Post your favourite song of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Find the River by R.E.M. is my favourite song, from my favourite album by my favourite band. After 100's maybe 1000's of listens it still sounds as amazing to me as it did the first time. It has a timeless quality about it and the harmonies just blow my mind. No matter what life is serving up if I put this song on I can't help but feel soothed. Sheer beauty.

My father used to operate 60's & 70's Jukeboxes. Those that are familiar with AMI Continental II Jukes Boxes - there were dozens of them. so I spent most of my childhood listening to these Juke Boxes that held 100-200 45's... The Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Elvis.. Then then the late 70's early 80's of The Knack, Blonde, Pink Floyd, Queen.. I was always around music..

There was one song, that as a child, I kept playing over and over. My favorite song of all time ;

The memories flow back when I heard this song, and to this day, I love this song.

I'm embedded in 70's hard rock, Heavy Metal and Progressive Metal. I don't listen to anything else. I don't consider myself "musically educated", but I have listened to a LOT of records (popular) in my childhood. My collection comprises of KISS, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Dream Theater..

But EVERY time I play "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - I remember my early childhood.

KISS' "Rock and Roll All Nite" steered me towards Hard Rock as a 7 year old - and I stayed on that path. I never listened to any other song by Procol Harem - and I would not be able to list any of their songs other than "A whiter shade of pale".

Blackbird by Alter Bridge. It is one of those things that you just can't explain. From the very first time I heard this song I loved it. Then the solo. That solo is what a great solo should be. You should be able to feel the emotion and every note have a purpose instead of being full of bends and hammer ons and pull offs for the sake of having them in there. Hearing it live for the first time I was in awe. If there is one song I want played at my funeral it is this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Universal - Blur
Charlie No.2 - The Whitlams
Cause = Time - Broken Social Scene

Don't know if you've heard this, not a big JB fan but this is a killer cover of a great song.

hey mate i did not think i would like any other version of this classic song.
but i was pleasantly surprised.
nice one.

Last edited:
I have a lot of songs that have rotated through the #1 slot over the years.

Present Tense by Pearl Jam is right up there. Lyrically perfect and just musically so clean, the outtro transcendent.

A Day In The Life by The Beatles is genius but simple, unique. I love the original and I love it when covered by anyone.

But the #1...

Incident On 57th Street - Bruce Springsteen. Basically the most beautiful song I've ever heard, lyrically and musically.

The original, as heard on "The Wild, the Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle" is outstanding but I've posted a solo piano version from 2002.

Enjoy.

Spanish Johnny drove in from the underworld last night
With bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat-up old Buick but dressed just like dynamite
He tried sellin' his heart to the hard girls over on Easy Street
But they sighed, "Johnny, it falls apart so easy and you know hearts these days are cheap"
And the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a cheater"
Well, the pimps swung their axes and said, "Johnny, you're a liar"
And from out of the shadows came a young girl's voice
Said, "Johnny, don't cry"
Puerto Rican Jane, oh, won't you tell me what's your name
I want to drive you down to the other side of town
Where paradise ain't so crowded, there'll be action goin' down on Shanty Lane tonight
All them golden heeled fairies in a real bitch fight pull thirty-eights and kiss the girls goodnight

Oh, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
Now let them black boys in to light the soul flame
We may find it out on the street tonight, baby
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe

Well, like a cool Romeo he made his moves, ah, she looked so fine
And like a late Juliet she knew he'd never be true, but then she didn't really mind
Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about going home
She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight, but just don't leave me alone"
And Johnny cried, "Puerto Rican Jane, word is down the cops have found the vein"
Well, them barefoot boys, they left their homes for the woods
Them little barefoot street boys, they said homes ain't no good
They left the corners, threw away all of their switchblade knives
And kissed each other goodbye

Johnny was sittin' on the fire escape watchin' the kids playin' down in the street
He called down, "Hey, little heroes, summer's long, but I guess it ain't very sweet around here anymore"
Janey sleeps in sheets damp with sweat; Johnny sits up alone and watches her dream on, dream on
And the sister prays for lost souls, then breaks down in the chapel after everyone's gone
Jane moves over to share her pillow but opens her eyes to see Johnny up and putting his clothes on
She sighs, "Those romantic young boys, all they ever want to do is fight"
Those romantic young boys, they're callin' through the window:
"Hey, Spanish Johnny, you want to make a little easy money tonight?"
And Johnny whispered, "Goodnight, it's all right, Jane
I'll meet you tomorrow night on Lover's Lane
We may find it out on the street tonight, baby
Or we may walk until the daylight, maybe"

Well, goodnight, it's all right, Jane
I'll meet you tomorrow night on Lover's Lane
Now we may find it out on, on the street tonight, baby
Or we may have to walk until the morning light, maybe

Goodnight, it's all right, Jane...

Last edited:
Outside of Family and Friends music has always been that other constant companion in my life and its influence has been both subtle and profound .And no more profound then in my late teens, when life seemed painful and raw. But by chance I stumbled on to Jackson Browne and his music, who spoke from the heart of lifes lessons and love.And of all his work this song spoke the most about living your life,loss,meaning and death, which resonates even more now as I enter the autumn years of my life.

So... 'go on and make joyful sound'....

Keep a fire burning in your eye
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down
I don't remember losing track of you
You were always dancing in and out of view
I must have thought you'd always be around
Always keeping things real by playing the clown
Now you're nowhere to be found

I don't know what happens when people die
Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try
It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear
That I can't sing
I can't help listening
And I can't help feeling stupid standing 'round
Crying as they ease you down
'Cause I know that you'd rather we were dancing
Dancing our sorrow away
(Right on dancing)
No matter what fate chooses to play
(There's nothing you can do about it anyway)

Just do the steps that you've been shown
By everyone you've ever known
Until the dance becomes your very own
No matter how close to yours
Another's steps have grown
In the end there is one dance you'll do alone

Keep a fire for the human race
Let your prayers go drifting into space
You never know what will be coming down
Perhaps a better world is drawing near
And just as easily it could all disappear
Along with whatever meaning you might have found
Don't let the uncertainty turn you around
(The world keeps turning around and around)
Go on and make a joyful sound

Into a dancer you have grown
From a seed somebody else has thrown
Go on ahead and throw some seeds of your own
And somewhere between the time you arrive
And the time you go
May lie a reason you were alive
But you'll never know

Last edited:

Started listening to Insomnium a little before my father passed, a few years ago. I listened to this song a lot afterwards and it is hard to listen to nowadays because of that, but it was very significant for me at the time. Outside of my emotional attachment, the main piano and guitar riffs are hauntingly good, the lyrics are very touching and poetic, the vocals are emotionally charged (but an acquired taste if you aren't into metal I guess), and the solo is probably my favourite ever - an incredible peak. Perfect song IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back