Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you consider Matt Crouch with 37 possessions in the 2017 a all time great grand final? More to the game than stats

Plenty of cheap 1, 2 possessions in this vid

I know this is a bit of an old post, but I couldn’t help but watch.

Jeez that was a quality game.

As for cheapies, I saw 3, maybe 4 at a real stretch, that you could classify as ‘cheap’.

I’d be interested to see how a compilation of one of Dusty’s Norms compares if there is one.

Robbie Williams and Patrick Dangerfield (2022)
Tom Hawkins (2011)
Bachar Houli (2017)

Robbie Williams and Patrick Dangerfield (2022)
Tom Hawkins (2011)
Bachar Houli (2017)
2004 Peter Burgoyne; where Byron Pickett claimed the Norm Smith medal with a classy 20 disposals, nine inside 50s and three goals.

Burgoyne accumulated 25 disposals, displayed his class in the first quarter, collecting plenty of the ball and finding targets inside 50.
Stand-in captain Warren Tredrea capitalised on Burgoyne’s ball use going forward, kicking the Power’s third with Brisbane yet to register a major.

What's so funny JohnZ ?

In 1989, Gary Ablett kicked 9 of Geelong's 21 goals, won the Norm Smith and people remember it as one of the most legendary GF performances ever in a losing team

In 1985, Brereton kicked 8 of Hawthorn's 14 goals on a day his team was slaughtered and you laugh at me for suggesting it was the best grand final performance to not win a norm smith

It's gotta be up there as one of the greatest efforts for a losing team.

Excuse me if I think it deserves to be mentioned ahead of Tom Hawkins kicking 3 of Geelong's 18 goals in 2011 and getting the better of an opponent (Ben Reid) who was struggling with a groin injury.

Last edited:
What's so funny JohnZ ?

In 1989, Gary Ablett kicked 9 of Geelong's 21 goals, won the Norm Smith and people remember it as one of the most legendary GF performances ever in a losing team

In 1985, Brereton kicked 8 of Hawthorn's 14 goals on a day his team was slaughtered and you laugh at me for suggesting it was the best grand final performance to not win a norm smith

It's gotta be up there as one of the greatest efforts for a losing team.

Nah

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Boyd in 2016.

Norm Smith selectors proving time and again how clueless they are.

Match the AA selectors perfectly.

Since 2016 we have something credible to measure Smith Medal votes against. Coaches votes.

2016 Smith Medal - Johannisen 10(of max 15), Kennedy 8, Boyd 7 Picken 5

v 2016 Ayres Medal - Johannisen 9(max 10,) Boyd 8, Kennedy 7 Picken, Wood 2 Hamling, Macrae 1

So the coaches had them in a similar order but gave both JJ and Boyd a greater % of the votes than the Smith Medal panel.

2017 Smith Medal - Martin 13, Houli 10, Rance, Edwards, Prestia 2, Graham 1

2017 Ayres Medal - Houli 10(max,) Martin 8, Rance 6, Edwards 4, Graham, Riewoldt 1

Again quite strong correlation, coaches had Houli just ahead of Martin, Smith panel Martin just ahead of Houli.

2018 Smith Medal - Shuey 11(of max 12, only 4 voters for some reason), Adams 7, Sheed 4, McGovern, Langdon 1

2018 Ayres Medal - Shuey 10(max), Sheed 8, Adams 6, Barass 4, Langdon 2

Plenty of correlation, top 3 identical 2nd and 3rd different order.

2019 Smith Medal - Martin 15(max,) Houli 6, Pickett 4, Riewoldt 3, Prestia 2

2019 Ayres Medal - Martin 10(max,) Houli 7, Riewoldt 6, Pickett 4, Vlastuin 3

Agreed on top 2 including the order, minor differences further down the chain

2020 Smith Medal - Martin 15(max) Short 8, Edwards 4, Duncan 3(I corrected the Leigh Matthews error in giving 2 to Broad when he meant to give 2 to Short)

2020 Ayres Medal - Martin 10(max) Short 8 Edwards 5 Stewart Duncan 3 Bolton 1

Again very close correlation, top 3 identical order.

2021 Smith Medal - Petracca 15(max,) Fritsch 10, Oliver 3, Salem, Daniel 1

2021 Ayres Medal - Petracca 10(max,) Fritsch 8, Oliver 5, Daniel 3, Salem 2, Bontempelli, Brayshaw 1

Top 5 same, all in order.

