Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Some early losses and Hirdy will be under more pressure than a gypsy with a mortgage. Don't do it dons.
Yep we start poorly with Hird and the media vultures will come out quick and question why we got Hird back it will be non stop headlines and specualtion.

Don't do it Essendon for the love of god appoint Yze.

From what Barret said GWS were torn on who to pick out of Yze and Kingsley was a line ball descion. Yze could be the next McCrae

Yep - Voss learned from his mistake. Voss, Buckley, and Hird all got gifted Head coaching roles, and all failed. It would have been hard to turn down the roles at the time, but in hindsight all three appointments were mistakes

Voss is thew only one who has learned from this and put in the time to do it right. Buckley has realised that he is not a coach, but Hird still thinks he was wronged. I hope Voss succeeds and others see the path he followed. And I hope Hird and Essendon get what they deserve.
You're being a bit harsh on Buckley there.

You're being a bit harsh on Buckley there.
He inherited a premiership team and they went backward almost every year that he was coaching them. He got the sack and the next year they are likely to play in a Grand Final.

I was extremely generous to Buckly - he was absolutely incompetent as a coach, and if he wasn't part of the AFL Elite Media boys club there would be hundreds of articles about how Collingwood sacked a coach right after he won a premiership and wasted a decade because the president of the club had an abnormal infatuation with an ex-player.

He inherited a premiership team and they went backward almost every year that he was coaching them.
Collingwood were never going to be a legacy team. Not with that gameplan and not with Malthouse's pathetic non-standards for player misconduct.

In Dane Swan's memoirs, he admits that he was able to get away with more outside the club with Mick Malthouse.

In fact, the assistant coaches wanted to suspend him for breaking team rules but were vetoed by Malthouse, who would protect Swan regardless of external misbehaviour.

If not for a bounce, Malthouse would have spent two decades coaching without a flag.

I posted this on the Essendon board. Just my 2 cents.
Hopefully some common sense happens and Hird is not selected as coach. For all the ■■■■ this club has been through the last decade and they then invite him to apply???

And not open to him as an assistant either. He will be the elephant in the room and the coach who ever that will be doesn’t need that.

To be honest after all that the club, players and supporters have been through this Hird rubbish is a massive slap in the face.
* sake get your ■■■■ together EFC and appoint Yze with a good team and let them do their jobs.
I agree.

It’s most likely Yze will get the job.

The anti Hird hysteria is a peak levels out there in the burbs but will be instantly forgotten if Yze gets the nod.

An online footy forum filled with unhinged knobs with nothing better to do with their lives than type out this outrage is not the place to gage an opinion on Hird.

This is a position that is more than just developing a game plan and encouraging development in young players.

This is a business decision as well with an organisation as big as the EFC that needs to get back on track in all areas included image and branding.

But then again, Hird could put forward a plan and ideas that fit the club right now ..regardless of the events of the past.

We shall soon see what happens..

Tim numerous times... "he's a really intelligent bloke".... so Mr Intelligent who had no clue what was transpiring around him and injecting his son with... I reckon he is intelligent enough to know how to try and con everyone of his non complicity.
Timmy tries so hard to make people forget that it was he pulling all the strings together to get Hird, Bomber et all to the club back in 2011 after it all hit the fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were all in on it, but from what I heard Robbo and Chip Le Grande were the main two running the PR campaign. The Head of News was a massive Essendon supporter and financial contributor - they were going hard to try and spin it and seemed to have an open cheque book to pay.
The CEO of Newscorp is Robert Thompson. Has been in that position since January, 2013, right before the drug scandal broke. He was a mentor to Hird and I believe a former Essendon board member, although I'm not 100% on that.

The Herald Sun also were (are) a sponsor of Essendon. Throughout the saga they painted the AFL as out to get the Bombers (false), the players as brave and Hird as revered as any of the troops storming the beaches of Gallipoli.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

"Some former players, particularly in the Essendon cohort that was involved in the supplement crisis that I have spoken to, don't think James Hird should coach again."

An online footy forum filled with unhinged knobs with nothing better to do with their lives than type out this outrage is not the place to gage an opinion on Hird.
How about the players he coached?

"Some former players, particularly in the Essendon cohort that was involved in the supplement crisis that I have spoken to, don't think James Hird should coach again."

How about the players he coached?

If browne is reporting they don’t, than surely they do.

Yeah nah ..it’s not yeah nah ..it’s yeah yeah

Voss has turn out perfect for Carlton

That’s the truth
Failed coach is sacked from team which happens to be where he played, learns his lessons, has successful many years as assistant and comes back to top coach role at other club

VS

Failed cheating coach sacked from team where he played, learns zero lessons, one year as assistant at shitty Giants, goes back to club where he failed and cheated

yeah nah

Last edited:
Back