Steve Turner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bushy, verbal or written, a agreement is a legally binding document. Turner is a A class idiot in this case by agreeing to terms verbally but he'll learn form this. But the more he carries on like a spoilt little brat, the less compassion he is going to get from anyone. Turner should be playing for the Titans for the next 3 yrs, if he doesn't too bad he has to sit out 3 yrs.
LMAO at verbal agreements! Ha! My missus and I had a verbal agreement last night for some 'married cuddles' but she weasled out of it later on. I would have liked her to honour that agreement, but was hardly going to contest the issue in court (maybe I should have).
People make mistakes all the time. Turner was dumb in not thinking the whole thing through. The Titans were just as dumb for not getting his signature on a piece of paper ASAP.
The whole thing is a fiasco.
For what it's worth I reckon Turner should have taken the Titans up on the one-year offer, played at the Gold Coast in 2007 and then gone back to Melbourne if that's what he wanted.
I think the offer has been withdrawn now.

. Turner was dumb in not thinking the whole thing through.

There we have it. People make mistakes every day. Turner needs to learn to live with the mistake and stop carrying on like a cry baby!:thumbsdown:

If a Verbal agreement can be substantiated, it is legally binding. Since Steve Turner expressed his delight at agreeing to Terms with the Titans organisation in public, he's stuffed...

I heard via a source that Searle offered to Turner to play the 1st yr of his contract at the Titans, and then they would release him to the storm.
Turner then said no.

If this is the case then Turner deserves what he gets.

The Titans have invited Chris Walker to train with them with the view to signing a one year deal.

John Cartright has admitted that it's unlikely that Turner will join them so they need to improve their depth in the outside backs.

In the meantime Gold Coast are continuing to fine Turner $1000 for every training session that he misses, and it's now up to 3 sessions.

Link

I heard via a source that Searle offered to Turner to play the 1st yr of his contract at the Titans, and then they would release him to the storm.
Turner then said no.

This is true. It appears he will be spending 3 years on the sidelines. Terrible waste of talent.

Chris Walker reminds me of Damien Cupido. All the talent in the world (enough that others would kill to have), yet has no commitment and a very poor work-ethic. If he got it right he would be unstoppable. He is just an idiot.

This is true. It appears he will be spending 3 years on the sidelines. Terrible waste of talent.

If that's how it turns out it would be a terrible thing for Searle to have on his conscience.

This is about more than who is right or wrong in a legal sense.

The Titans have made a very strong point and I don't blame them for that.

Lets not end the career of a 22 year old kid who has committed the heinous crime of changing his mind and wanting to stay in Melbourne with his girlfriend.

I just can't believe the ruthlessness of it all. If this was the AFL the club would have no trouble releasing the player but then again an AFL club would realise that there's no point hanging on to a player who doesn't want to be at that club.

He was mad not to accept the offer from the Titans of them allowing him to play for them for 1 season and then return to Melbourne. I haven't been following the situation all that closely, but if he wants to stay in Melbourne because of compassionate reasons, why did he sign with the Titans then? It seems the NRL are backing the Titans and they were always going to dig their heels in and force Turner to play with them for 3 years or sit it out for 3 years. He should of accepted their knock down offer of 1 year. I know i'd like to see him stay at the Storm, but what are his odds of the Titans completely backing down and letting him stay in Melbourne? I dont see the situation getting any better for him. Call me a pessimist. :(

If that's how it turns out it would be a terrible thing for Searle to have on his conscience.

This is about more than who is right or wrong in a legal sense.

The Titans have made a very strong point and I don't blame them for that.

Lets not end the career of a 22 year old kid who has committed the heinous crime of changing his mind and wanting to stay in Melbourne with his girlfriend.

I just can't believe the ruthlessness of it all. If this was the AFL the club would have no trouble releasing the player but then again an AFL club would realise that there's no point hanging on to a player who doesn't want to be at that club.
He just had to play the year at the Coast and then he could do what he wished. This was to allow the Titans time to find a suitable replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Turner then said no.

Dead agreed. I hope Turner learns his lesson from this as well. He should have taken the 1 year deal.

But:

A) The Titans are a brand new club that can't afford to have a reputation as pushovers.
B) This isn't the AFL and the way the player market is structured in both comps is completely different. This situation can't actually happen!

