Preview Rd 2 v Carlton. Etihad Stadium - Sat 1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Also no one has really mentioned it, but Jesse Joyce played on Matty Wright who kicked 5 last week, held him to one goal (which was in junk time). He was amazing today, real under achiever

I saw one occasions where he was just jogging back and a sprint for 30m could have cut off a pass.. Carlton were getting into an attacking position at a pretty critical time in the game - 3rd qtr I think
He looked absolutely buggered.
Nothing came of it in the end so no harm done, just wonder what his tank is like?
For someone with excellent kicking skills he could take his game to the next level by being the run off halfback person. Especially with Hanley out and Saad gone its an element we miss a little currently.

Great to get another W.

While it was great to have 97 tackles, I did see some cracks forming in our ability to stop their transition. Them having 67 inside 50s is a big concern - we were just lucky they couldn't capitalise. If we concede that sort of crazy amount next week or against any good team we're going to get thrashed. We also got hammered out of centre clearances for some reason. That's a bit concerning since Witts had power position all game.

I did notice that we had some of our best clearance players spending more time forward this week IE: Fiorini. I wonder if we're just trying to rest and rotate them out as part of the management? Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come and we can get back on top in that area, or we're going to leak a lot of scores.

Suns and Giants only teams that are 2-0. I'll let you know if Victoria burns down.
Great to get another W.

While it was great to have 97 tackles, I did see some cracks forming in our ability to stop their transition. Them having 67 inside 50s is a big concern - we were just lucky they couldn't capitalise. If we concede that sort of crazy amount next week or against any good team we're going to get thrashed. We also got hammered out of centre clearances for some reason. That's a bit concerning since Witts had power position all game.

I did notice that we had some of our best clearance players spending more time forward this week IE: Fiorini. I wonder if we're just trying to rest and rotate them out as part of the management? Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come and we can get back on top in that area, or we're going to leak a lot of scores.

Was thinking the same Sunny_ Carlton are a fast side and move the ball quickly and we couldn't set up well all the time. It was interesting as pointed out on the telecast that when they tried to switch we just let them and slid across to the defensive side. Part of Dew's new defensive structure that seems to be working for us. Our fumbling was like the Suns of old at times but thankfully Carlton were worse. We also look more dangerous and efficient going forward than in previous years.
I love Lyons and Spitta but let's face it neither would be rated elite (yet). When we come up against the sides with the top midfielders like Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide we could be in for some trouble around the clearances. This is where I love Dew's defensive tactics to stifle the ball and we are only going to get better the more we practice it. Interesting how Dew mentioned during the North game last week that the tactic was to rotate a lot of fresh players through there to keep the pressure up on the bigger North bodies. Seems to be working at present but I feel with all our travel and being a young side we are going to tire at some stage. Another couple of preseasons under Dewy's methods and we should hope to have a hardened list a la Sydney.
Second best thing to come out of the game after the win - no injuries!! In Dew we trust!!!

Great to get another W.

The quality of the ball going into their 50 was poor due to the pressure we put on their midfield further up the ground. In other years 67 entries would result in 18-20 goals. A lot of their entries were shallow and non threatening too. Our midfield is very young and can only get better as we progress.

The quality of the ball going into their 50 was poor due to the pressure we put on their midfield further up the ground. In other years 67 entries would result in 18-20 goals. A lot of their entries were shallow and non threatening too. Our midfield is very young and can only get better as we progress.
That's true, but we should be restricting teams to 50-55 inside 50s at most IMO. I think we relied quite a lot on our back 50 to win their contests and chance their luck with some close quarters handballs. It's just not sustainable.

I am wary of guys like Swallow and Lyons doing so much of the heavy lifting all season. I imagine this is where someone like Barlow comes in periodically just to take some pressure off. Brodie too.

That's true, but we should be restricting teams to 50-55 inside 50s at most IMO. I think we relied quite a lot on our back 50 to win their contests and chance their luck with some close quarters handballs. It's just not sustainable.

I am wary of guys like Swallow and Lyons doing so much of the heavy lifting all season. I imagine this is where someone like Barlow comes in periodically just to take some pressure off. Brodie too.
Lyons had 26 contested possessions and 14 clearances that is elite, just needs to be consistent. Swallow had 15 and 6 clearances. Both were under 65% efficiency. To win that convincely with players such as Harbrow, Fiorini, Bowes, Weller, Ainsworth, Young, Rischitelli, Miller and Kolodjashnij all didn't play at their best but did a role, shows our depth and the potential we have.