2022 Smith Medal - Smith 14, Dangerfield 10, Stengle 4, de Koning, Blicavs 1

2022 Ayres Medal - Smith 10(max,) Dangerfield 8, Hawkins 6, Stengle 4, Blicavs, de Koning 1

Again very strong correlation top 2 identical. Coaches liked Hawkins but Smith Medal voters gave him nothing. Bar that they are near identical.

So the only time the coaches have disagreed with Smith medal voters on BOG was 2017 when they had the same top 2 but in the opposite order, but in both cases by relatively close margins. You can go through them all but I think your statement that Smith medal voters are clueless isn't correct based on how closely their votes correlate with coaches votes.

Last edited:
Since 2016 we have something credible to measure Smith Medal votes against. Coaches votes.

2016 Smith Medal - Johannisen 10(of max 15), Kennedy 8, Boyd 7 Picken 5

v 2016 Ayres Medal - Johannisen 9(max 10,) Boyd 8, Kennedy 7 Picken, Wood 2 Hamling, Macrae 1

So the coaches had them in a similar order but gave both JJ and Boyd a greater % of the votes than the Smith Medal panel.

2017 Smith Medal - Martin 13, Houli 10, Rance, Edwards, Prestia 2, Graham 1

2017 Ayres Medal - Houli 10(max,) Martin 8, Rance 6, Edwards 4, Graham, Riewoldt 1

Again quite strong correlation, coaches had Houli just ahead of Martin, Smith panel Martin just ahead of Houli.

2018 Smith Medal - Shuey 11(of max 12, only 4 voters for some reason), Adams 7, Sheed 4, McGovern, Langdon 1

2018 Ayres Medal - Shuey 10(max), Sheed 8, Adams 6, Barass 4, Langdon 2

Plenty of correlation, top 3 identical 2nd and 3rd different order.

2019 Smith Medal - Martin 15(max,) Houli 6, Pickett 4, Riewoldt 3, Prestia 2

2019 Ayres Medal - Martin 10(max,) Houli 7, Riewoldt 6, Pickett 4, Vlastuin 3

Agreed on top 2 including the order, minor differences further down the chain

2020 Smith Medal - Martin 15(max) Short 8, Edwards 4, Duncan 3(I corrected the Leigh Matthews error in giving 2 to Broad when he meant to give 2 to Short)

2020 Ayres Medal - Martin 10(max) Short 8 Edwards 5 Stewart Duncan 3 Bolton 1

Again very close correlation, top 3 identical order.

2021 Smith Medal - Petracca 15(max,) Fritsch 10, Oliver 3, Salem, Daniel 1

2021 Ayres Medal - Petracca 10(max,) Fritsch 8, Oliver 5, Daniel 3, Salem 2, Bontempelli, Brayshaw 1

Top 5 same, all in order.

2022 Smith Medal - Smith 14, Dangerfield 10, Stengle 4, de Koning, Blicavs 1

2022 Ayres Medal - Smith 10(max,) Dangerfield 8, Hawkins 6, Stengle 4, Blicavs, de Koning 1

Again very strong correlation top 2 identical. Coaches liked Hawkins but Smith Medal voters gave him nothing. Bar that they are near identical.

So the only time the coaches have disagreed with Smith medal voters on BOG was 2017 when they had the same top 2 but in the opposite order, but in both cases by relatively close margins. You can go through them all but I think your statement that Smith medal voters are clueless isn't correct based on hos closely their votes correlate with coaches votes.

Or the coaches just vote the same as the Norm Smith because the season is over and why rock the boat and create a media fuss, unless they clearly thought someone was better (Houli was robbed, he was insanely good all day while Dusty did the most after the game was won).

Or the coaches just vote the same as the Norm Smith because the season is over and why rock the boat and create a media fuss, unless they clearly thought someone was better (Houli was robbed, he was insanely good all day while Dusty did the most after the game was won).

Saying coaches don't vote sincerely in Grand Finals would have to be one of the most baseless claims I have seen on here. Why did they reverse the Norm Smith quinella in 2017 if they don't want to create a fuss because the season is over? Makes zero sense. Surely it makes more sense to say the Norm Smith medal voting is given credibility by the strong correlation to coaches votes?

It is patently wrong to say Dusty did most of his work after the game was won, where did you get that from? His performance was evenly spread across the 4 quarters. He had 29 disposals, 22 contested possessions, 2 goals + 2 goals assists and 9 score involvements. He got a goal or an assist in every 1/4 and they all involved winning contests, 2 of those v multiple players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back