A) The Titans are a brand new club that can't afford to have a reputation as pushovers.

But they are developing a reputation for incompetence. What happened to submitting a contract within 10 days? What happened to getting his signature, something which would have prevented this whole mess from happening?

Surely this has gone on too long now for the GC to actually expect Turner to play for them (notice I didn't say play 'with' them). I admire the fact that Turner and the Storm have stuck to their guns here and despite having the GC and the NRL against them, will probably end up getting their man.

Good stuff, I am sick of the special treatment being given to the Titans here, something that the Storm have NEVER got from the NRL.

And this whole saga has shown why the NRL will never rival AFL in this country if it continues to be run by these drones, propping up incompetent franchises like the Titans.

Surely this has gone on too long now for the GC to actually expect Turner to play for them (notice I didn't say play 'with' them). I admire the fact that Turner and the Storm have stuck to their guns here and despite having the GC and the NRL against them, will probably end up getting their man.

Good stuff, I am sick of the special treatment being given to the Titans here, something that the Storm have NEVER got from the NRL.

And this whole saga has shown why the NRL will never rival AFL in this country if it continues to be run by these drones, propping up incompetent franchises like the Titans.
Hahahah. Gold! :thumbsu:

Turner certainly stuck to his guns - apart from the whole wanting to play for the Titans part.

Are you generally a little slow?

I heard a little rumour floating about the place. I understand that the Titans have taken legal advice that essentially states that the Titans can keep Turner to the 3 year contract and it won't appear on their salary cap as long as he is in breach of his contract by refusing to play for the Titans. In other words, The Titans won't be paying a cent nor losing salary cap space for as long as Turner refuses to play.

I heard a little rumour floating about the place. I understand that the Titans have taken legal advice that essentially states that the Titans can keep Turner to the 3 year contract and it won't appear on their salary cap as long as he is in breach of his contract by refusing to play for the Titans. In other words, The Titans won't be paying a cent nor losing salary cap space for as long as Turner refuses to play.
not likely, signed to them as a player, he is on the payroll

Hahahah. Gold! :thumbsu:

Turner certainly stuck to his guns - apart from the whole wanting to play for the Titans part.

Are you generally a little slow?
Like a fly to sh*t, aren't you? You're accusing me of being a little slow even though you damn well know that the 'sticking to his guns' bit was obviously in reference to him not giving up and going to play for the Titans against his wishes, and the Storm supporting him all the way.

Idiot.

And that rumour POBT, is more incompetent rubbish devised by disgruntled Titans fans. They either pay him, or the Storm does (and he then plays with them).

not likely, signed to them as a player, he is on the payroll
But he's not drawing a wage if he's in breach of his contractual obligations. No money out - therefore no salary cap implications. I'm not saying the rumour is correct but it makes sense.

Year of the roo - you have proven over and over again that you have very little idea about this situation except some poorly conceived notion of a conspiracy by an entity that is half owned by your club's owner. I'd actually listen to you if you'd show a modicum of common sense but your bias clouds your ability to see reason.

I don't give a flying ******** where he plays. I don't rate him so highly as a player that he is worth the column space, bandwidth, time and energy he and the clubs have wasted. I am interested because it is an interesting situation for me professionally and because I like rugby league. I like the Storm and I will probably like the Titans. The only thing I object to in this whole debate is people trying to paint Turner as some moralistic and honourable victim - that is the real joke, as far as I'm concerned.

But they are developing a reputation for incompetence. What happened to submitting a contract within 10 days? What happened to getting his signature, something which would have prevented this whole mess from happening?

How so?

They don't need his signature to have a legal contract...

...hardly incompotent. Wayne Bennett has never put pen to a piece of paper for the Broncos organisation and would you consider them incompotent?

How so?

They don't need his signature to have a legal contract...

...hardly incompotent. Wayne Bennett has never put pen to a piece of paper for the Broncos organisation and would you consider them incompotent?

But a signature would have prevented this whole saga from happening, do you not agree? Fairly careless from the Titans, don't you think?

Had they got Steve to sign something then it wouldn't even be an issue. Regardless of what is a binding contract and what isn't, had the Titans management been responsible they'd have done it and he'd be at the GC right now for pre-season training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back