Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a lot of WC supporters in here, absolute hypocrites.

My copy of last year's grand final cuts to your coach and your president in the closing stages and after the game.

I don't blame you for not having watched it again, but I don't really care about bucks, especially on the siren of a game he and his team lost.

My copy of last year's grand final cuts to your coach and your president in the closing stages and after the game.

I don't blame you for not having watched it again, but I don't really care about bucks, especially on the siren of a game he and his team lost.
Tell us all how the Western Australian media behave.

Here are 2 examples that stuck in my head when i lived in Perth.

"Glenndenning wins game for North Melbourne."

"Western Australia wins test."

So the first of them is from 30 years ago? And my critism is from a nationally broadcast game, not a State specific news service

LoungeLizard missing the point. Complaints are about national media.
Not missing the point at all, the media are there to make money and to make as much as they possibly can, of course they will be biased toward where the viewers are, they would be stupid not to.

If you really want to see who is most biased, do your math, get the % of clubs in each state, then % of air time, see which state gives the most to each club.

Herald Sun and Channel 7 News Melbourne can be as bias as they want - That's how local news works

That is not what this thread is about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they're knobs.

I listen to SEN's morning show occasionally and since the GF on the weekend, Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have been doing some soul-searching about how and why they didn't have a good read on WC. They're sitting around scratching their heads and trying to figure out how they got blindsided. The best they could come up with was "they're in WA - we don't watch their games". Isn't that basically an admission of incompetence? Are you a Year 10 kid who tries to do his English exam without reading the book?

If people tipped against WC or didn't think they could win the flag, so be it. You make a prediction and you get it wrong. That's not the end of the world. s**t happens. But look at this rubbish from the Herald-Sun pre-season. It's true that WC fans can sometimes be over-sensitive and see bias where none exists. But surely this kind of parochialism is unnecessary and OTT. Same as when someone like Tony Jones said WC would be a "waste" should they make the GF. It's just unnecessarily biased. Is there not some modicum of balance or clarity required if you're positioning yourself as a semi-credible commentator?

43042964_274113676770892_2302967829256732672_n.png
Whats even funnier is that several of those clubs weren’t even in the position to ‘let it go’.

Have to wonder if there would be as much pressure on Don Pyke and perhaps Ken Hinkley if they were coaching Victorian Clubs.

I honestly think the Melbourne media played a pretty significant role in Alan Richardson's sacking as coach, and arguably Rhyce Shaw getting the full time North job.

Not sure if Interstate aka non Victorian club supporters can relate to this, but the Melbourne/Victorian media has far too much influence on the game and clubs here in Vic.

Annoys me bigtime that hacks like Slobbo and CaroWhine Wilson are big players in the league here. They really shouldn't be.

the victorian hypocrisy and double standards over tim kelly was next level

Funny that, here in Melbourne its West Coast Eagles trying to steal him, low ball. Not from Geelong FC though.

Painting a Vic club as the victim is great for sale of papers/clicks.

Is it different in WA ... nah!

There is a lot of WC supporters in here, absolute hypocrites.

In fairness would you know, not a personal challenge, as a Victorian would you recognise it?
Take the GF decision extending it to 2057, it was waived through, no scrutiny of a sweetheart deal behind closed doors, only the encumbent right holders invited. Clearly it was a great deal for the State of Victoria,but the lack of scrutiny should have any fan of the game questioning why exclude the other parties who had expressed interest.

That is only Hawthorn and only because Clarko refuses to kiss their rings.

Most of the footy media is stationed in VIC and a lot of clubs and their coaches are full media whores. We all know who they are and the AFL media is the biggest mutual appreciation society on the planet. If you play their game the media has your back. It is pathetic and interstate sides should be happy they don't have to play.

In fairness would you know, not a personal challenge, as a Victorian would you recognise it?
Take the GF decision extending it to 2057, it was waived through, no scrutiny of a sweetheart deal behind closed doors, only the encumbent right holders invited. Clearly it was a great deal for the State of Victoria,but the lack of scrutiny should have any fan of the game questioning why exclude the other parties who had expressed interest.
I would have no idea what the AFL has said to other states regarding the GF, if they said anything at all.

Do you?

As for the deal they did, i am against it.

you are right, the WA fan follows WA footballers even when playing interstate & especially pre the national comp. Having lived in both SA & Vic in those days too, SA were like WA, the Vics more like the Yanks, if it isnt in their backyard who cares & it carries through to this day.

A classic example was in another sport cricket - when Merv Hughes was made a national selector the Vic media view was more Victorians would play test cricket, didnt happen.

That is only Hawthorn and only because Clarko refuses to kiss their rings.

Most of the footy media is stationed in VIC and a lot of clubs and their coaches are full media whores. We all know who they are and the AFL media is the biggest mutual appreciation society on the planet. If you play their game the media has your back. It is pathetic and interstate sides should be happy they don't have to play.
So many (10) in one city v 2 anywhere else

Maybe if other states were as engaged in the media and sport and other states also contained over half of the competitions teams and also if other states media weren't ******* s**thouse then yeah maybe you'd find less "vic bias".

I'm ******* sick of hearing about it. Was born in NSW and have lived in every state except tassie and the "bias" is nowhere near as bad as some people whinge about.

There's a similar complaint with music artists not touring WA or SA enough and it's because whenever they book shows there, fu** all people show up or buy tickets.

Here's an idea, grow some balls and watch something other than vic media.
That's some ******* bullshit right there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back