Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how many can argue Dangerfield was most influential with the game in the balance. The game was in the balance for about 15 minutes and one player tipped it with back to back goals to put the result beyond doubt, and it was Isaac Smith

Not sure how many can argue Dangerfield was most influential with the game in the balance. The game was in the balance for about 15 minutes and one player tipped it with back to back goals to put the result beyond doubt, and it was Isaac Smith
And who extracted the ball from contests to get the footy forward in the first place, though? Danger was the major reason the whole first quarter was played in our forward half.

Dangerfield was so good in 2022, but what happened in 2020.
Sat on the bench or hid in the forward-line while Dustin Martin pumelled the crap out of Geelong's midfield in the second half.
I'm still angry about that, I'll never get over it.
Dangerfield wasn't in charge of team tactics at the time if I recall. Also Dusty was half-forward.

Darren Jolly completely dominated the ruck in the 2010 Grand Final replay, a major factor in Collingwood thrashing St Kilda to win the premiership, but didn't win the Norm Smith Medal.
Unlucky not to have three Norm Smiths, as he was best on for West Coast in 2006 and Geelong in 2011 as well.

Could be wrong, but I thought Smith's last 1/4 was still relatively better than other NS contenders, like Danger, though

Most of Danger's goal assists were in the last quarter, it may have been his best quarter stats wise.

Dangerfield was so good in 2022, but what happened in 2020.
Sat on the bench or hid in the forward-line while Dustin Martin pumelled the crap out of Geelong's midfield in the second half.
I'm still angry about that, I'll never get over it.
To be fair Danger did the same thing in 2020 that he did in the PF 2019. Just disappeared from the face of the earth in the second halves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Norm Smith voting should only take into account the players' performance in the period where the game was there to be won. The more the scoreboard ticks over to one side, the less players' performance should count. I don't think final quarter stats in a flogging should even be looked at.

Smith did play very well in the first quarter, but I think it was only his extra stats in the last quarter that put him over the top in the voting.

As far as influencing the outcome when the game was there to be won, I'd put Danger, de Konig and even Selwood as all more influential on the result than Smith.
The game at all times is there to be won.

1970 and 1989 proves this.

Unlucky not to have three Norm Smiths, as he was best on for West Coast in 2006 and Geelong in 2011 as well.
He never played for Gee....... oh, I see what you did there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back