?

Fox is severely underestimating the amount of Sunday brunchtime EPL viewers they have.

I watch every Arsenal game, maybe 70% live but the rest always once I wake up the day after.

that's assuming that all of the 35k who watch would then cancel their subscriptions, I'm still on the fence given I only pay a third of our bill. Might just drop the sports package and get Docos instead. We'll see. I'm sure there'd be some that'd keep Foxtel and not change their packages as well.
Is that 35k per match averaged out though? so 350,000 viewers per matchday?
I thought the 35k was quoted as being the big draw card games like Man U v Pool etc etc. you'd think it may be less for smaller clubs? So maybe what 150-200k?

I thought the 35k was quoted as being the big draw card games like Man U v Pool etc etc. you'd think it may be less for smaller clubs? So maybe what 150-200k?
If this is the source then it seems to suggest 35k per game, which would mean 350,000 over the weekend on average:
http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/liverpools-premier-league-title-tilt-boosts-fox-ratings-20140413-ix5jb

You would assume this would include people watching multiple games though, but realistically even a die hard could watch 5? games live per round, whereas many would just watch their own team I'd say. I wonder if this also includes the people who watch at pubs etc.

9.45pm games get pretty good ratings. Remember LFC - Man U game televised at 9.45pm getting pretty good figures years ago.

Would be interesting to see how much ratings the highlights show gets.

9.45pm games get pretty good ratings. Remember LFC - Man U game televised at 9.45pm getting pretty good figures years ago.

Would be interesting to see how much ratings the highlights show gets.
9:45 games only happen 7 or 8 games a season though.

Fox is severely underestimating the amount of Sunday brunchtime EPL viewers they have.

I watch every Arsenal game, maybe 70% live but the rest always once I wake up the day after.
This is what I'm wondering. Maybe Fox would be ok with a delayed fixture if it meant they only paid a certain percentage.

If this is the source then it seems to suggest 35k per game, which would mean 350,000 over the weekend on average:
http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/liverpools-premier-league-title-tilt-boosts-fox-ratings-20140413-ix5jb

You would assume this would include people watching multiple games though, but realistically even a die hard could watch 5? games live per round, whereas many would just watch their own team I'd say. I wonder if this also includes the people who watch at pubs etc.
Pubs would be bloody hard to gauge I'd reckon. How would you measure how many patrons actually are watching? Too difficult.

The crux of what I'm saying still would be the case for many Foxtel subscribers, some would cancel their subscription as a direct result of this, some would alter their subscription and others would simply not care I.e they don't have Foxsports purely for 2am EPL. Atm I'd probably be averaging 2-3 games a week given 6 of the 10 are usually on at the same time, usually watch the Sat and Sunday early games and whenever Spurs are playing. Timezone isn't great for us Eastern Staters atm.

That said I do enjoy other sports on Fox so this may not be a deal breaker for me personally. As frustrating as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL is that bloke serious? There are 'some' EPL fans in Australia? Did he not see the sell out when United came, and when Liverpool came too with 95k singing YNWA? Not to mention the big crowds when Madrid, Roma and City were out here a few months ago. And using Bayern 5-1 Arsenal as a way of measuring the value of the EPL is an absolute joke. But yeah it looks as though he is very salty.

Do have to chuckle when you keep seeing things like these appearing on any comments section relating to Foxtel...

12195939_926739670740063_726916366651420733_n.jpg

12187742_926738057406891_703029474157065836_n.jpg

Well the FS Football page is almost unreadable now with all the sandy comments.

Anyway this isn't bad to listen to as a discussion of the changing Sports landscape here in Oz.

http://www.2gb.com/audioplayer/137131

Foxtel are spinning the loss hard but people watching recorded games the next morning is worth jack shit in advertising.

if it's not worth much to them as they say, why is it worth so much more to optus then?

maybe foxtel just werent smart enough with it if they couldnt justify spending for the most popular league in the world. what other sports in australia would put up those numbers that late?

Foxtel are spinning the loss hard but people watching recorded games the next morning is worth jack shit in advertising.

Might not be worth much in advertising but definitely worth a shitload in subscription fees.

30k subscribers gone for the next year spending on average $90 a month (assuming HD). That's $97,000,000 in lost subscription fees and that's before taking into account lost advertising revenue.

Makes not bidding more than the 50 million optus bid look pretty stupid now.

yeah we'll be staying cos my parents like the other stuff, but they'll take a short term hit at the very least with people demanding reimbursement and the bad press that is inundating their social media pages. for all we know, people were going to join for the premier league, wake up on monday, see this news and decide not to join. no one knows how many of those types there are.

All these people complaining they didn't bid $50m think they just came up with their own bid out of thin air? They would have done profitability analysis on what the max they could bid was. They're a business, the operate to make profits not do everyone a favour and still broadcast in HD on TV and lose money in the process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back