Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

In ‘83 I thought the umpires must have confused Robertson with Kennedy, and they kind of did look similar.

And yes Matthews was excellent playing pretty much as a key forward. The bloke was genuinely amazing really.

Robertson kept Watson to pretty much his worst game ever. So his very good stats combined with soundly beating his opponent is what got him the votes.

I guess the good thing about the choice is it wasnt just stat driven, but actual influence.

Your logic would suggest anyone who plays well in the fourth quarter of a close game should be bog and the previous three quarters to set up the game can be completely disregarded.
That's not quite the same thing - a game that is close at the end was likely up for grabs all day, hence efforts across the day mattered as both sides vied for ascendancy and ultimately victory.

Games that are over say, at half time, well stuff done in the second half doesn't matter as much. Obviously you can't just stop because you'll then lose, but the game has a very different dynamic.

A game is played over 4 quarters. He wasn’t easily best on ground by any metrics. Your logic would suggest anyone who plays well in the fourth quarter of a close game should be bog and the previous three quarters to set up the game can be completely disregarded.

Or why not anyone who kicks a match winning goal?

Best on ground has always been over four quarters.

Dom Sheed for the 2018 Norm Smith btw?

I wouldnt say easily BOG but I think he was BOG.

Certainly far better than JJ who had a lot of possessions but didnt do a lot with them. Many were rushed to contests or turnovers.

Compare to Houli in basically the same role, Houli was brilliant all day.

1998. Ben Hart

Thought Danger should've gotten it due to his contested work, then was surprised to see that Smith got 4 out of 5 three-voters..
Smith tore the game apart when it was technically still a contest and played with the type of composure and skill you'd expect of a bloke after his fourth flag. I personally would have given it to Danger but Smith was a fair choice, too.

U wat mate?

Plonker did close to zippedydoodah, just threw the ball on his boot. Mind you, that was very effective against shitney who couldn't find the ball or their boot
Goal assists -

Patrick Dangerfield alone: 6

Whole of Sydney: 5

I was at the game and he was in absolute beast mode in every contest he got to, which was most of them. Also unselfishly used the ball at every opportunity.

Goal assists -

Patrick Dangerfield alone: 6

Whole of Sydney: 5

I was at the game and he was in absolute beast mode in every contest he got to, which was most of them. Also unselfishly used the ball at every opportunity.
I think the peanut you are replying to is one of those folks that doesn't actually watch footy but just regurgitates what he's heard other drunken bogans say at the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith tore the game apart when it was technically still a contest and played with the type of composure and skill you'd expect of a bloke after his fourth flag. I personally would have given it to Danger but Smith was a fair choice, too.
So did Danger. I think he might have been responsible for the buildup of three of the first quarter goals?

So did Danger. I think he might have been responsible for the buildup of three of the first quarter goals?
Yep, I think you're right. Smith's stepping through traffic was poetry, though. Like I said, I would have given it to Danger. The number of times he went in like a piledriver and came out with the ball was ridiculous. Finally, this year he's produced the finals games Cats fans always wanted from him.

Reading some of the posts in this thread, you'd think Dangerfield was BOG by a mile.
He wasn't. I had Isaac Smith as the pretty clear BOG and so did 4 of the 5 judges.

Danger played a good game, but he wasn't THAT good. Certainly not to the point where you'd be kicking and screaming saying he was robbed.
Rozee (by way of Amon) on Brownlow night on the other hand...

Last edited:
Grant kicked 3 in the first half when the game was on the line, 2 of them just before half time on the burst, which iced the game.

Bell played well too but 3 of his 4 came when the game was well and truly over.
Have that final on VHS. Watched that match over a dozen times. Grant edges Bell slightly and was huge early on when the game was there to be won (Bell quiet but came home strong).

The discussion will always be moot until Michael Voss is retrospectively given the 2002 medal. Like Walter Lindrum, the rules were changed because of him...

Dangerfield was very good today, but the witches hats opposition he ran rings around today brings down any chance of his performance being called a GF standout for the ages...
Voss wasn’t even the best Brisbane player that day

Macrae also had 33 disposals as well.
Tom Boyd played well, and it was a feel good story, but I’ve always had the impression the unlucky Norm Smith Medal story grew due to some peoples inability to think for themselves. Seems easier to just re hatch what you may have heard others say.
Now it’s become some sort of mythical game.
liam picken got 24 disposals and 3 goals.

Suprised the bont only had 22 disposals in that 2016 grand final, I thought he had at least 25.

liam picken got 24 disposals and 3 goals.

Suprised the bont only had 22 disposals in that 2016 grand final, I thought he had at least 25.
Yeah, I thought that Picken was the second-best player on the ground, behind Josh Kennedy.

Boyd's game was like Hawkins' game in 2011, or even to a lesser extent Stewart Dew in 2008 or Gavin Wanganeen in 2004: it was a matchwinning cameo.

Reading some of the posts in this thread, you'd think Dangerfield was BOG by a mile.
He wasn't. I had Isaac Smith as the pretty clear BOG and so did 4 of the 5 judges.

Danger played a good game, but he wasn't THAT good. Certainly not to the point where you'd be kicking and screaming saying he was robbed.
Amon on Brownlow night on the other hand...
all those votes were in the moment by people at the ground watching from a distance.

those who have watched the game properly a second time have mostly all changed their view. He had 6 goal assists. Won so many crucial contests.

Yeah, I thought that Picken was the second-best player on the ground, behind Josh Kennedy.

Boyd's game was like Hawkins' game in 2011, or even to a lesser extent Stewart Dew in 2008 or Gavin Wanganeen in 2004: it was a matchwinning cameo.
I think so too. Boyd's game gets overrated a bit because he was seen as a monumental bust until that point.
People are always more impressed by something/someone when the expectations are lower and you're pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

all those votes were in the moment by people at the ground watching from a distance.

those who have watched the game properly a second time have mostly all changed their view. He had 6 goal assists. Won so many crucial contests.
You can make a case for him. But by no means was it a case that 'he was absolutely robbed/what were they thinking giving it to Smith'.
There's a reason why Isaac was shorter than him for the Bet365 in-play betting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back