Clarkson vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes not offering theories about how the game could be better. He is having a whinge about being beaten at his own game.

You really think he does things for the great good of the game. He does things to get his side an advantage.

It will no doubt be a Hawks free kick fest for the rest of the season.

You cant defend this stupidity because his players do the exact same things and block players on the mark aswell which is highly dubious. Its about time umpires called a 50 for them being in the protected area.

Poor old Hawks hey. Play GFs against interstate sides on their home ground. Who gets away with Blue murder.

Cry me a river Clarko
Salty tears , boo hoo

Or potentially that was the only time they could catch up. It may also have been a 5 minute part of 40 minute conversation

I think it is a more interesting question about McLachlin's judgement here about meeting a coach out of office like that

Thats fair.

And yes - I am questioning Gils judgement. There are many instances through his tenure where it has come into question IMO.
Surely Gil has the wisdom, given his position, to recognise how this looks and couldve arranged a more official meeting later in the week or diverted Clarko to go through appropriate channels, that I am sure are available, for coaches/clubs to raise this stuff.

Now i dont know how these instances are routinely managed in the AFL. For all we know, all coaches get an invitation for breakfasts with Gil.
I do know that this sounds shady and would suprise me if it was business as usual. And i would surmise from Longmuires complaints - that he has taken offence and that he, as an experienced AFL Coach, does not see this as a normal meeting between the CEO and another coach.

Last edited:
Commenting about the umpires after a loss should be met with a fine, not a meeting with the AFL CEO.

And why is the AFL CEO even discussing umpiring with a coach? Surely that's not his job. Should be Steve Hocking or the head of umpiring.

Sydney are excellent at defending high kicks and of course that means blocking for each other. Cal Mills was blocking Bugg miles off the ball last year and Buggy took matters in to his own hands! I wouldn't recommend that method but it's not like the other teams don't know what happens!

I'm not in favour of a heap more free kicks for it because I worry that will penalise teams who get 2 on 1's at a contest where a player rightfully holds their ground. I'd rather them miss a few than over call them because players will exploit that like all other rules. Find yourself out numbered 2 on 1 - easy solution - run in to the 2nd defender and throw your arms out like he's blocked you and you'll get a free.

Does anyone here think that blocking in marking contests is good for the game? He knows hawthorn do it. It’s an absolute blight on the game and if they paid the free kicks we would instantly get 5 more goals a game. It’s also killing the big marking contest. Want more goals? Want more speccies? Easy, start pinging people for shepherding out of marking contests. Pay enough frees and players will stop doing it

I don't, neither do you. But one of us is making a sweeping statement from a position of ignorance.
And I'll give you a hint, it wasn't me.

So you making a sweeping statement in response to a sweeping statement means I’m ignorant and you’re not? Ok...

It certainly looks that way.

Should have kept quiet in the presser & met privately with Gil if he has concerns.

Comes across as a sore loser the way he has gone about it.

I'm not against him sharing his thoughts, as he obviously knows his shit and his sentiments seem to be shared by your average fan.

He's just got to pick his timing a bit better.

It should be added that if the AFL considered addressing Clarkson's concerns, it isn;t even a change that would really benefit the Hawks. Our only big forward is an ageing Roughy.

Most other teams have better options in the big brute key forward. Unless Clarko kows soemthing about a key fwd coming to hawthorn soon...

Way to miss the point.

I thought it was a pretty well thought out post addressing the point.

Unless the point is a slam Clarkson circle jerk? We haven't had one for a while

First:
He gives an example where a free is paid to Sydney in the backline for a block, then the example when roughy gets blocked and no free kick. Which could be a 2 goal turn around. Then they show the smith example of smith and should've been a free to the swans I can admit that, thought on the night we got away with one. So therefore it would mean the grundy on roughy should've been a free, because its the correct call. I hope umpires don't think gee I missed one there better let them get away with one because that isn't the right way to go about. More umpires on the field may the best option to help with getting the wrong decisions correct and actually paying deserved free kicks that aren't always paid.

All Clarko and the fans want is consistency with calls. Is that too much to ask? I don't care if the call goes against or for us, if they are consistent for both teams I am happy. But when or if not the AFL is in major trouble.

Do you disagree or agree seeing that you linked me the video.
Agree. No problems with that.

