Women's Footy AFLW Dockers vs The Dirty Birds

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's time to bring back KJ and Sharp, they might be trying to teach them a lesson by not playing them but their experience would have been helpful today

I think it's time to bring back KJ and Sharp, they might be trying to teach them a lesson by not playing them but their experience would have been helpful today
Those are conditions that would’ve suited KJ to a tee. She’s next in I’d say, having been an emergency these past two weeks. I think Sharp is still a little way off.
Sergeant has had no impact at all last week or this week - I’d be swapping her out for KJ.

Also I thought Emma O’Driscoll was good today, especially in the second half. Developing nicely.

Last edited:
Those are conditions that would’ve suited KJ to a tee. She’s next in I’d say, having been an emergency these past two weeks. I think Sharp is still a little way off.
Sergeant has had no impact at all last week or this week - I’d be swapping her out for KJ.

Also I thought Emma O’Driscoll was good today, especially in the second half. Developing nicely.
Yeah sadly can't recall anything Tildi has done at all this season :/
Also the gap between Stewarts best and worst has to close, she went missing today and she needs to be better.
Agree on Emma, her positioning was elite just wish she stuck a few more marks.
Roxy was brilliant today too, totally gave it her all

Did anyone hear the commentators have a crack at the Antonio's over it?
I didn't no, have to go back and watch again but that pisses me off she's allowed to fly the flag for freo when they're constantly at them
Surprised at how much i dislike the eagles girls team hey, they're all mouth and acting

I didn't no, have to go back and watch again but that pisses me off she's allowed to fly the flag for freo when they're constantly at them
Surprised at how much i dislike the eagles girls team hey, they're all mouth and acting

Maybe "crack" isn't the right term. But there was definitely a comment about the Antonio's getting stuck into the Eagles, and basically nothing said about any of what they were dishing out.

Pretty close scoreline in the end given Freo never looked like losing.

35 I50s to 14. Far more scoring shots than them. 2.11 to 2.2 could have been ******* nasty if we had some more luck or kicked straighter.

And most of West Coast's team were living inside their defensive 50 for the game, which made it tough for us to score but made it even more difficult for them to counter-attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange game. Close and not close at the same moment. Pretty surprised it is only 18vs23 marks. They looked like marking everything early. While we dropped everything. Probably could have expected that conditions don't suit us. But a win at the end.

Well, not a pretty game in abhorrent conditions. Lots of chest marks dropped and sidways kicks, which is totally to be expected. They fought tough, lots of pressure, and were able to lock the ball in our forward 50. The wet definitely does NOT suit our strengths, so I'm just glad for the 4 points. My buddy looked a bit lost at time in that new HF role, but it's only her second game. I also really like Roxy in the ruck where she takes a running start to gain some momentum and higher jump. Strom is more of a "box out your opponent" type player with her bigger body. Both seemed to do fairly well today.

Bowers imo was the clear stand out under very difficult conditions.

Also, our boys should listen to the woman sing the song after a win. They really give it their all...sometimes I think the men need to inject a bit more passion!

On to round three!!

Hopefully, we know before next Friday who we play... lol

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that they had the scores around the wrong way at half time?

Was this a Channel 7 game by any chance?

Anyway, just reading the Perth Now's report on the game and here is the synopsis.

The Eagles were decimated by injury and took it up to the highly fancied Fremantle Dockers.

Can't help but feel like we got shafted on the Mongrel Punt reviewer this week:

FREMANTLE 2. 11. (23) DEFEATED WEST COAST 2. 2. (14)
REVIEWER – BRETT HODGSON

Here we are to finish off Round Two in AFLW with a Western Derby. Despite a virus outbreak, bushfires and rain this game goes ahead (quick shout out to anybody affected by the fires, thoughts are with you)
We have one of the flag fancies in Fremantle vs the Eagles, who many tipped to struggle in 2021. A true David and Goliath battle. To make matters worse, West Coast has lost star midfielder Dana Hooker for not just this contest but the season due to a freak kitchen injury. Hooker is relied upon more then anybody in WA not named Mark McGowan so let’s see what happens in this contest
Will Fremantle show the fire-power befitting a contender?
Will somebody step up in the absence of Hooker?
Let’s find out…

In wet, slippery conditions it was Fremantle prevailing by nine points 2.11 (23) to 2.2 (14) but the reality is this game could have gone either way. The Dockers obviously were highly inaccurate and threatened to blow the game open, despite their lack of run and carry game.
For the Eagles the injury bug bit them once again as they lost Andrea Gilmore and Niamh Kelly to game-ending injuries in the third quarter, as well as an injury to Parris Laurie during the third. She returned but was severely hampered with what appeared to be a calf complaint. Ultimately in the pivotal third quarter the Dockers overwhelmed West Coast and were able to establish a lead they would not relinquish.
Early on it was West Coast that seemingly adapted better to the conditions, playing territory football looking to gain metres with their disposal and turn it to a contested game trying to limit the run and carry of the Dockers. After quarter time the Dockers started to tire out the Eagles defense and ultimately that led to the scoreboard ticking over and Fremantle doing enough to take the derby

BOWERS BRILLIANCE
Kiara Bowers was an absolute thorn in the Eagles side all day. The BOG had game-highs of 23 disposals (20 kicks) to go along with 14 tackles, seven clearances and a goal. Opposed to Aisling McCarthy early (who started well and kicked the opener for the Eagles) Bowers then tightened the screws after quarter time with her clearance work a major factor. Ultimately McCarthy tried hard all day but was unable to contain Bowers and the midfield battle swung the Dockers way and she was the catalyst to her side taking over. Her defensive efforts were outstanding- which ill mention shortly.
NO HOOKER – NO PROBLEM
Pretty much everybody wondered who would step up to counter the loss of Dana Hooker. Well Mikayla Bowen and Emma Swanson, take a bow. Despite not coming away with the four points the duo were absolutely outstanding in covering for the missing star. They combined for 34 disposals and arguably could have had more of an impact if not for being clamped by Bowers or the hard tackling Dockers. Bowen in particular led the way with 10 contested possessions in a performance that should make the AFLW stand up and take notice

