Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Show me some proof these guys have commented on Murphy’s exceptional leadership? Second time asking.

Who said anything about celebrating after after a loss? I said the players completely ignored our outgoing 300 game veteran in his final game. This didn’t occur with Simmo the previous year, in very similar circumstances.

I think there is as much shoehorning coming across from the other side.

Some players just aren’t strong leaders, and unfortunately Murphy sits in that boat, despite copping the captaincy and being one few veterans on our list.
Cripps:https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/275326/murphy-looking-forward
Patrick Cripps sung his praise for Murphy, who led the team for six seasons from 2013 until 2018. He said Murphy would be the perfect sounding board for the two new joint-skippers. “We’re going to lean on him a lot for advice. Doc and I are pretty young co-captains and it’s an exciting time for both of us," Cripps said. “Like any footy club there’s going to be challenges throughout the year and Murph has been through the hardest time at Carlton. If something does go wrong, he’s going to be a good guy to get advice off.”

Cripps and Walsh: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/9...ppreciated-murphys-impact-on-cripps-and-walsh

Stocker:

Dow: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/133858/dow-not-shy-of-big-stage
The 18-year-old, who claimed the league’s Round 14’s Rising Star nomination, says learning from midfield bull Patrick Cripps and skipper Marc Murphy has definitely had a positive impact on his game..... “Likewise, Murph has been awesome, even though he hasn’t been playing he’s been reviewing my game with me, so it’s been great.”

Fisher is the only one I cant find a direct quote on the first page of google

Patrick Cripps sung his praise for Murphy, who led the team for six seasons from 2013 until 2018. He said Murphy would be the perfect sounding board for the two new joint-skippers. “We’re going to lean on him a lot for advice. Doc and I are pretty young co-captains and it’s an exciting time for both of us," Cripps said. “Like any footy club there’s going to be challenges throughout the year and Murph has been through the hardest time at Carlton. If something does go wrong, he’s going to be a good guy to get advice off.”

Cripps and Walsh: https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/9...ppreciated-murphys-impact-on-cripps-and-walsh

Stocker:

The 18-year-old, who claimed the league’s Round 14’s Rising Star nomination, says learning from midfield bull Patrick Cripps and skipper Marc Murphy has definitely had a positive impact on his game..... “Likewise, Murph has been awesome, even though he hasn’t been playing he’s been reviewing my game with me, so it’s been great.”

well done.

But you shouldn't have to do that to satisfy one recalcitrant

well done.

But you shouldn't have to do that to satisfy one recalcitrant
Perhaps, but I'd rather address the concerns with facts that support the position - a lot of people read these threads, and if you just allow these "proposals/hypothesis" to go unchecked, they can have a way of becoming fact.

Footy is riddled with these types. They fluke it to 300 games, get made captain by succesive coaches. Whats the world coming to eh?
Where did I say he fluked 300 games, he was a great player that was marred by his last couple of seasons
No chance in Hades was he captain material, the appointment was obviously for marketing purposes.

Stocker:

Kudos for doing some research, but those are some pretty generic pats on the back which don’t say a whole heap about Murphy’s specific leadership qualities. It is also expected of senior players to sit in on younger player reviews

More, he was at the club, he was someone they looked up to and appreciated because he was a veteran who had been there a while and he was also a star player who they wanted to emulate.

I have said it before, but these guys don’t have any point of comparison. Players like Murphy naturally ascend to being called leaders because they are older, have held formal leadership positions before and there is an expectation from the coaching group they will assist with the development of younger midfielders.

Is that leadership or is that a product of the specific KPI’s and internal logic of the club and playing community?

Really interested to see where Saad finished in the BnF.

I didn’t rate his season more than 6/10. For me he basically did the minimum that was expected….he didnt seem to take the game on as much as I hoped and often his kicking was just banging the ball on to his boot after running sideways rather than gaining as much ground as he could beforehand.

You know Saad is the bald one with the beard, yeah?

People seem to have some unreasonably high expectations of players. Saad was one of very few players that absolutely nailed my expectations this season, broke the lines, delivered the ball well when he had time (and sometimes when he didn't), defended well and worked hard to get into position to defend. Wasn't a perfect season, he overcommitted sometimes, he turned it over sometimes, but pay close enough attention to any player and you'll see them doing the same.

