Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to Stocker he is a young guy who hasn’t had the benefit of some strong leadership and the club as a whole has been bereft of this for a long period. Cripps says similar things about Murph, but realistically they don’t have a lot to compare to. He was captain when Cripps came in and outside of Doc (and himself) is the only skipper he’s worked under. There’s no other point of reference.

On BnF night there is only going to be positive sentiment towards outgoing senior players - especially a former captain and 300 game player. Don’t take Stocker’s complimentary view of Murphy as a true representation of his leadership. Players also have their biases and older guys will choose who they invest in - maybe Stocker is just one of the few Murphy has made an effort with.

The players non-reaction to Murphy following his 300th game was far more telling IMO.

I suspect the players are going to be shocked when they see the kind of leadership Voss, Hamill, and co bring to the table.

You're so far off the mark with your comments that it isn't even funny. Stocker was not asked to make any comment on Murphy at all. He was asked whether he had a mentor at the club who helped him through the tough times that he'd experienced. He had no hesitation in naming Murphy as the person who had taken him under his wing and helped him, not only in a football sense but also outside of football.

I have no doubt that what he said was a 100% true representation, if it wasn't, there was no need to even mention Murphy.

Over the years, there have been a lot of our young players who have said similar things about Murphy without being prompted to or being asked directly about Murphy.

To me the right structure is Cripps captain. Get his head right that he needs to do the hard things and forget the flashy things, and he’ll get back to his best. Cripps is an inspirational, vocal, alpha leader type.

Doc would be a superb VC to me. The perfect 2IC, who brings the calm, sensible-haircut “ok here’s what to do” follow up to something rousing and revving from Cripps. He’s like the military second in command who does the orders after the boss has delivered the spray.

Cripps heart, aggro, excitement… in the thick of it. Doc cool, professional, consistent…. Stepped back and observing.

How I always thought it should be.
Cripps is not a leader. He is the lead lad. Big difference. That is not what you are looking for. Wietering should take take the mantle. Also think Cripps without captaincy is a far better footballing outcome than with captaincy. Will have a stronger midfield around him and won't feel the captains need to try and take on the world. That right there is an issue re his leadership. Good leaders delegate and implant trust in those around them to execute to the plan. This season we had neither.

You're so far off the mark with your comments that it isn't even funny. Stocker was not asked to make any comment on Murphy at all. He was asked whether he had a mentor at the club who helped him through the tough times that he'd experienced. He had no hesitation in naming Murphy as the person who had taken him under his wing and helped him, not only in a football sense but also outside of football.

I have no doubt that what he said was a 100% true representation, if it wasn't, there was no need to even mention Murphy.

Over the years, there have been a lot of our young players who have said similar things about Murphy without being prompted to or being asked directly about Murphy.

Amazing with all these young players he’s taken under his wing he’d be universally ignored by the team in his final send off.

I’d be hard pressed to find many examples of players speaking in glowing terms about him, because it just doesn’t happen.

Amazing with all these young players he’s taken under his wing he’d be universally ignored by the team in his final send off.

I’d be hard pressed to find many examples of players speaking in glowing terms about him, because it just doesn’t happen.

You're absolutely wrong, I've heard it many times before tonight. Radio interviews etc. The question has always been something like who has had the greatest influence on your career.

Did you expect a joyous celebration after a 95 point drubbing? I'd imagine the boys weren't feeling too good about how they'd sent him off in light of their performance.

You're absolutely wrong, I've heard it many times before tonight. Radio interviews etc. The question has always been something like who has had the greatest influence on your career.

Did you expect a joyous celebration after a 95 point drubbing? I'd imagine the boys weren't feeling too good about how they'd sent him off in light of their performance.

Yet zero examples of this.

I’d certainly expect some general adulation for the bloke - that’d occur in any other reasonable situation - but there was none forthcoming.

Complete contrast to the way we sent Simmo off the previous year, and that also took place after a disappointing loss.

Yet zero examples of this.

I’d certainly expect some general adulation for the bloke - that’d occur in any other reasonable situation - but there was none forthcoming.

Complete contrast to the way we sent Simmo off the previous year, and that also took place after a disappointing loss.

You had one perfect example tonight and I'm not going to look for radio interviews from past years, you just have a predetermined bias and you clearly know better than his own teammates do, seriously....

