Workshop Cricket Kit Designs/Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In Test matches all teams wear the same colours,I can't see why they can't in limited overs cricket?
Here's my guess. It does make sense.
When Kerry Packer invented Night Cricket and they decided on the white ball, they played a few One-Dayers in white and the ball wouldn't have contrasted with the uniforms. So instead of making every team wear one colour that doesn't represent anyone, the teams could wear national colours and the like.

Asked the Southern Stars facebook yesterday why they're not wearing the same kit as the men (in this time of team integration such as matching BBL/WBBL franchises). Their response:
"This is our new T20 kit! You might remember previously we were in green."

Waiting to see if they reply to me pointing out that their new T20 kit is the same as the men's new ODI kit, and that when they were wearing green their T20 kit was the same as both the men's and womens' ODI kits.

o_O

The Black kit is specifically a KFC kit, as they sponsor the men's T20 team for home games and not the women's then that's why they wear them and the women don't. In away T20's we wear just our ODI kit as all away games are sponsored by Qantas. We wear the black kit in T20 world cups away though because they still feature KFC on the sleeve as a sponsor. I agree though, would be nice to see the mens and womens teams look the same and I'm sick of seeing us in black for world cups especially since we compete with New Zealand and I only associate New Zealand with the black kits

Here's my guess. It does make sense.
When Kerry Packer invented Night Cricket and they decided on the white ball, they played a few One-Dayers in white and the ball wouldn't have contrasted with the uniforms. So instead of making every team wear one colour that doesn't represent anyone, the teams could wear national colours and the like.

Good guess because that is one of the reasons. Up until the late 90's early 00's most one-dayers were not played wearing coloured kits and white balls (only in places where day-night games were played - mostly Australia and some in NZ), the white ball did clash with white uniforms so was one of the reasons coloured kits were added (also why other coloured balls including yellow, pink and orange were trialled). The others included making the game more appealing to people watching on TV, and distinguishing between the teams so non cricket fans could understand who was who (also the reason for names and then numbers).

However the away teams had no say in what they wore in those ODI's as it was the home nation/host of the series who decided and if coloured kits were used, the home naion had to provide the kits for the away nations, that is why for the majority of ODI's in the 80's and 90's all teams playing in Australia wore similar recoloured kits.

The Black kit is specifically a KFC kit, as they sponsor the men's T20 team for home games and not the women's then that's why they wear them and the women don't. In away T20's we wear just our ODI kit as all away games are sponsored by Qantas. We wear the black kit in T20 world cups away though because they still feature KFC on the sleeve as a sponsor. I agree though, would be nice to see the mens and womens teams look the same and I'm sick of seeing us in black for world cups especially since we compete with New Zealand and I only associate New Zealand with the black kits
The shitty green ODI kits from last summer had Carlton Mid on them for Men's ODIs and CommBank on them for women's ODIs and T20s.
27perryhealycelebrate.ashx

australia-cricket-icc-ranking-2087037.jpg

Sponsors don't own the kits. Especially not when their logo is just plastered on them in a white box like the KFC.

At the last WorldT20 the men had Commbank logos on the sleeve:
australia.jpg

As did the women, except they wore yellow:
australia%20women%20t20.jpg

Cricket Australia are half-assing T20 kits. For the men but not the women. For home but not away (the men always wear ODI kit in away T20s outside the WorldT20).

Australia only wear the Away ODI kit in Away T20s so they don't have the home supporters confused with who's playing.

Australia only wear the Away ODI kit in Away T20s so they don't have the home supporters confused with who's playing.
Coz the billing, the ticket, the scoreboard, and the green/gold bits of the kit wouldn't? And coz CA are that interested in the supporters of the team they're trying to beat? :p

The shitty green ODI kits from last summer had Carlton Mid on them for Men's ODIs and CommBank on them for women's ODIs and T20s.
27perryhealycelebrate.ashx

australia-cricket-icc-ranking-2087037.jpg

Sponsors don't own the kits. Especially not when their logo is just plastered on them in a white box like the KFC.

At the last WorldT20 the men had Commbank logos on the sleeve:
australia.jpg

As did the women, except they wore yellow:
australia%20women%20t20.jpg

Cricket Australia are half-assing T20 kits. For the men but not the women. For home but not away (the men always wear ODI kit in away T20s outside the WorldT20).

I stand corrected..Apologies, I didn't realise they had the comm bank on the sleeve for the 2012 T20 world cup. Just seems odd that ever since KFC started sponsoring home T20's we've had different funky kits. Come to think of it, KFC have always sponsored home T20s since they started here in 2005

I stand corrected..Apologies, I didn't realise they had the comm bank on the sleeve for the 2012 T20 world cup. Just seems odd that ever since KFC started sponsoring home T20's we've had different funky kits. Come to think of it, KFC have always sponsored home T20s since they started here in 2005
Exactly. Funky T20 kits started when T20s started, and KFC sponsorship started then too. If they wore the T20 kit in away T20s it would currently have Qantas on it, previously VB, etc. CA just can't be assed getting the kit made up, especially when the sponsors are the same as for the ODI kit. Slack. Another indicator that CA don't take international T20 seriously still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KFC will not be on the front as official ICC competitions do not allow for that (as KFC are not an official ICC sponsor), and the team wear the Cricket Australia coat of arms over the full Australian one, so yes it is fake.
Forgot about the no sponsors rule for ICC games.

Any chance of ochre instead of the green?
I'm actually doing a canary and black instead.

The Tweety Shirt.

Tweety would also be a neat nickname for T20 in general, given the similar phonetics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back