What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne Careys grand final record means he should not be in the discussion as the GOAT, Kernahan, Brereton, Dunstall and Salmon should get more credit for their performances in grand finals then what they actually get.
Kernahan the GOAT? You're having a laugh.

Wayne Careys grand final record means he should not be in the discussion as the GOAT, Kernahan, Brereton, Dunstall and Salmon should get more credit for their performances in grand finals then what they actually get.
Carey's GF record was ordinary (4 goals in 3 GF's) especially considering his exulted status as TBE.

Kernahan and Salmon were very solid in GF's and Brereton and Dunstall exceptional. Really good big game players all of them.

Agree with your opinion whole heartedly.

My unpopular opinion?
That ricky nixon and warrick capper are horrible human beings and not funny.
Well done on not being suspended. Nice ironic post with an indisputable popular opinion.

Last edited:

Sticks had 17 goals in 4 GFs, 65 In 20 finals games all up which was better than his career average of 2.94 per game. Got better later as he moved to FF for the second part of his career. Definitely deserves more credit.

Last edited:
The problem these clubs were always going to have is player retention. It is difficult to build a team capable of winning a Premiership when so much time has to be spent convincing highly rated young players to stick it out at a club with no history and little local support. It's all very well for the AFL to consider having a club in the rapidly expanding western region of Sydney or the Gold Coast essential for the Leagues future reach but for the young players it has to be tough to drafted to these AFL outposts. As hard as the people running these clubs work at building a culture the fact is that the opportunity to play at an established AFL club, located in an AFL mad city must be a massive lure.

Didnt worry Brisbane or Sydney in the past 15 years.
5 premierships between them. Just out of interest that is far more than the SA and WA teams combined in that time period (2).

If you get a strong team, and a good environment, people will stay.

Sticks had 17 goals in 4 GFs, 65 In 20 finals games all up which was better than his career average of 2.94 per game. Got better later as he moved to FF for the second part of his career. Definitely deserves more credit.

Darren Jarman was better in grand finals than any of those listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darren Jarman was better in grand finals than any of those listed.

That's nice. The discussion wasn't about who was the best in GFs though, just which key forwards deserve more credit than they currently get.

Or is that your unpopular opinion?

96 - 22 touches 9 marks 1.3
98 - 13 touches 5 marks 1.4
99 - 12 touches 5 marks 2.0

pretty sure his 'finals' record would be equal to or better in terms of goals per game but not grand finals.

i do remember him playing on the ball in the 3rd quarter of the 99 gf making the forward line more unpredictable and less obvious and that we kicked away that quarter.

so perhaps like buddy in 08 it was a bit of a decoy role to confuse the opposition.

pretty sure i read somewhere that he was 3rd in norm smith voting for 96

The fallacy that Hawthorn has benefited the most from FA. So many times I've read that comment on here and it just goes to show how ignorant or deliberately obtuse the majority of the BigFooty posters are.

Gains from FA:

Jonathan Simpkin
Was delisted by Geelong. Good depth player, since delisted.

James Frawley
He is/was apparently a completely average defender according to BigFooty. Melbourne received pick #3, which they would have taken in an open trade if offered every day of the week.

Losses to FA:

Lance Franklin
Best forward in the game, top 3 player when on song and our best and most damaging player. Worthy of two top 5 picks, yet we received nothing close to his true value – pick 19 (which then became pick 18 when traded to St Kilda).

Xavier Ellis
Good depth player. Received nothing for him, though he was replaceable.

Clinton Young
Reasonable depth player, would not have gotten many games considering Hill and Smith had overtaken him. Was an unrestricted free agent and Hawthorn received a 3rd round pick, not bad compensation. Replaceable player.

Matthew Suckling
Very good player with a recognized lethal left-foot, perfect for Hawthorn but maybe not for a poorer side. Received an end of second round pick. Most likely replaceable.