You had one perfect example tonight and I'm not going to look for radio interviews from past years, you just have a predetermined bias and you clearly know better than his own teammates do, seriously....

1 player liking Murphy doesn’t signal the general sentiment of the squad.

Players are also selective, and footy clubs function in much the same manner as any other workplace. You need to get along with everyone, but you don’t need to like or respect everyone.

There are plenty of 20+ year veterans at my company I couldn’t give two shits about.

1 player liking Murphy doesn’t signal the general sentiment of the squad.

Players are also selective, and footy clubs function in much the same manner as any other workplace. You need to get along with everyone, but you don’t need to like or respect everyone.

There are plenty of 20+ year veterans at my company I couldn’t give two shits about.

Do you think any of those 20+ year vets would take a year of sick leave just to get themselves to 30 years at the expense of a younger employee getting a permanent contract? 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not at all correct. He is a pure inside midfielder, his problem is versatility. It's inside midfielder or nothing for him.
Herein lies the problem with our list
As long as we persist with these player types Carlton will just be an ordinary football side. There shouldn’t be any room for mediocrity or players who are not versatile. The game has gone beyond that now

You don’t have to say anymore.

Both players will be at the club in 2022.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still the fact that he is currrently a delisted player does not look good for him. It’s merely a token gesture by the club and also the beginning of the end for his career. Geez they probably shopped him around a last fortnight and had no takers. Hopefully it’s the kick up the arse that he requires

Last edited:
Thats not at all correct. He is a pure inside midfielder, his problem is versatility. It's inside midfielder or nothing for him.
To each their own of course but I don't see it that way - I'd consider his work around the contest to be his weakness atm.
He tends to fumble a ground ball & his attack on it is too inconsistent for someone who is expected to play solely on the inside.

I see him as Bont-lite, an outside leaning capable of using his smarts to get around the ground and create a mismatch.

Young players have consistently named him as their mentor. Cripps, Stocker, Dow, Walsh & Fisher have all done so - heck, some supporters even attributed Dows struggles to Murphys influence.

FWIW I'm yet to see a side at any level celebrate after a 90+ point touch up.
What are the odds too, that if he were celebrated, that the same people would take issue with them not taking the loss seriously enough? (Refer: Plowman smiling after a loss bring considered bordering on treasonous)

You're clearly trying to shoehorn your perspective to suit - inclusive of pretending that you know better than those players mentioned

Thought it might be worth getting a view on Muprh’s leadership from someone who would actually have some idea. I don’t know about anyone else but these sorts of opinions mean far more to me than any agenda some posters on here may have

Maybe a good off field leader
Watched him enough to know he wasn't a good on field leader, lacked the hard edge that the great leaders possess.

Maybe a good off field leader
Watched him enough to know he wasn't a good on field leader, lacked the hard edge that the great leaders possess.
Footy is riddled with these types. They fluke it to 300 games, get made captain by succesive coaches. Whats the world coming to eh?

Young players have consistently named him as their mentor. Cripps, Stocker, Dow, Walsh & Fisher have all done so - heck, some supporters even attributed Dows struggles to Murphys influence.

FWIW I'm yet to see a side at any level celebrate after a 90+ point touch up.
What are the odds too, that if he were celebrated, that the same people would take issue with them not taking the loss seriously enough? (Refer: Plowman smiling after a loss bring considered bordering on treasonous)

You're clearly trying to shoehorn your perspective to suit - inclusive of pretending that you know better than those players mentioned

Show me some proof these guys have commented on Murphy’s exceptional leadership? Second time asking.

Who said anything about celebrating after after a loss? I said the players completely ignored our outgoing 300 game veteran in his final game. This didn’t occur with Simmo the previous year, in very similar circumstances.

I think there is as much shoehorning coming across from the other side.

Some players just aren’t strong leaders, and unfortunately Murphy sits in that boat, despite copping the captaincy and being one few veterans on our list.

Really interested to see where Saad finished in the BnF.

I didn’t rate his season more than 6/10. For me he basically did the minimum that was expected….he didnt seem to take the game on as much as I hoped and often his kicking was just banging the ball on to his boot after running sideways rather than gaining as much ground as he could beforehand.
Well he finished 6th out of the top 10, so you were right about one thing :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back