Clarko targeting Sydney and more specifically Grundy and Rampe is my issue during the press conference. It's a broader issue and Hawthorn are not sqeauky clean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It should be added that if the AFL considered addressing Clarkson's concerns, it isn;t even a change that would really benefit the Hawks. Our only big forward is an ageing Roughy.

Most other teams have better options in the big brute key forward. Unless Clarko kows soemthing about a key fwd coming to hawthorn soon...

I thought it was a pretty well thought out post addressing the point.

Unless the point is a slam Clarkson circle jerk? We haven't had one for a while
I was probably a bit blunt.

Clarko might have valid points but he's undermined his argument by pointing fingers and being pretty petulant.

Way to miss the point.

Hes not offering theories about how the game could be better. He is having a whinge about being beaten at his own game.

You really think he does things for the great good of the game. He does things to get his side an advantage.

It will no doubt be a Hawks free kick fest for the rest of the season.

You cant defend this stupidity because his players do the exact same things and block players on the mark aswell which is highly dubious. Its about time umpires called a 50 for them being in the protected area.

Poor old Hawks hey. Play GFs against interstate sides on their home ground. Who gets away with Blue murder.

Cry me a river Clarko

Seriously - how many Hawthorn fans are completely missing the point of the discussion? Or are intentionally trying to divert it?

This is not about congestion of the game. There are so many other places that is discussed.

This is about Clarko being given so much more leeway than other coaches (IMO) in his complaints about the game and the umpiring, and in John Longmuires opinion (and mine) being given special treatment in having a, what sounds very unusual, private meeting with the CEO of the AFL first thing monday morning.

If you have an argument against Longmuire complaining - make it.
If you think Clarko is fine in the comments he's made, and the way he has made them, and dont see anything unusual in the meeting he had with Gil - then argue those things. (As a number of other Hawthorn fans have)
If you dont think Clarko is treated any differently, or even if you think he is but deserves to be - then argue that.

This is not the thread to be arguing about the congestion in the game.

Oh please. This is just typical Clarko trying to disguise his whinging. yet it's still pretty blatant to all except the most one-eyed Hawk fans who refuse to see it for what it is.

I’m not sure what you have been watching this year, but Hawthorn are no good. They are not even close to a premiership and Clarko knows what a premiership team looks like.

I doubt any of you have actually listened to his comments :rolleyes:

And the only Hawthorn player that could possibly benefit from the comments is Tim O’Brien :drunk:

Maybe, just maybe they have merit. But you all just attack the man

Lol at a bullflog supporters suggesting someone get over the umpiring and focus on their own side The #freekickbulldogs and#freekickhawks memes didn't just appear ut of nowhere
You're using memes as an argument?
neutral supporters agree that 2016 was the worst officiating in a granny in living memory
I don't.

Agree. No problems with that.

Clarko targeting Sydney and more specifically Grundy and Rampe is my issue during the press conference. It's a broader issue and Hawthorn are not sqeauky clean.
I think its in the heat of the moment and easy examples to bring up at the time, also we must look at this in a broader sense as well. The game has become now fix rules with more rules that contradict other rules. Like the block of someones run and standing your ground to protect the space are pretty much the same and yet paid differently every night.

Every team believes they are following the rules but the rules are so broad that they can be interpreted differently by many. Thats the key problem

I’m not sure what you have been watching this year, but Hawthorn are no good. They are not even close to a premiership and Clarko knows what a premiership team looks like.

I doubt any of you have actually listened to his comments :rolleyes:

And the only Hawthorn player that could possibly benefit from the comments is Tim O’Brien :drunk:

Maybe, just maybe they have merit. But you all just attack the man

Did you even read my post before quoting it?

How does that address my comment that a number of Hawthorn fans have completely missed the point of the thread.

Argue Clarko's right to complain in the manner he did. Argue that his meeting with Gill was all above board and business as usual.
Even argue that Longmuire should not have then complained to the media when he was told about this meeting.

There are so many other threads where congestion and the state of the game/umpiring are being discussed.

It’s official, Clarko (the man who invented the cluster) has run out of ideas. He’s now sooking externally to the media to try and raise issues and tactics his team is no longer good enough to stop. Pretty sad stuff.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back