Dew has had immediate impact for us, it’s quite remarkable really. God knows where we would be with another year under Rocket.

I’m not expecting to win every game, but we look competitive for the first time in ages! Even Hall looks hungry.
Hello All
Great win considering we didn't have too many outstanding players.
That's a major credit to our coaching staff who totally changed our style of play.
Lets be honest we still have a long way to go to compete with the top sides but the foundations are
being set.
The positives from yesterdays game was the form of Tom Lynch,improvement in guys like Sam Day,Darcy Macpherson,
Jesse Joyce,Jack Bowes and Nick Holman.
Best five 1 Tom Lynch 2Jarrod Lyon 3 David Swallow 4 Jack Martin 5 Darcy Macperson(has surprised me)
Tough trip to Perth coming up.Reckon one win from the two games would be a good result.
Fremantle were super impressive,their leg speed will be a major problem as we do lack quality line breakers.
Just need to keep appyling the pressure we have in the first two games to have a chance

Had a look on the Carlton board ( I know I shouldn’t have) and as someone else mentioned they get stuck into us about our membership including their mod

I had to resist pointing out that a home game they expected to win from a club with 160 years of history only managed 28000 attendees.

Had a look on the Carlton board ( I know I shouldn’t have) and as someone else mentioned they get stuck into us about our membership including their mod

I had to resist pointing out that a home game they expected to win from a club with 160 years of history only managed 28000 attendees.

Haven’t looked since about 6pm last night...at that time their board was in serious meltdown over the shame of losing to those Damned Plastics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t looked since about 6pm last night...at that time their board was in serious meltdown over the shame of losing to those Damned Plastics

I also read a few comments bemoaning the fact that they were outplayed by a much older side, as the Suns had quite a few mid aged players up against their youngsters.....
Carlton's av age for their 22 yesterday was 24.4 and ours was 23.9, although they did have 1 x 18yo and 1x 19yo playing......

Had a quick peek for the lulz but got rather tired of it soon after. Quite sad that a once proud (albeit cheating) club has fallen so low for so long now. Probably explains their poor crowds.

Weller was fine and no worse than a few others. In fact some of his releasing handballs were outstanding. The standards some are holding him to are pretty high.

Yes he got caught holding the ball once - but it's his fourth game with the club. Give him time to learn the structures and get familiar with his teammates.

Weller was fine and no worse than a few others. In fact some of his releasing handballs were outstanding. The standards some are holding him to are pretty high.

Yes he got caught holding the ball once - but it's his fourth game with the club. Give him time to learn the structures and get familiar with his teammates.
Agreed Sunny. Give the boy another 2-3 weeks and I think he will prove his value to us. Takes pressure off of KK and Harbs out of that backline as well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

And we have Ballard waiting in the wings, building up nicely....all part of the deal.

And we have Ballard waiting in the wings, building up nicely....all part of the deal.
i still think Ballard is the steal of the deal , Weller will never be high possession getter . Weller is more of Rioli type without the spectacular mark . Very impress with Ballard pre draft video too .

I really did not focus on Weller during the game. But it seemed to me that all players played their roles. Yes, some players struggled a bit and yes, we did not make it easy for our defenders as Blues moved ball to their forward 50 way too easy. Also not exploiting Witts's dominance was a bit disappointing. I would have to watch the game again to assess Weller. Did somebody watched him closely? What was his role? Yes, I noticed one of his bad turnovers but he also had some great moves when the game opened up. Possibly, Weller played defensive role, run with some Blues players? His 14 disposal at 85% DE does not look bad. To suggest dropping Weller seems ridiculous to me at this stage. Very classy, usually does not make mistakes, great kick/disposal, can run all day, can play different roles. Only one change for me - if Hanley is ready he will replace Rischitelli. According to GCS (last Thu) Ah Chee still in rehab although not on injured list. GCS should do feature on him next week. Lemmens was supposed to played in reserves limited minutes. I would have him in but who would he replace? All our forwards played great. I enjoyed Sexton - Tom can thank him for 3 goals. How good was Macpherson. I was surprised he did some kick ins. His goal was telling - did kick in, then run across the field and ended up catching Tom's pass. I was annoyed by Ainsworth missing that super easy goal in first quarter and some Young's fumbling. Nobody appreciated Thompson but I think he was great, players he played on he shut them down all. I thought nobody could slow down Cripps but Holman did. He is our Barlow #2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back