Last edited:
Where did I say he fluked 300 games, he was a great player that was marred by his last couple of seasons
No chance in Hades was he captain material, the appointment was obviously for marketing purposes.
Not having a go at you mate. Just happened to quote your post..could have been any post.
Very bemused at the latent anti murph sentiment that lingers in these pages.
And of course its all mud slinging nonsense because we have been crap while he was skipper. Funny how they never said the same about Robbie Flower though for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People seem to have some unreasonably high expectations of players. Saad was one of very few players that absolutely nailed my expectations this season, broke the lines, delivered the ball well when he had time (and sometimes when he didn't), defended well and worked hard to get into position to defend. Wasn't a perfect season, he overcommitted sometimes, he turned it over sometimes, but pay close enough attention to any player and you'll see them doing the same.

He also played the last quarter of the season on one leg, but yeah he was pretty terrible.

Disgusting actually. How dare he run, carry, and deliver the footy whilst under pressure and without much support from the midfield playing an offensively-based game plan which generally puts the defenders on the back foot on the rebound.

How dare he.

The supporters that were willing to sell the farm were the most disappointed by his output.
I thought we over payed at the time but gee, did we get a bargain.
He is a really good solid consistent player, he carried a knee for the most part which makes his output even more astounding.

You're so far off the mark with your comments that it isn't even funny. Stocker was not asked to make any comment on Murphy at all. He was asked whether he had a mentor at the club who helped him through the tough times that he'd experienced. He had no hesitation in naming Murphy as the person who had taken him under his wing and helped him, not only in a football sense but also outside of football.

I have no doubt that what he said was a 100% true representation, if it wasn't, there was no need to even mention Murphy.

Over the years, there have been a lot of our young players who have said similar things about Murphy without being prompted to or being asked directly about Murphy.
you're suggesting the players might know more about this stuff than a know-all, arrogant wannabe on a footy forum? not sure if serious......

you're suggesting the players might know more about this stuff than a know-all, arrogant wannabe on a footy forum? not sure if serious......
You can make your point without this.

Same goes for everyone potting posters, players, the club etc. Enough with the side sniping.

Reminds me of Sam Pangs joke when he first met Jonathan Brown:

Sam: "It's great to meet such a legend - 3 premierships and 13 seasons of AFL"

Brown: "I actually played 15 seasons Sam ?"

Sam: "Sorry Brownie - I didn't think we were counting those last two seasons"

Don’t take Stocker’s complimentary view of Murphy as a true representation of his leadership.
I'll take it all the same, thank you very much.
Stocker has earned my trust big time.
He seems a guy that is genuine and authentic in his words and deeds.

Kudos for doing some research, but those are some pretty generic pats on the back which don’t say a whole heap about Murphy’s specific leadership qualities. It is also expected of senior players to sit in on younger player reviews

More, he was at the club, he was someone they looked up to and appreciated because he was a veteran who had been there a while and he was also a star player who they wanted to emulate.

I have said it before, but these guys don’t have any point of comparison. Players like Murphy naturally ascend to being called leaders because they are older, have held formal leadership positions before and there is an expectation from the coaching group they will assist with the development of younger midfielders.

Is that leadership or is that a product of the specific KPI’s and internal logic of the club and playing community?
And the back pedal begins....

Show me some proof these guys have commented on Murphy’s exceptional leadership? Second time asking.

Who said anything about celebrating after after a loss? I said the players completely ignored our outgoing 300 game veteran in his final game. This didn’t occur with Simmo the previous year, in very similar circumstances.

I think there is as much shoehorning coming across from the other side.

Some players just aren’t strong leaders, and unfortunately Murphy sits in that boat, despite copping the captaincy and being one few veterans on our list.
And where is your evidence? Fine that you have an opinion but can you back it up with anything concrete. The shoehorning tag could also apply to what you are putting forward

I'm not sure what standard people are holding Murphy to. Do we expect him to be Gary Ablett Jr with the leadership of Luke Hodge and the reckless physicality of Joel Selwood?

I've never thought of the bloke as soft, even if later in his career he was physically pushed around more than we'd have liked. His physicality isn't what it was because he was recklessly brave a couple of times and got absolute whollopped for doing it. I'd wager that no one on this forum would run at a charging Patrick Dangerfield. That's just suicidal, say what you will about Danger but no one can argue he's a physical freak of a man, 90kgs - at least - and won the Grand Final sprint 3 times. The term "bull" gets used way too often, but if there's one bloke who it fits it's him - or at least it did in his prime.

Murphy put his body on the line to win the ball against that man and unsurprisingly came away with a shattered shoulder. He did the same thing later on and broke his jaw.

If you want to call him weak, that's fine, but just have some bloody perspective. His body physically couldn't do it anymore, because he did it so often before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back