Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Gunston was a touch unlucky in 2013, I felt. Lake was certainly good, but 4 goals in a low-scoring game (with only 19 kicked in total) was a big effort.

Perhaps he was deemed ineligible because Zac Dawson was his direct opponent.
I think if Gunston had added another goal in the last quarter, he would have gotten over the line.

Ablett's 2008 grand final is one of the most overrated ever, sure he had a lot of the ball, but most were cheap possessions with no impact as his team got well beaten

GAJ 08 GF is the prime example of why we vote all awards bar the Coleman based on influence rather than stats. We don’t want Tom Mitchell type winners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The great L R T.....the hyphenator, the crowd favorite. I'll never forget that gazelle like running gate and those teeth glinting in the sun.
He surely must have been close to a normie in a couple of GF's.
If Embley could jag a norm smith then surely LRT should have one.

The great L R T.....the hyphenator, the crowd favorite. I'll never forget that gazelle like running gate and those teeth glinting in the sun.
He surely must have been close to a normie in a couple of GF's.
If Embley could jag a norm smith then surely LRT should have one.

LRT could have won it in 2005 but not 2006. He kicked a goal in 2006 but was very poor outside of that moment that day.

Ablett's 2008 grand final is one of the most overrated ever, sure he had a lot of the ball, but most were cheap possessions with no impact as his team got well beaten
So a player can't have any impact if they play in the losing team?

Trent Croad with his 1 possession in 34% game time was more influential in the 2008 Grand Final than GAJ, because he played for the winning team.

Another simplistic, binary assessment by a Richmond supporter.

He had 34 posies that day but you’re saying at least 18 of them were cheapies?

Would you care to point out all 18+ of them that you think were “cheap” once you view the match and then share your opinion back here please?

I’m genuinely interested in how you watch a game.

Last edited:
So a player can't have any impact if they play in the losing team?

Trent Croad with his 1 possession in 34% game time was more influential in the 2008 Grand Final than GAJ, because he played for the winning team.

Another simplistic, binary assessment by a Richmond supporter.
Trent croad had the cats hearing footsteps after he took out selwood on one leg. Clear mvp

He had 34 posies that day but you’re saying at least 18 of them were cheapies?

Would you care to point out all 18+ of them that you think were “cheap” once you view the match and then share your opinion back here please?

Do you consider Matt Crouch with 37 possessions in the 2017 a all time great grand final? More to the game than stats

Plenty of cheap 1, 2 possessions in this vid

Do you consider Matt Crouch with 37 possessions in the 2017 a all time great grand final? More to the game than stats

Plenty of cheap 1, 2 possessions in this vid

Would you care to point out all 18+ of GAJ’s possessions that you think were “cheap” in the 2008 GF once you view the match and then share your opinion back here please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That video is only 3 & 1/2 minutes, a full game of football goes for much longer than that.
Please be more specific if you can.
And that video shows most of his game, wasn't very impressive

Geelong supporters are really insecure with people not rating Ablett's 08 grand final as one of the greats aren't they

The video proves my claim enough

Fail The Simpsons GIF

And that video shows most of his game, wasn't very impressive

Geelong supporters are really insecure with people not rating Ablett's 08 grand final as one of the greats aren't they
If you watch that video and your take away is that Ablett got lots of cheap possessions and his game wasn't that impressive, you clearly do not understand the game of AFL football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back