2017 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean Draft/trade period then say it, sunshine.

I agree he would be behind Lewis, Viney, Jones, Vince Brayshaw and Tyson. Petracca is a stretch given his forward line role, however i do believe you have a gem in him. Oliver should be good but is just as unproven as Steele. Pass hard on Stretch and Salem.

Oliver should be good ? He'll be the best we've got.

He was the only (real) first year player to poll Brownlow votes in 2016 and did so in two games, including his very first AFL game as an 18 year old. I get you probably haven't seen much of him.

Salem is arguably the classiest player on our list and you'll understand why if he gets a full preseason; and Stretch is a very good young player. He averaged 18.3 disposals in his second year and became a permanent member of the best 22, playing 15 of the last 16 games (including 22 possessions and a goal in the win over Hawthorn).

Petracca is a born mid and will spend more time there in 2017.

But I do think Steele will be good and unquestionably he chose the Saints over others.

Hopefully we can beat you one day :) We hadn't beaten Hawthorn since 2006 also ...

Oliver should be good ? He'll be the best we've got.

He was the only (real) first year player to poll Brownlow votes in 2016 and did so in two games, including his very first AFL game as an 18 year old. I get you probably haven't seen much of him.

Salem is arguably the classiest player on our list and you'll understand why if he gets a full preseason; and Stretch is a very good young player. He averaged 18.3 disposals in his second year and became a permanent member of the best 22, playing 15 of the last 16 games (including 22 possessions and a goal in the win over Hawthorn).

Petracca is a born mid and will spend more time there in 2017.

But I do think Steele will be good and unquestionably he chose the Saints over others.

Hopefully we can beat you one day :) We hadn't beaten Hawthorn since 2006 also ...
Oliver best you've got? Really? I would pay a lot more for Petracca, although you are correct limited knowledge on Olivers games after the first few games.

I thought the same about Dunstan that you do Stretch, now it looks like he probably isn't best 22 to start the year depending on injuries and the like.

Well we seem to be able to beat the bulldogs and can't manage to beat the Gold Coast which cost us a finals berth so the struggle is real.

Glad you agree he's a depth player.
Well I for one wasn't able to get him into our 22 when I did it for the best 22 thread a couple of days ago. Which augurs very well for us, given that he most likely would have been the one to come in to GWS's prelim side for Stevie J, had he not broken his foot a week or so earlier- and will hopefully have a 3rd preseason under his belt by the start of next season, and as such be better for it than he was this year.

"Stunned" is a bit rich. You're basically implying it's a one horse race, which is ludicrous.

I acknowledged already they have a brilliant list, which is mostly due to being afforded the benefit of having access in several years to the best young talent in the country. That doesn't guarantee they will play finals, though. It didn't in 2015. Things clicked for the Giants in 2016.

I'm happy to have a bet with you the Giants don't finish on top of the ladder if you're so certain. Have you got access to Betfair so this could be made possible?

I think GWS' improvement in 2016 was just a natural progression which will pick up even more now that their core youngsters are pretty much all in the 50-100 game zone. Their experienced players shouldn't decline much if at all and none of their kids have peaked yet. Add Deledio to their 22 along with their natural improvement and I don't see any other team coming close to them if they play near their best.

Not interested in betting, that's one vice that doesn't appeal to me.

1. Swans
2. GWS
3. Eagles
4. Bulldogs
5. Saints
6. Crows
7. Hawks
8. Dockers

9. Demons
10. Cats
11. Bombers
12. Kangaroos
13. Blues
14. Tigers
15. Magpies
16. Power
17. Lions
18. Suns

Usually 2 or 3 teams change in the 8 year-to-year. North is an obvious one, they’re never terrible though so the Roos won’t drop to the very bottom. Personal bias aside, I think Hawks *could* struggle. It will just come down to whether they beat the naturally improving Melbourne and St Kilda type teams. Same premise with the Cats.

I feel like there is around 14 teams that could make the 8 if things go well. Then again you just never know how a team could fall off (Freo this year).

Oliver best you've got? Really? I would pay a lot more for Petracca, although you are correct limited knowledge on Olivers games after the first few games.
after watching both this year I'd have Oliver over Petracca, that's debatable though and I'm sure many opinions will differ.

In nine of the last 13 seasons, a team has missed the finals the following year after finishing top four. Six of those nine teams have been non Victorian. In addition to that, the competition is a lot tougher and more competitive now than it was 13 years ago (even if only for the fact of an additional two teams).

GWS, although I agree they have a brilliant list, have still only played finals once. They lost three of their final four games at their home ground, which was meant to be a fortress.

I believe that potentially the Lachie Whitfield saga will be a distraction.

It is therefore not unreasonable to predict GWS will not play finals in 2017.

2015: Fremantle finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2014: Port Adelaide finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2012: Adelaide finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2010: Bulldogs finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2008: Hawthorn finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2007: Port Adelaide finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2006: Fremantle finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2004: Brisbane finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
2003: Collingwood finished top four and missed the finals the following year.
The Bulldogs are more likely to bomb out than the Giants. No chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's is true, but adelaide last year was given a real tough draw and it didn't affect them, maybe it's not such an influence. Ports draw was relatively easy wasn't it?
We were quite mediocre.

Draw still means a lot though, especially for interstate sides if they get the tough games at home.

doing ladders now is kinda pointless.

Not a troll. Perhaps I shouldn't have put North as low as 18th, but I think you might be bottom-4 and in a rebuild. It's just an opinion. I don't think Brisbane will win the spoon because teams tend not to 'win' that two seasons in a row.

Yeah, especially when Essendon won the spoon this year. By the way, North will play finals next year, bookmark it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Swans
2. Cats
3. Crows
4. GWS
5. Bulldogs
6. Eagles
7. Demons
8. Hawks

9. Port
10. Bombers
11. Saints
12. Blues
13. North
14. Freo
15. Magpies
16. Tigers
17. Lions
18. Suns

Love being put at 17th/18th by everyone. Of course it is just an opinion, so you can't take it personally. IMO I can't see us finish there, even with the awful run of injuries last season where we only had 25 to pick from we still managed 15th.

If all the talk about the backroom staff changing, medical etc. I can see us being around 8-12.

As for everyone else...

1. GWS
2. Swans
3. Bulldogs
4. Cats
5. Crows
6. Hawks
7. WC
8. Demons

9. Freo
10. Tigers
11. GC
12. Saints
13. Essendon
14. Port
15. Collingwood
16. Carlton
17. North Melbourne
18. Brisbane

1. Greater Western Sydney
2. Adelaide Crows
3. Western Bulldogs
4. West Coast Eagles
5. St Kilda
6. Fremantle
7. Melbourne
8. Geelong
----------
9. Collingwood
10. Hawthorn
11. Essendon
12. Sydney Swans
13. Port Adelaide
14. Carlton
15. North Melbourne
16. Gold Coast
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane

Changes to this year's top 8
IN - St Kilda, Fremantle, Melbourne
OUT - North, Sydney, Hawthorn
Every year some posters write off the swans. They will be good again next year.

Post-trade period:

1. GWS
2. Western Bulldogs
3. Melbourne
4. West Coast
5. Sydney
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Adelaide
----------------------------------------
9. Fremantle
10. Essendon
11. Gold Coast
12. Richmond
13. Hawthorn
14 .Brisbane
15. Port Adelaide
16. North Melbourne
17. Collingwood
18. Carlton

I'm OK with the top 8, but that bottom 10 looks too whack in my opinion. I think I'd have a better idea when the fixture is released and the preseason games have been played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back