Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

Two questions:

1. For you Wii Uers out there are you still digging it? We plan on getting the kids one for Christmas. Seems the best option for 8 & 11 yo kids.
2. For someone who's passed by most PC games for the past, um, 20 years I can see myself tempted by Star Wars Battlefront. (I was hoping it would be a title on Wii U, but alas it looks like that will not be) Any tips for someone totally unfamiliar with modern gaming? How does the whole subscription stuff work?
I can pitch in on 2.

There won't be a sub on Battlefront but they will release more content over time so to get "everything" you will need the season pass or be willing to pony up for expansions as they come out. If you don't know if you will be playing it in 3 months buy the base game and as expansions release, if you are still playing pick them up as they come out. Expansions will generally add 3 main things:
  1. New multiplayer maps
  2. New game modes
  3. New weapons, gear, power ups etc.
If you want to test to see if you like the style of game play try picking up Battlefield Bad Company or Battlefield 3. Both will be cheap and may have semi-populated servers.

I can pitch in on 2.

There won't be a sub on Battlefront but they will release more content over time so to get "everything" you will need the season pass or be willing to pony up for expansions as they come out. If you don't know if you will be playing it in 3 months buy the base game and as expansions release, if you are still playing pick them up as they come out. Expansions will generally add 3 main things:
  1. New multiplayer maps
  2. New game modes
  3. New weapons, gear, power ups etc.
If you want to test to see if you like the style of game play try picking up Battlefield Bad Company or Battlefield 3. Both will be cheap and may have semi-populated servers.

Thanks. It's probably moot as I read that I don't have the minimum RAM as set out in the specs.

Two questions:

1. For you Wii Uers out there are you still digging it? We plan on getting the kids one for Christmas. Seems the best option for 8 & 11 yo kids.
2. For someone who's passed by most PC games for the past, um, 20 years I can see myself tempted by Star Wars Battlefront. (I was hoping it would be a title on Wii U, but alas it looks like that will not be) Any tips for someone totally unfamiliar with modern gaming? How does the whole subscription stuff work?

1. Absolutely - the best time ever to buy one, I think. Heaps of excellent Nintendo made/funded games (I tend to just stick to them).
2. Subscription stuff is usually for those big online community/never ending games isn't it? Star Wars will be on PC/PS4/XB1 I think? So far to me, that game is pretty much the same as all other first/3rd person shooters, but it's in nice looking Star Wars worlds.

I downloaded this last night hoping it could be my daily commute entertainment but it doesn't look like that'll work. I lost network connection 4 or 5 times while in the middle of a match and kept having to re-start them. Bit frustrating as it seems like a fun game.
Yeah mobile blackspots kill this sometimes. The Buranda bus station and the Coorparoo area are terrible and lost me a few games. I tend to not play Ranked or Arena on the bus anymore.

I'm thinking of going Splatoon bundle and buying Mario Maker separately. Kids can miss out on Skylander.

They can have my copy of Skylanders, and the six or so Skylander figures I have. No charge. I never play it.

Can arrange to get them to you at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JB have a ridiculous pre-order deal (online only) for Fallout 4 - $59 .

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/Search/results/?keywords=fallout 4

If I didn't have the PiPBoy Edition on pre-order I'd snatch that $59 JB special up. As it is I'll pick up the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide. Post should deliver around the same time as the Day One patch installs (yeah I have 4 days off work).

JB have a ridiculous pre-order deal (online only) for Fallout 4 - $59 .

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/Search/results/?keywords=fallout 4

If I didn't have the PiPBoy Edition on pre-order I'd snatch that $59 JB special up. As it is I'll pick up the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide. Post should deliver around the same time as the Day One patch installs (yeah I have 4 days off work).

Davemonkey, have you played this yet? Just wondering if it's as buggy as suggested? Pondering whether to jump in now or wait until some stuff gets sorted and patched. JB Hifi is right across the road from work though so, yanno.... ;)

If buying on PC, even if you buy a physical copy, you still need to download most of the game. Only comes with 1 DVD, about 5gbs of the 24gbs needed to install. Need to download the rest. Got my copy this morning, starting installing at 10:30am, am only just now about to start it up for the first time. I feel ripped off.

Is Fallout 4 a GTA style game, or a Quake style game?

I've never played a game in that series but am intrigued by the previews I've seen.

I payed Bioshock and the Halo games (when I had an Xbox) and thought they were terrible. Suiting up in metal and fighting aliens with fluro lasers has to be getting old?

Is Fallout 4 a GTA style game, or a Quake style game?

I've never played a game in that series but am intrigued by the previews I've seen.

I payed Bioshock and the Halo games (when I had an Xbox) and thought they were terrible. Suiting up in metal and fighting aliens with fluro lasers has to be getting old?

It's a first person shooter in terms of player perspective but it's a story rich RPG. Have you played Skyrim? It's like that but set in a post-nuclear war Earth and has guns etc.

It's an exceptionally well created game world as well. Plenty of well written satire etc.

That said, if you didn't like Bioshock (what the hell is wrong with you!), you may not love it.

It's a first person shooter in terms of player perspective but it's a story rich RPG. Have you played Skyrim? It's like that but set in a post-nuclear war Earth and has guns etc.

It's an exceptionally well created game world as well. Plenty of well written satire etc.

That said, if you didn't like Bioshock (what the hell is wrong with you!), you may not love it.

I haven't played Skyrim - but I've seen footage ... it seems like a big open world with lots of enemies.

So you suit up in metal and shoot aliens? Is it open world, or kind of linear but large?

I think I prefer to control the pace of game a bit more - GTA V, Red Dead, Assassin's Creed ... I really love those games.

I haven't played Skyrim - but I've seen footage ... it seems like a big open world with lots of enemies.

So you suit up in metal and shoot aliens? Is it open world, or kind of linear but large?

I think I prefer to control the pace of game a bit more - GTA V, Red Dead, Assassin's Creed ... I really love those games.

If you like Red Dead for being large and non-linear you will like Fallout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back