Opinion Should BT/Darcy be barred from commentating the Grand Final after their recent biased commentary?

Should BT's recent biased commentary prevent him from calling the GF?

• Yes

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 1997 Grand Final had all 3 of Dennis, Bruce and Sandy Roberts, with Leigh Matthews on special comments.

Just throw Bennett in with BT and Brayshaw and then select ONE person on special comments.

Get offended by something - don't ignore it, don't pursue an alternative like watching with the volume turned down, don't contact the offending party to explain why you're offended and ask for them to change. Nah, just call for them to be banned.
Cancel culture is cancer
Everyone's just having a laugh. Sounds like you're the one that's offended mate.

Cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to Channel 7's coverage. Darcy just has little to no redeeming qualities and relies on the same old tired, insufferable tropes. BT is better suited to radio where he can get away with his buffoonery and being Rex Hunt Jr, stark contrast to his early Channel 9 days where the humour and moments were balanced better.

The terrible commentary is indicative of how sub standard the media coverage of the game is in this country. So far behind other sports, many of which balance the professonalism, analysis and personalities pretty well.

Darcy was horrendous. That had to be the most biased call I have heard. No chance he gets a grand final gig on Ch.7

I dont mind BT overall - his best is excellant, and he can bring a bit of e-lec-tricity to the broadcast that few others can. But he also has deficiencies / opportunities for improvement.
I still recall Darcy calling the Port Hawthorn 2014 prelim epic and Port was coming hard late on, and Darcy emulates Jobe's "finals like atmosphere" comment with the classic "Port would rather roll the dice and try to win it and risk losing"..... In a Prelim. WTF?
And that was a decade ago, and he's still there.

I still recall Darcy calling the Port Hawthorn 2014 prelim epic and Port was coming hard late on, and Darcy emulates Jobe's "finals like atmosphere" comment with the classic "Port would rather roll the dice and try to win it and risk losing"..... In a Prelim. WTF?

I still cannot get over the call leading into the first bounce on Saturday evening...

'Will it be a Carlton vs Collingwood Grand Final!...
Or will it be the Lions?'

Last edited:
The fact that the Blake acres goal v Melbourne is forever going to have BTs commentary over it is a travesty.
I agree. A commentator is doing more than just calling at the time. Their commentary gets associated with that passage of play for evermore because that's the only way you can relive it - the replays.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - over the years the commentary microphone gets turned up louder and louder relative to the crowd microphone. I don't want to hear your shitty commentary at a great sporting moment. I want to hear the fans cheering. Nowadays the commentary completely overpowers the crowd noise, despite the latter being much louder in real life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mah name is Luke Gump
Paople call may Luke Gump

Darcy was horrendous. That had to be the most biased call I have heard. No chance he gets a grand final gig on Ch.7

I dont mind BT overall - his best is excellant, and he can bring a bit of e-lec-tricity to the broadcast that few others can. But he also has deficiencies / opportunities for improvement.

I was at the Gabba, I’m annoyed to learn Darcy was supporting us, we don’t want that campaigner.

I mean, here's an idea... stop employing people whose sole qualification is kicking a ball around a park to provide analysis with a respect for the English language. Ex-players should be used to provide special comments/insight from their time as a a player, while a trained commentator calls the game.

I mean, here's an idea... stop employing people whose sole qualification is kicking a ball around a park to provide analysis with a respect for the English language. Ex-players should be used to provide special comments/insight from their time as a a player, while a trained commentator calls the game.
Couldn't agree more.

Say what you want about soccer (and I love the sport so some bias) but commentary team consists of
  • only one calling the game who knows the sport, knows the tactics, do their research, knows the players, knows their backgrounds, don't obsess about stats (which are fed through on a constant stream in AFL). They have their biases, but rarely gets in the way of the game being called.
  • one former player with proper media training, sometimes a former player of one of the teams playing which can get annoying
And it works, most of the time really well. But that would require high expectations from the broadcaster and research commitment from the commentators, both of which in short supply in the AFL.

Last edited:
Back