Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

You're the one telling the story.
I'm saying there isn't this injustice you speak of. You insist there is, without proof.

Back to the thread topic. Has anyone recorded precisely how much time each national program spends discussing each club? Until then, you probably don't have a case.

Or do you franchisers need a Victorian to do your research for you?
Home ground advantage in professional sports involving travel IS proven. Worldwide factually-based statistically-based proof.
You've chosen to tell a story that based on a very small sample size in one competition that it doesn't exist. That's not how proof works.

And as for how much time programs spend discussing clubs and topics, that information does exist as that media time is how you sell sponsorships and advertising. Every major business can and should get a daily or weekly media summary detailing print/TV/radio media mentions, identified as either proactive or reactive, and either positive, neutral or negative publicity.
It's also proprietary information so might have to part with a bit of cash to show it for a specific program.
But you get snippets around the place - eg it is how we know (on a different topic) that when the men's cricket team lost the Ashes in 2011, there were 25000 media articles/mentions whereas when the women's team won the Ashes, they only had 2700 articles/mentions.

So save the condescending attitude, remember you aren't premiers anymore.

Home ground advantage in professional sports involving travel IS proven. Worldwide factually-based statistically-based proof.
You've chosen to tell a story that based on a very small sample size in one competition that it doesn't exist. That's not how proof works.

And as for how much time programs spend discussing clubs and topics, that information does exist as that media time is how you sell sponsorships and advertising. Every major business can and should get a daily or weekly media summary detailing print/TV/radio media mentions, identified as either proactive or reactive, and either positive, neutral or negative publicity.
It's also proprietary information so might have to part with a bit of cash to show it for a specific program.
But you get snippets around the place - eg it is how we know (on a different topic) that when the men's cricket team lost the Ashes in 2011, there were 25000 media articles/mentions whereas when the women's team won the Ashes, they only had 2700 articles/mentions.

So save the condescending attitude, remember you aren't premiers anymore.
Way too many big words for grin. He tl/dr’ed it in less than the time it takes a big name player to reject a really large double market value offer from north

The sample size is quite small, which is probably why we didn't hear much whinging from supporters of the traditional Victorian clubs when it was 8:3 in favor of the interstate franchise clubs. Can you imagine the howls of self righteous entitlement if that figure were reversed.
I also note that you don't criticise poor kranky al use of small sample size when he refers to just the last 1/2 dozen premierships. But I guess small sample sizes are OK when they support your claims for ever more on field concessions.
As for home ground advantage, the relative neutrality of the MCG on Grand Final day has been discussed in some detail elsewhere.

Last edited:

I love how the examples you give involve a coupla bucks of tramfare - rather than thousands on flights and accomodation.

We will keep agitating - and luckily for us the media is all over it.

Sydney has formally moved that the afl has best of three gfs.

We will overcome.

If that was to happen you could argue that the bulk of the competition supporter base would turn their back on the game.

The sample size is quite small, which is probably why we didn't hear much whinging from supporters of the traditional Victorian clubs when it was 8:3 in favor of the interstate franchise clubs. Can you imagine the howls of self righteous entitlement if that figure were reversed.
I also note that you don't criticise poor kranky al use of small sample size when he refers to just the last 1/2 dozen premierships. But I guess small sample sizes are OK when they support your claims for ever more on field concessions.
As for home ground advantage, the relative neutrality of the MCG on Grand Final day has been discussed in some detail elsewhere.
It's worth noting that only one Melbourne club plays all 11 home games at the same venue, a luxury most interstate clubs do have.

Carlton - 5 MCG, 6 Etihad
Collingwood - 9 MCG, 2 Etihad
Essendon - 7 Etihad, 4 MCG
Geelong - 9 Kardinia, 2 MCG
Hawthorn - 6 MCG, 4 Lonnie, 1 Etihad
Melbourne - 9 MCG, 1 Alice, 1 Darwin
North Melb - 8 Etihad, 3 Hobart
Richmond - 10 MCG, 1 Etihad
St Kilda - 11 Etihad
W Bulldogs - 9 Etihad, 2 Ballarat

(and sorry no, I don't consider intra-Vic away games as having home ground advantage, all clubs have become quite good at customising MCG/Etihad for home match days).

What? Whinging from Vic clubs about playing a GF at home? Seriously you're taking the piss now?

And whilst Al's sample size is also exceedingly small, it is not representing an outlier to proven statistical fact.

It was discussed in various leagues and various sports around the world - they pretty much all came to the conclusion that hga was too big a thing to ignore and allowed for it by one method or another.

It's worth noting that only one Melbourne club plays all 11 home games at the same venue, a luxury most interstate clubs do have.

St Kilda - 11 Etihad

(and sorry no, I don't consider intra-Vic away games as having home ground advantage, all clubs have become quite good at customising MCG/Etihad for home match days).
Yes im sure collingwood is simply petrified at the thought of meeting carlton in an away match at the g.

At the beginning of the season they mark that one straight away as a probable loss

It was discussed in various leagues and various sports around the world - they pretty much all came to the conclusion that hga was too big a thing to ignore and allowed for it by one method or another.
Introduce any irrelevant stat you like. You keep trying to escape from the fact that, as far as we know, there is no home ground advantage at the MCG in Grand Finals, except possibly for interstate clubs. Come back to me when the evidence suggests otherwise.

