Best grand final performances to not win a norm smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan had a defensive role to play - but I recon he had the LD medal sewn up well before the game started - it's just how Big Footy and Bay 13 works.
In my mind whatever he did on GF day was incidental as if he didn't play his magnificent game in the QF, Geelong may not have been in the GF. It was a decisive performance and one that will live in Geelong folklore i reckon. Absolves just about any previous moderate performance in my eyes.

Probably my opinion will be considered a bit out there, but I honestly thought Frawley had the best game for Hawks in 2015. Didn’t have the glamour of Cyril though.
I always thought Heffernan stiff in 2000.

How about you? :)

Buckley 2002 poor man deserved a premiership medal. Imagine leaving Brisbane to chase premierships then ending up with a participant ribbon.

Boyd should’ve won it. He kicked 3 goals. Played ruck for large parts. Took 8 marks. 7 SI’s. He was the difference in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fritsch kicked 6 goals. Mostly clutch goals too. He also had 9 score involvements and Boyd had 6 Score involvements, not 7. 7 players for the dogs had 6 or more score involvements, so almost 1/3 of the team had that many score involvements so not that impressive.

Thought Danger should've gotten it due to his contested work, then was surprised to see that Smith got 4 out of 5 three-voters..
Danger’s brutality at the contest was a standout, at the game I thought he was the fire starter alongside Hawkins. I had him as best on ground. But to answer the question, even though he was never going to get the NS because his team got thrashed, Dermott’s 85 GF has to be an all time great GF performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheed was good and the goal would've put him up there but Shueys GF (I think) still ranks as Champion Data's no.1 GF performance of all time.

Beast mode Shuey

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gary Ablett’s 1989 GF performance is and most likely always will be the greatest ever GF performance, as good as Shuey was.

Probably my opinion will be considered a bit out there, but I honestly thought Frawley had the best game for Hawks in 2015. Didn’t have the glamour of Cyril though.

Kinda agree,

People often revert to the stats as the argument & basis for BOG, players dont need to have big disposal counts/goals alone to have the most influential impact on the game.

If he was the best, Collingwood would have won. Voss dominated the last 5 minutes and got them over the line.
Football games go for longer than 5 minutes. Voss wasn't top three for Brisbane, let alone best on ground. Black, Lappin and Keating played better games

Football games go for longer than 5 minutes. Voss wasn't top three for Brisbane, let alone best on ground. Black, Lappin and Keating played better games
Not according to the Norm Smith voting. Voss was 2nd behind Buckley & they closed the voting 5 minutes before the end to engrave it. They also changed the entire process the next year because of it.

Not according to the Norm Smith voting. Voss was 2nd behind Buckley & they closed the voting 5 minutes before the end to engrave it. They also changed the entire process the next year because of it.
Debatable

Buckley won the count with 12 of a possible 15 votes from Anthony Rocca with eight votes, Nigel Lappin with five, Voss with four and Simon Black with one.

That the judges would allow 5 minutes of footy to change a player from 4 votes to beat the leader on 12 is an indictment on them, not the voting process

all those votes were in the moment by people at the ground watching from a distance.

those who have watched the game properly a second time have mostly all changed their view. He had 6 goal assists. Won so many crucial contests.

I didn't need a second or eleventh viewing, I thought Danger was clearly BOG on first viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back