Wouldn't have thought that's unpopular...
Ya reckon?
They sell out comedy shows, see their facebook? They are loved. Girls included it really does my head in. Ricky nixon has done things I would be so ashamed of. Im not a prude just a normal bloke .. But he crossed the line of humanity many times ... Yet he is proud and people applaud. I dont get it.
Such show ponies who think they are special and have an explanation for all their shocking behaviour.

Sick. Cannot believe he hasnt been bashed or anything. Why??
And respected people even fight for him. WTF???

Read my post again, said nothing about salary. The money from the awards he won that year from the media.

But why is that any different?
Should he hand his sponsorship dollars back too?

If you start down that path, there's no stopping it.

As much as the Essendon players are guilty by the letter of the law, they've been massively sold down the river by their club. I think the embarrassment and public shaming, plus a year off is plenty enough punishment

Ya reckon?
They sell out comedy shows, see their facebook? They are loved. Girls included it really does my head in. Ricky nixon has done things I would be so ashamed of. Im not a prude just a normal bloke .. But he crossed the line of humanity many times ... Yet he is proud and people applaud. I dont get it.
Such show ponies who think they are special and have an explanation for all their shocking behaviour.

Sick. Cannot believe he hasnt been bashed or anything. Why??
And respected people even fight for him. WTF???
#ChickenGoesBang

But why is that any different?
Should he hand his sponsorship dollars back too?

If you start down that path, there's no stopping it.

As much as the Essendon players are guilty by the letter of the law, they've been massively sold down the river by their club. I think the embarrassment and public shaming, plus a year off is plenty enough punishment

I understand what you're saying and you have a fair point.

But If you're going to take an individual award off him like the Brownlow, don't you think it's fair that you take the other individual awards off him as well?

So he can keep his All Australian award but hand back his Brownlow? How does that make sense? How about the other media awards that gave him money and prizes for being player of the year?

Either keep it all or lose it all. No half measures, can't pick or choose.

I understand what you're saying and you have a fair point.

But If you're going to take an individual award off him like the Brownlow, don't you think it's fair that you take the other individual awards off him as well?

So he can keep his All Australian award but hand back his Brownlow? How does that make sense? How about the other media awards that gave him money and prizes for being player of the year?

Either keep it all or lose it all. No half measures, can't pick or choose.

Well with the browlow its easy to 're-assign' the award. There were vote getters that came 2nd etc.

To re-assign an all Australian spot is almost impossible. I think the AFL would rather spare the embarassment of having 20 players in a 22 player all australian side, than picking another couple of players or leaving spots blank.

Plus getting prizes back like that would require court action, and I'm sure the sponsors cbf with the media attention trying to get their car back, and then not give it to anyone else.

I see what you're saying, but its a slippery slope.

Should Ben Cousins have his brownlow stripped now has admitted he was on gear during game days?

Personally I'm in the minority but I think he should keep his awards.

I am starting to think that my thought on the AFL's fixturing being alright is an unpopular opinion...

that's straight up lunacy mate

Well with the browlow its easy to 're-assign' the award. There were vote getters that came 2nd etc.

To re-assign an all Australian spot is almost impossible. I think the AFL would rather spare the embarassment of having 20 players in a 22 player all australian side, than picking another couple of players or leaving spots blank.

Plus getting prizes back like that would require court action, and I'm sure the sponsors cbf with the media attention trying to get their car back, and then not give it to anyone else.

I see what you're saying, but its a slippery slope.

Should Ben Cousins have his brownlow stripped now has admitted he was on gear during game days?

Personally I'm in the minority but I think he should keep his awards.
Unless there has been a recent story I'm unaware of, Cousins was always adamant he never took drugs the day of, the day before or even 2 days before a game ever. He specifically addressed that issue multiple times. If you've ever taken recreational drugs you would know it would be very here to perform on them as an elite athlete.

I agree with the rest of your point though, if he loses one award, it stands to reason that he loses them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back