80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
heard varying reports on barnbougle and lost farm. mostly both excellent, some for bougle only, some LF only. interested to hear thoughts of posters here
I loved both courses. 4 of us made the trip and carried on like a footy trip with some golf in between. Lost Farm was a great starter and there are some ripping holes. The Dunes course is obviously older and more settled but i reckon there is little between them. Great courses and i cannot recommend highly enough to get down there!

Played the Black Bull at Yarrawonga over the xmas break. Very nice golf course even though it is pretty new. Greens were really good. Only negative was the heat and lack of a clubhouse for post golf beers.
Oh and the sand... Near hit every bunker on the back nine cruelling my score.

OK so Red Mountain in Thailand has happened.. Funny story I was supposed to be playing with a local but he had been in Bangkok for a wedding gotten smashed and lost his wallet, couldn't fly back to Phuket in time to join me. So my 50% discount for playing with a local went down to 20%.. I protested but got nowhere. Had a quick look at the card before we hit off 6800 yards on the card off the BLACK tees so I thought "Be a man, do the right thing"

I was left wondering if it was the right choice after a scrambling bogey at the first. 2nd is a beautiful uphill par 5 that doglegs 90deg to the right. Hit a poor tee shot but recovered back to the fairway and then hit a nice SW to 10 feet and rolled it in for birdie.... I'm back baby!! the rest of the front nine was misread putts, 3 putts from very difficult spots on the greens. Mixture of some pretty severe slopes and bit of grain makes them VERY quick down hill down grain. Caddy sold me up the garden path at number 8 telling me it was 240m to carry some water from a tee perched ontop of a hill.. I beautifully struck driver had me thinking birdie or even better only to find the water... grabbed my laser out of my back to check the carry her 240 was 60m out and unfortunately even from altitude with a little wind helping 300m carry is beyond me!!

10th started with a beautiful par 4 pic below
upload_2016-1-20_0-13-58.png

From there my golf improved a fair bit with a few pars, a few missed birdies over the next 4 or 5 holes

15th another great looking hole with the "Red Mountains" as a backdrop
upload_2016-1-20_0-16-36.png

16th is 300 yard par 4 with trouble on both sides of the fairway!! Fortune favours the brave right? So out comes the M1 and a perfect strong fade saw me with 15 feet down the hill for a 2... which when right in the centre never looked like missing.

17th is an amazing 170m par 3 that goes down about 60m in elevation from the very top of a hill down into a valley 9iron to 8 feet OMG I had no idea in the air if it was going to be 40feet short or flying over the back when the ball was in the air... it seemed to be up there for about 10 seconds.. amazing hole!! unfortunately 3 putted a really quick little sliding putt for a bogey.

18th is such a spectacular par 5 that I hacked my way to a 6 to finish... but it was almost a pleasure to make 6 on that hole as I got even longer to enjoy this view!!
upload_2016-1-20_0-21-40.png

Shot 80 in the end with 3 x 3 putts, 1 in the water and 2 in the jungle off the tee. Super challenging fun golf course to play!! Can't recommend it enough for golf lovers that head to Thailand.

OK so Red Mountain in Thailand has happened.. Funny story I was supposed to be playing with a local but he had been in Bangkok for a wedding gotten smashed and lost his wallet, couldn't fly back to Phuket in time to join me. So my 50% discount for playing with a local went down to 20%.. I protested but got nowhere. Had a quick look at the card before we hit off 6800 yards on the card off the BLACK tees so I thought "Be a man, do the right thing"

I was left wondering if it was the right choice after a scrambling bogey at the first. 2nd is a beautiful uphill par 5 that doglegs 90deg to the right. Hit a poor tee shot but recovered back to the fairway and then hit a nice SW to 10 feet and rolled it in for birdie.... I'm back baby!! the rest of the front nine was misread putts, 3 putts from very difficult spots on the greens. Mixture of some pretty severe slopes and bit of grain makes them VERY quick down hill down grain. Caddy sold me up the garden path at number 8 telling me it was 240m to carry some water from a tee perched ontop of a hill.. I beautifully struck driver had me thinking birdie or even better only to find the water... grabbed my laser out of my back to check the carry her 240 was 60m out and unfortunately even from altitude with a little wind helping 300m carry is beyond me!!

