Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean, you gain enormious satisfaction when some anonymous folks on the internet agrees witrh you?

Agree or disagree, believe me or disagree with me - I don't care however my intent is to post my opinion. Not to make friends or gain some status on an internet forum.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448528612.551439.jpg

I'm not blaming Fantasia for our failure to win a flag, but his record of 1st round draft selection failures staggers belief.

The current regime (Rendell/Ogilvie) has had a 100% success rate when it comes to our 1st round selections. It's not an outlandish claim, because it's true. Refer to my previous posts in this thread.
I'm not trying to defend Fantasia but he's from another time. Perhaps had he the resources available to the likes of Rendell/ Olgilvie he may have performed better to your liking.

I'm not trying to defend Fantasia but he's from another time. Perhaps had he the resources available to the likes of Rendell/ Olgilvie he may have performed better to your liking.

It's time we moved to the current climate.

that his own club is even baffled by saying on AA that around pick # 35 would have been a good result.

But that's a number picked out based on previous drafts and where people went at, his coach didn't do a phantom draft to work out where people would go, he didn't look at the talent from other states and put them in order, he may be aware about other victorian kids, but he only knows about the character of his own side. He looked at Doedee and thought a kid like this normally goes about 35, he may have been a pick 35 in previous drafts, but this was a weak draft where he went 17.

It's also weird that you instantly trust the word of some coach you've never heard of before who coaches a TAC cup side more than the guys at our AFL side. Just because he's a coach doesn't mean he is a brilliant judge of talent, there are countless stories of players not being rated by their coach who go on to become stars under different coaches.

Sounds like you drink the TAC cup coach koolaid, spoon fed.

I must admit when #17 came up I was saying Burton, Burton!! And then WhatTF and WhoTF!?

It seems poor Tom and our drafting team are on a hiding to nothing! If we had a 40-60 pick and chose him – and he turns out like a Rory Sloane/Graham Johncock - then we are rapt declaring our recruiting guys are geniuses !!

However at #17 – he needs to at least perform like a Burton/Tahlia to achieve some credibility! And be some sort of a gun.

And I keep thinking of the Kelly promotion! Some similarities there but maybe he goes ahead of him in the pecking order??

My son in law lives in Geelong – an avid cats fan – never heard of him!! (But as an aside said Dean Gore could be gun!! and I have seen him play live over there and also liked him!)

I did hear him say he is happy to leave Geelong and go elsewhere and thinks Adelaide will be a great place to develop his AFL career – so that’s a positive.

And maybe he could end up being a better player than Jack Watts! (In terms of draft pick selections!!)

So I am happy - at this stage to back our recruiting team and wait and see – give him a go.

Welcome Tom – let’s hope for the best!!

Last edited:
But that's a number picked out based on previous drafts and where people went at, his coach didn't do a phantom draft to work out where people would go, he didn't look at the talent from other states and put them in order, he may be aware about other victorian kids, but he only knows about the character of his own side. He looked at Doedee and thought a kid like this normally goes about 35, he may have been a pick 35 in previous drafts, but this was a weak draft where he went 17.

It's also weird that you instantly trust the word of some coach you've never heard of before who coaches a TAC cup side more than the guys at our AFL side. Just because he's a coach doesn't mean he is a brilliant judge of talent, there are countless stories of players not being rated by their coach who go on to become stars under different coaches.

Sounds like you drink the TAC cup coach koolaid, spoon fed.

I'm sure you can keep defending all decisions made by the AFC I'm not as forgiving they have failed for sometime and need to be kept accountable for poor decisions which affect on field results.

Strong contested game, very good lateral movement and poise and he looks like one of those guys who sees the game well.

I'd also argue his scope for improvement is much larger than some around him, given his last 12 months and being new to the game.

So, where is his best long term position?

I'm sure you can keep defending all decisions made by the AFC I'm not as forgiving they have failed for sometime and need to be kept accountable for poor decisions which affect on field results.

I'm not defending all decisions, I just wait until I have some evidence they have done something wrong before I criticise a decision when I know the people making the decision know more about it than I do and they have the runs on the board to show they know what they are doing.

You're angry at them because some blogger's disagreed with their decision and that is idiotic. I'll wait until I've seen him play a few matches alongside our SANFL players before I start to make an opinion.

It ain't the recruiting department's fault. They have been our best department since Fantasia left.

Any club that has five coaches across five seasons will struggle.

Yet we have actually done ok. Basically had the same "success" as our cross town rivals in this period.

Hopefully the Pyke era can be a stable one. And more importantly he is a good enough coach to allow the club to have real success.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Please don't use them as our bench mark:eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not defending all decisions, I just wait until I have some evidence they have done something wrong before I criticise a decision when I know the people making the decision know more about it than I do and they have the runs on the board to show they know what they are doing.

You're angry at them because some blogger's disagreed with their decision and that is idiotic. I'll wait until I've seen him play a few matches alongside our SANFL players before I start to make an opinion.

Wait and see before spitting the dummy. In other words reserve judgement until such time we can give a reasonable evaluation.

I must admit when #17 came up I was saying Burton, Burton!! And then WhatTH and WhoTF!?

It seems poor Tom and our drafting team are on a hiding to nothing! If we had a 40-60 pick and chose him – and he turns out like a Rory Sloane/Graham Johncock - then we are rapt declaring our recruiting guys are geniuses !!

However at #17 – he needs to at least perform like a Burton/Tahlia to achieve some credibility! And be some sort of a gun.

And I keep thinking of the Kelly promotion! Some similarities there but maybe he goes ahead of him in the pecking order??

My son in law lives in Geelong – an avid cats fan – never heard of him!! (But as an aside said Dean Gore could be gun!! and I have seen him play live over there and also liked him!)

I did hear him say he is happy to leave Geelong and go elsewhere and thinks Adelaide will be a great place to develop his AFL career – so that’s a positive.

And maybe he could end up being a better player than Jack Watts! (In terms of draft pick selections!!)

So I am happy - at this stage to back our recruiting team and wait and see – give him a go.

Welcome Tom – let’s hope for the best!!

You almost never hear about basketballers having a "go home" factor. "Go to South Beach" factor maybe. But not home.

What's done is done, I'm sure they had their reasons. It can only now be judged in retrospect, although if it doesn't work the knives will be out.

I'm sure part of the problem is his nerdy sounding surname. If it had Danger or Steel or something in it, we'd probably all be happier.

Bloody hell, Mike. I think we agree.

I liked Rendell, but some of the things he said didn't actually inspire confidence. Ogilvy seems like someone that just eats, drinks and breaths footy.

Read what Greenwood and Henderson have had to say about Ogilvie. The players believe in, and trust him. This is bloody hard to put a value on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back