PARRIS LAURIE
Tactically, she played a solid game for the Eagles in the ruck. Despite losing the hitouts by one to Mim Strom she had a very simple game plan: “Take front spot at any cost” and that worked well as Strom was ineffective when she was able to lay first hands on the ball and Laurie was also able to negate the backups.
She became concerned with the opponents leaps at times and gave away a few blocking free kicks in really bad position. Her efforts at ground level were great though, despite being unable to gain more then a handful of possessions she threw her body around and made the Fremantle midfield have to go through her. She returned from what everybody first thought was a devastating knee injury to finish out the game albeit severely hampered

THE ANTONIO FACTOR
When the game was in the balance in the third quarter the Dockers leant on the experience of Kara and Ebony Antonio. Through most of the quarter Freo were absolutely peppering their forward line with inside 50 entries time and time again (35-16 for the game)
Their pinpoint disposal, calmness under pressure and, maybe the most important part was the marshalling of the Dockers defensive zone that the Eagles struggled to break. 18 combined touches, 5 marks and a goal between them, though their impact was more then raw numbers.

BRIGHT SPOTS WCE
Chantella Perera was outstanding in the Eagles backline, her positioning and decision making was a feature. Her experience was really telling in this one and she knew when she had to attack the ball and contest or retreat and defend.
Imahra Cameron kept presenting and trying to make something happen from limited opportunities. It looked like she thrived out in space and has a really high football IQ, also she wasn’t afraid to throw her body into the contest and apply defensive pressure. Watch out for her once she develops a bit more fitness, she will be special

BRIGHT SPOTS FREO
I loved the games of Hayley Miller and Stephanie Cain. They got under the radar a little but always appeared to be in the right place at the right time. You combined their tackling work ( six apiece) with 15 and 12 touches respectively at good efficiency in the wet they were unsung heroes of this game and kept the Eagles accountable, punishing them when they were not.

DUFFY/HOUGHTON
Let’s be honest, Gemma Houghton tried all day and kept on the move but it was always going to be a struggle. She moved well and presented hard but never had a lot of marking contests she would have liked. Perera and Bresland made sure she couldn’t get goal side of them and kept her out wide as much as they could. She snapped a great goal to get Fremantle’s first midway through the second quarter and finished with a game-high four marks yet were out wide in less dangerous spots.
After the massive game last week Duffy tried everything she could to emulate that, yet however it just was not her day. She looked like she was trying to get under the skin of her opponents though that appeared largely ineffective, the conditions probably played a part as she was afforded less space then she was used to.
A lot of people (including myself) were expecting her to dominate an under siege Eagles backline, well we were correct on the backline having a hard day. She would likely be kicking herself as she was largely a non-factor. Her opponent for much of the afternoon was, however, who I will get to

RUN AND CARRY
Belinda Smith was excellent for the Eagles with her run and carry from Half Back. She made the Dockers pay for a lack of awareness by taking the game on when clearing defensive 50 with bombs simply would not work. It seemed like everybody was looking around figuring out how she was able to run off yet nobody seemed to take responsibility for her. It’s those kinds of selfless things that can be the difference in the business end of the season.

DESPERATE TIMES – DESPERATE MEASURES
The Eagles defence halted the momentum of Fremantle with saving two goals on the line. First off a touched ball for a shot on goal then arguably the moment of the game where a lunging chase and a diving rushed behind by Tayla Bresnan stopped a full flight Houghton from collecting a loose ball mere meters out, to keep them within striking distance.
At times it appeared the Blue and Gold were simply showing more desire then their rivals. A piece of play late in the third quarter exemplified that. The Eagles cleared the ball from deep inside their defensive 50, the kick found Cameron in space who bombed to the forward flank, Kellie Gibson made up 30m of space to fight for the loose ball and bomb it further forward, a desperate smother from Bresland led to a free-kick and a pass inside 50 to the hard running Bowen for a shot on goal.
It did not lead to a goal unfortunately but that piece of play should be something that shows the fans of the Eagles and AFLW that their team may not struggle so much for long.

PARTING NOTES
Swanson was very solid today, she led by example and while not maybe having as much an impact as she would have liked she played like a true leader.
I found the game of Bullas really good, hopefully she gets more minutes in the Eagles midfield, she is very handy in the coal face
Tiah Haynes looks a lot fitter then before and I believe she can be an integral albeit it under the radar part of a Dockers premiership tilt

Can't help but feel like we got shafted on the Mongrel Punt reviewer this week:

To be fair to TMP - unless you were a die hard Freo fan that would have been hard viewing. The commentating was rubbish, the picture was obscured and the game was a mess. I'd even struggle to write that many words on the game.

We've invested in a dry weather game, based on the season being held during late summer/ early autumn. I think we bank the points, gloat a bit at our neighbours, be thankful we came out unscathed and try not to read too much in to the game.

I'm hoping for Brisbane or Adelaide away this Sunday - a tough game where we can put a marker down whilst we're still relatively at full strength. Then hopefully a Collingwood/Bulldogs/Saints in Vic game (once the border restrictions hopefully lift the week after). We gain nothing from running over the bottom teams. North are the only team that I would genuinely be nervous about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back