10th started with a beautiful par 4 pic below
View attachment 208103

From there my golf improved a fair bit with a few pars, a few missed birdies over the next 4 or 5 holes

15th another great looking hole with the "Red Mountains" as a backdrop
View attachment 208104

16th is 300 yard par 4 with trouble on both sides of the fairway!! Fortune favours the brave right? So out comes the M1 and a perfect strong fade saw me with 15 feet down the hill for a 2... which when right in the centre never looked like missing.

17th is an amazing 170m par 3 that goes down about 60m in elevation from the very top of a hill down into a valley 9iron to 8 feet OMG I had no idea in the air if it was going to be 40feet short or flying over the back when the ball was in the air... it seemed to be up there for about 10 seconds.. amazing hole!! unfortunately 3 putted a really quick little sliding putt for a bogey.

18th is such a spectacular par 5 that I hacked my way to a 6 to finish... but it was almost a pleasure to make 6 on that hole as I got even longer to enjoy this view!!
View attachment 208108

Shot 80 in the end with 3 x 3 putts, 1 in the water and 2 in the jungle off the tee. Super challenging fun golf course to play!! Can't recommend it enough for golf lovers that head to Thailand.

what is a round worth if you dont mind me asking?

having played the game of golf in asia, i concur with everything you said Brown n Gold
it's really something out of this world. i dont think people generally understand what it's like, service wise, and attentiveness.

i played at Capitol a few years ago. while service was great (including provision of hot food brought out on course), and a caddy, it pales into insignificance compared to what you and i experienced.

i encourage everyone in this thread to play in asia if you can.

more importantly, did you partake in post round activities of the rub down variety

what is a round worth if you dont mind me asking?

Ended up costing me around A$250 there are tours available that offer discounts if you go on a golf trip and play several courses. I apparently received a 20% discount off the "rack rate" which included 18 holes, cart, caddie, caddie tip

Expensive!! but you cannot get a golf experience like that in many places in the world! in the last 18months I have played Hapuna Beach in Hawaii, Danang Golf Club in Vietnam and now Red Mountain.. all were expensive! but I have played on Seaside sandbelt in Vietnam, on the side of a volcano in Hawaii and in the mountainous jungle in Thailand #lifeexperiences

having played the game of golf in asia, i concur with everything you said Brown n Gold
it's really something out of this world. i dont think people generally understand what it's like, service wise, and attentiveness.

i played at Capitol a few years ago. while service was great (including provision of hot food brought out on course), and a caddy, it pales into insignificance compared to what you and i experienced.

i encourage everyone in this thread to play in asia if you can.

more importantly, did you partake in post round activities of the rub down variety

LOL Peter, I used to baulk at paying big bucks to play at these places O/S... but haven't regretted one round that I have played.

For the record, I did finish the day with the obligatory rub down but I went the very professional route not the dirty off the street variety...

Ended up costing me around A$250 there are tours available that offer discounts if you go on a golf trip and play several courses. I apparently received a 20% discount off the "rack rate" which included 18 holes, cart, caddie, caddie tip

Expensive!! but you cannot get a golf experience like that in many places in the world! in the last 18months I have played Hapuna Beach in Hawaii, Danang Golf Club in Vietnam and now Red Mountain.. all were expensive! but I have played on Seaside sandbelt in Vietnam, on the side of a volcano in Hawaii and in the mountainous jungle in Thailand #lifeexperiences

but you know when you go overseas you generally spend more without blinking. this one time i found myself in a strip club in LA. had a few beers and though i cant remember how much exactly i thought it's expensive.

anyway $250 for all that? hmmm. at my club a guest round costs say 115 on weekend + 50 for cart (I think) = 165. so for extra $85 it covers the caddie and tip. i think its ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Peter, I used to baulk at paying big bucks to play at these places O/S... but haven't regretted one round that I have played.

