Sport The Official Essendon Tennis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So, anybody paying attention to the lead up tournaments?

In Brisbane Tomic is doing fairly well, has to play Nishikori in the QF which he can hopefully win. Stosur lost in the 2nd round to Carla Suarez Navarro, who is a pretty good player.

Australia "Green" (Kyrgios and Daria Gavrilova) is doing pretty well in the Hopman Cup, top of their group and if they win 1 match against France (which should happen) and take 1 set in their other 2 games they get through to the final. Australia "Gold" (Hewitt and Jamilar Wolfe) doing not as well but are still a chance of getting through if they win 3-0 today, starting at 1 PM AEDT.

"And if you download the 7live App, you can watch any court"
I hate watching stuff on my iPod.

But seriously, they're missing opening points of the next game pretty much every ad break. Which is very annoying, especially if you've got players like Groth who get through points quickly.

What's more intriguing?

Not taking much notice of the 11/32 seeded woman already knocked out of the singles draw.
12. Halep out in straight sets. Only 3 out of the 5 top 10 players on this side of the draw still in it.

May be going early here but looks increasingly likely number 13 will be out with our very own young Gavrilova dishing it to Petra Kivitova.
1. 14, Kuznezova went out.
2. 5-3, should get up.

Sorry if it's #unbecoming to bring this up so far from the punting board, but William Hill have an excellent promotion up at the moment where you get $1 for each ace your player serves (on head-to-head bets of at least $20). Isner, Raonic, Muller, Lopez, Wawrinka, Troicki, Monfils, Tomic and to a lesser degree Johnson all playing tomorrow, solid favourites and ace-friendly. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if it's #unbecoming to bring this up so far from the punting board, but William Hill have an excellent promotion up at the moment where you get $1 for each ace your player serves (on head-to-head bets of at least $20). Isner, Raonic, Muller, Lopez, Wawrinka, Troicki, Monfils, Tomic and to a lesser degree Johnson all playing tomorrow, solid favourites and ace-friendly. :thumbsu:
Damn, I was hoping for a limit less than that. Otherwise I would have put a sneaky $5 on Groth

What should our Davis Cup squad be? I'd go with 4 players:

Tomic, Kyrgios, Groth, John Peers (8 in the world in doubles).

Revers singles go with Tomic and Kyrgios, doubles go Groth and Peers. If a 5th is necessary, throw a bone to Omar Jasika, looks a good prospect.

Gavrilova can play.

She looks to have a touch of the pork chop about her, though.
I think she's just a bit excitable is all.

So, Maria Sharapova has tested positive to a recently banned drug. Been taking the drug for 10 years for health reasons but only became banned on January 1. Guess her reason for pulling out of Indian Wells wasn't an arm injury... :$

I'm not reinventing the wheel here...

But Nick Kyrgios, what a colossal clown.
I know it's easy for me to say now (doing a Yaco), but I thought he was a flog well before everyone else did. Everyone was saying he's young and refreshing but I thought he was a w***er from early on his career when he started to get exposure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back