80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Geelong mate. Spoilt for choice particularly around the Bellerine Peninsula. Heaps of nice courses within a 30 minute drive.

joining a social group will get you a handicap and they organise golf days for the group too. why not join say 13th beach?

joining a social group will get you a handicap and they organise golf days for the group too. why not join say 13th beach?

So would a social handicap allow you to compete in local club comps or would you need to be a member of the club ?

13th beach is very nice apparently, don't think the mrs would be too happy with me spending two and a half grand on a membership tho! Plus I've only taken up the game in the last year so probably not a course I'd be up to playing week in week out just yet. Had thought about joining up at Portarlington, but it's a 40 minute drive from and with a business and young family I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get down there every week and get full use out of the membership.

So would a social handicap allow you to compete in local club comps or would you need to be a member of the club ?

13th beach is very nice apparently, don't think the mrs would be too happy with me spending two and a half grand on a membership tho! Plus I've only taken up the game in the last year so probably not a course I'd be up to playing week in week out just yet. Had thought about joining up at Portarlington, but it's a 40 minute drive from and with a business and young family I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get down there every week and get full use out of the membership.

fair enough too.

yes, i believe so. once you have a handicap you can play at any course that allows you on (i.e. private courses you need to be accompanied by a member, cant just rock up).

http://www.socialgolfaustralia.com.au/index.php?sectionID=8393&pageID=12249

public courses have comps too.

Very ordinary 31 yesterday, could tell having a putt before the round that it was going to be ugly and lets just say it lived up to the billing.. Too much work and no practice in the last 2-3 weeks really hurts.

Played Point Lonsdale today. Par 71 course in nice condition , not overly long but challenging enough for hacks like me and would also test lower handicappers. Drizzled on an off most of the morning but didn't really effect my game. Hit 97 which I was prett happy with considering I'm new to the game. A 7,9 and a 6 on a 120 meter par 3 on the back 9 blew my score out which was disappointing. Decent clubhouse and beer garden for a beer afterwards as well. All in all a very nice course and will definitely go back and play down there again.

Played Point Lonsdale today. Par 71 course in nice condition , not overly long but challenging enough for hacks like me and would also test lower handicappers. Drizzled on an off most of the morning but didn't really effect my game. Hit 97 which I was prett happy with considering I'm new to the game. A 7,9 and a 6 on a 120 meter par 3 on the back 9 blew my score out which was disappointing. Decent clubhouse and beer garden for a beer afterwards as well. All in all a very nice course and will definitely go back and play down there again.

Nice work brother, anyone who is new to golf breaking 100 is a really good effort. It will always be the "blow out" holes that really hurt!!

Nice work brother, anyone who is new to golf breaking 100 is a really good effort. It will always be the "blow out" holes that really hurt!!

Cheers mate! When I say new to golf I've been playing for about a year and basically once a week for the past 6 months so I've got a few rounds under my belt now. Broke under 80 for the first time the other week but that was at a really short course where I can just use irons off every tee. Get found out sometimes on the longer courses as I'm very erratic on the driver eg- I slice my driver massively and am prone to the occasional duff shot!

I've become addicted to the great game tho and my only regret is that I never got into when I was younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a couple of rounds on the weekend. 9 hole stableford where I confirmed to myself that I'm mentally weak. 13 points after being 5 after 2. Did a 2 man ambrose comp as well. First time I'd done one and it was a cracker. We had a handicap of 10 and shot 72 off the stick. Not quite the win but a decent enough result

jesus breaking 100, and a sub 80? which courses did you do <80?

ive broken 100 once in my life, been playing for YEARS!!!

keep it up!

Haha well from what I've read you play at a tough course I'd hate to think what I'd score there if I had bad day!

Broke the 80 at Geelong CC, it's a 9 hole course and it's pretty small. Par 66 I think and it's got 4 par 3's and 4 par 4's under 300 meters. So I don't really think it's a true indicator of how well you might be going. Playing a par 71 or 72 course I find I'll hit around 100-105 if I'm playing well with the 97 I hit yesterday the first time I've hit under 100 on a longer track.

Haha well from what I've read you play at a tough course I'd hate to think what I'd score there if I had bad day!

Broke the 80 at Geelong CC, it's a 9 hole course and it's pretty small. Par 66 I think and it's got 4 par 3's and 4 par 4's under 300 meters. So I don't really think it's a true indicator of how well you might be going. Playing a par 71 or 72 course I find I'll hit around 100-105 if I'm playing well with the 97 I hit yesterday the first time I've hit under 100 on a longer track.

that is true, the courses i play are varied but not easy. but i feel no course is "easy". if it were we'd all be shooting under par.

of course, true test comes from comp play when pressure is on, and rules are stringent. unplayables, hitting 3rd shot or more from the tee etc has a tremendous impact

that is true, the courses i play are varied but not easy. but i feel no course is "easy". if it were we'd all be shooting under par.

of course, true test comes from comp play when pressure is on, and rules are stringent. unplayables, hitting 3rd shot or more from the tee etc has a tremendous impact

Totally agree here... my caddie in Thailand wanted me to cheat!! like hit one into the jungle which was red stake hazard and she wanted to drive forward 50m to a drop zone when there was a drop zone 20m behind where I was searching! back I went!! If you get into the bad habit of counting the odd mulligan or not counting penalty shots for unplayables or water balls... you are kidding yourself and you will find it very tough if you ever play proper comp.

Totally agree here... my caddie in Thailand wanted me to cheat!! like hit one into the jungle which was red stake hazard and she wanted to drive forward 50m to a drop zone when there was a drop zone 20m behind where I was searching! back I went!! If you get into the bad habit of counting the odd mulligan or not counting penalty shots for unplayables or water balls... you are kidding yourself and you will find it very tough if you ever play proper comp.

of course a little different playing with caddies :D

but yes, apply rules of golf NOW when you're young golf wise. learn and you'll become a better golfer and person.

cause if you cheat in comp, the golf gods are not forgiving

of course a little different playing with caddies :D

but yes, apply rules of golf NOW when you're young golf wise. learn and you'll become a better golfer and person.

cause if you cheat in comp, the golf gods are not forgiving

Nor playing partners hopefully!

Luckily the group I play with take the game seriously and we've all got competitive natures so there's no cheating going on and we play by the rules. Nothing shits me more then when marking down scores and your playing partner says he had a 5 for example but you know full well he'd had a 7!!

Even tho we aren't playing comp I don't see the point of not trying to play the game properly.

Luckily the group I play with take the game seriously and we've all got competitive natures so there's no cheating going on and we play by the rules. Nothing shits me more then when marking down scores and your playing partner says he had a 5 for example but you know full well he'd had a 7!!

Even tho we aren't playing comp I don't see the point of not trying to play the game properly.

do they have handicap? if they dont and plan on getting on, cheating will catch up and chew u up and spit u out big time. why? cause as your round scores get better and better, your handicap comes down. it will reach a line where they cant cheat any more to the point that handicap will go back out

join Howlong for $99 - country membership

gives you your handicap and you can then play in almost all club comps (may not be eligible for awards on the day tho)

join Howlong for $99 - country membership

gives you your handicap and you can then play in almost all club comps (may not be eligible for awards on the day tho)

Where's Howlong mate ? Would getting a membership there let you play local comps in Geelong ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back