For the record, I did finish the day with the obligatory rub down but I went the very professional route not the dirty off the street variety...

it's ok, you can tell the truth here. no one will tell

but you know when you go overseas you generally spend more without blinking. this one time i found myself in a strip club in LA. had a few beers and though i cant remember how much exactly i thought it's expensive.

anyway $250 for all that? hmmm. at my club a guest round costs say 115 on weekend + 50 for cart (I think) = 165. so for extra $85 it covers the caddie and tip. i think its ok.

I think it's all relative, when you are over there you are used to drinking beers for $2, eating out for $10 buying a years supply of Bin Tang singlets for $10 having teeth whitened for $30, having your sleeve tattooed for $200 and having a "lady" back to your hotel room for $150 for the whole night... so $250 for a game of golf seems like highway robbery!!

Sorry to go off-topic, absolutely loving the pictures and banter above :thumbsu:

Playing social 10 hole twilight round at Lancefield GC last night and hit my best drive of the evening long and straight down the middle and moments later the head of my driver snapped right off! It was a cheapo driver that was given to me and I have a spare I can use this weekend but it was the driver i could consistently find the fairway with.

What are the costs with getting something like that re-shafted? Being an el-cheapo driver I'm not sure whether to bother or not but it would be a shame to lose a club that i could rely upon.

Sorry to go off-topic, absolutely loving the pictures and banter above :thumbsu:

Playing social 10 hole twilight round at Lancefield GC last night and hit my best drive of the evening long and straight down the middle and moments later the head of my driver snapped right off! It was a cheapo driver that was given to me and I have a spare I can use this weekend but it was the driver i could consistently find the fairway with.

What are the costs with getting something like that re-shafted? Being an el-cheapo driver I'm not sure whether to bother or not but it would be a shame to lose a club that i could rely upon.

im not sure about resharfting costs sorry. i have a little concern about the shaft/head combo. what club is it? is it old, so old that there's nothing equal shaft wise?

http://www.sportsauthority.com/products/tommy-armour-mens-ta-26-torch-driver-p13335945

Same club as above. Reading the reviews I guess I should be happy I got a good 12 months out of it!

i guess like in life do whatever makes you happy. but visit a golf shop and see what they say. i feel with a "better" driver you will be benefited even more off the tee. it may take some getting used to, but if you want to invest in the game with regular rounds and/or comp, then its a good time to try some reputable drivers/brands

G'day fellas, is it possible to get a handicap without being a member of a club ? I play most weekends and would like to have a handicap and play in comps, but I like being able to play at different courses as there's plenty of good courses around my area. Cheers!

Was in Georgia, USA last week on business so decided to play at Augusta.

Managed to shoot a solid 62, including 2 eagles and 4 birdies.

G'day fellas, is it possible to get a handicap without being a member of a club ? I play most weekends and would like to have a handicap and play in comps, but I like being able to play at different courses as there's plenty of good courses around my area. Cheers!

join a social group. for a fee you get a handi and they hold golf days at various courses.

what are you in?

join a social group. for a fee you get a handi and they hold golf days at various courses.

what are you in?

Sorry I don't get what you mean by what am I in ? There's always between 4 to 8 of us that play most Sunday's. Would prefer to play Saturday's but obviously can't get onto most courses until the afternoon and we like to tee off early morning whenever possible

Sorry I don't get what you mean by what am I in ? There's always between 4 to 8 of us that play most Sunday's. Would prefer to play Saturday's but obviously can't get onto most courses until the afternoon and we like to tee off early morning whenever possible

sorry was supposed to be what area are you in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back