Introduce any irrelevant stat you like. You keep trying to escape from the fact that, as far as we know, there is no home ground advantage at the MCG in Grand Finals, except possibly for interstate clubs. Come back to me when the evidence suggests otherwise.

Hilarious - interstate clubs are advantaged by flying to melbourne and playing gfs at the g.

Also by grin

JEt fUeL canT meLt sTEel bEaMs

Yes im sure collingwood is simply petrified at the thought of meeting carlton in an away match at the g.

At the beginning of the season they mark that one straight away as a probable loss

That’s got nothing to do with the ground though. Just that they are a way better side.

Are West Coast petrified of flying to the Gold Coast to play the Suns, or Melbourne to play Carlton.

Some things in football actually don’t come down to where the game is played.

That’s got nothing to do with the ground though. Just that they are a way better side.

Are West Coast petrified of flying to the Gold Coast to play the Suns, or Melbourne to play Carlton.

Some things in football actually don’t come down to where the game is played.

Carlton were within ten points of us at the g this year.

Carlton were within ten points of us at the g this year.
Ok you win. Nonetheless, my point being when the fixture comes out in a few weeks there will be teams West Coast won’t fear playing on the East Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda - 11 Etihad

Oh dear me.

Im not really all that bothered by the Vic media all that much - they underrated us all year, built up the Vic teams for their own commercial benefit. It is a profitable thing for them to have the big vic clubs in finals, if they write the “flag is surely headed west” at the start of September they wouldn’t get a look in.

WA does the same, as does SA.

I do get annoyed at the AFL website, though, for wanting to be the #1 place for news, you get 85-90% of video news content around the vic sides. Reporters will go & report at training, etc, who’s likely to get through. You might get a snippet about the interstate sides but only if they are playing a vic side in a relatively big match or it’s a derby/showdown etc.

They don’t have the same commercial interests as the media do; for mine that’s much more damning.

Hilarious - interstate clubs are advantaged by flying to melbourne and playing gfs at the g.

Also by grin

JEt fUeL canT meLt sTEel bEaMs
I see what Grin is doing here :p
Close username to content correlation
I’m not going to bite though

But back on topic/as I said earlier in the thread - it’s refreshing to see this thread started by a supporter of a Victorian club , and also to see some other reasonable Victorian supporters

Last edited:
I do get annoyed at the AFL website, though, for wanting to be the #1 place for news, you get 85-90% of video news content around the vic sides. Reporters will go & report at training, etc, who’s likely to get through. You might get a snippet about the interstate sides but only if they are playing a vic side in a relatively big match or it’s a derby/showdown etc.

They don’t have the same commercial interests as the media do; for mine that’s much more damning.
Wrong - AFL Media separated from the AFL some six years ago and sits independently from the governing body (despite the name).

https://mumbrella.com.au/how-afl-media-became-australias-biggest-sports-platform-285062

Has anyone mentioned the vic bias about players returning home?
When they go back to vic from an interstate club they’re returning heroes but if a player wants to go home to an interstate club they’re scum and don’t deserve to live etc etc a la Tim Kelly.

When they go back to vic from an interstate club they’re returning heroes but if a player wants to go home to an interstate club they’re scum and don’t deserve to live etc etc a la Tim Kelly.
Contracted Dylan Shiel picks a preferred Victorian club = no outrage at all.
Contracted Tim Kelly picks a preferred WA club = World War III, sky is falling, world is ending etc etc

legend has it that the world has fallen in.. that Hawthorn couldn't spear the holy respected Dylan Shiele ? and he is a good and talented
lad.. but the crap over these drafts has totally upended the world of starting motions of oops that sounds odd.. no that he has chosen
a club that hasn't been prospering on the field and gone for people.. his loss not mine.. he will chop out at realisation that bomber no 1 is a very
hard platform to work on.. no one gets it that these lads will drop a number to get to a so called 'place to go' and then may dwindle in the mire because they become the star attraction and then cause more pressure for the lad .. hmm.

Only if you support the club that the returning player is going back to.

Who has said Tim Kelly is scum ? :rolleyes:

You're the one telling the story.
I'm saying there isn't this injustice you speak of. You insist there is, without proof.

Back to the thread topic. Has anyone recorded precisely how much time each national program spends discussing each club? Until then, you probably don't have a case.

Or do you franchisers need a Victorian to do your research for you?
damn you are a smily fellow.. do you do this to people to up end them or else to drive them over the ... shortcut to redemption..
didn't catch your name but you are hundred to one a snorting too much fellow... felony... no that is american... too much good handling
skills...

drive on dude..

Only if you support the club that the returning player is going back to.

Who has said Tim Kelly is scum ? :rolleyes:

Theres been nasty things written both on here and published in Geelong papers about him and his partner for them wanting to leave due to struggling without family support. There was also a video on Afl.com.au going on about players having too much power in trades which featured Tim Kelly and west coast, but didn’t focus on the other 6 or 7 trades where players have requested to be traded to vic clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back