Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think some people realise that a 5 game and 0 game player in Ras and Johnson are not going to replace Acres and Mundy in a team that is opening up its Tilt window
I think some people are capable of seeing the bigger picture. I see both sides and understand both sides.

If Lobb goes, there is no tilt in the next 3-4 years

There’s a lot of PTSD on this board, I guess it’s understandable. But the fact is we are in the middle of transitioning from a non contender to a contender.
The window is now starting to open.
I keep thinking of how i felt walking out of the MCG a month ago after being comprehensively dismantled by a pies side with seasoned AFL bodies everywhere across the pitch. We were bullied physically and mentally that night in most positions on the field. It was a 20 point hammering, let’s be honest. But a great learning experience for a rapidly developing group.

We have to trade. We simply HAD to and we did. Jackson will contribute immediately next year. People who think we should have kept the picks are nuts. What use would those player be to us in 2024, 2025?
JOM at 29 in 2023 - Right in the sweet spot, a seasoned and hardened body able to sustain finals intensity for four quarters.
People talking about Erasmus and Johnson as significant contributors next season are not serious. They can’t be compared to JOM in 2023. If they each play 10 or 12 games next year as bottom 6 players in the team that’s a good result. See NOD in 2022 for the blueprint for both those guys next year.
Look at cooper stephens at The cats. Taken at pick 16 in 2019 and he’s barely got a look in but is still sticking around at Geelong because he’s clearly on track in their eyes to play a part in future.
We need depth. Options.
You can’t win a flag without good trading.
However, if you have been burned by bad trading, not doing it at all and only drafting won’t win a flag either. Important not to forget that.
I can deal with a boring draft night - Geelong have had plenty over the last 15 years…

Where's the fun in blindly trusting everything the club does without having an opinion? Trade period is for two things
A) Melting when we inevitably overvalue our teams players and gets unders
B) Melting when we inevitably undervalue other teams players and overpay

There is no calm rational in between for trade week
I'll add one more thing
C) Laughing/crying at GC and GWS for the list management shit they do. Hilarious when it's with us, not so funny when it's with Geelong

Tom Mitchell is worth more than Jaeger right, right????

I think Hawks MIGHT be on a hiding to nothing on this one, they half tried to push them out last year and they are doing the same again. Hard to keep doing it every trade period and not actually follow through. Think there's going to be some melting in that Draft board thread when this is done
I honestly think Mitchell is worth more than Omeara yes. It almost low key seems like Hawks are tanking. Almost throwing away all their good players and playing the ones who are still there out of position.

Also, why is a good 28 year old big bodied midfielder a s**t trade target but picking up a 29 year old, overweight forward pocket who is currently retired the best thing since sliced bread?

All for picking up Tippa btw, trying to prove a point
Big bodied? He is 183cm and slow as a wet week and has a bung knee. Not sure what's so difficult to understand.

Tippa is a forward, is FREE, and is genuinely electric and would give us a Walters type up front for a good 2-3 years with Sonny probably in his last season.

Last edited:
Out: Mundy, Logue, Acres, Lobb, Tucker and Meek

In: Jackson, Corbett, JOM, Sharp
Take Lobb out of the outs and looks ok. Remembering Mundy was always gone can't go on forever. So out Logue , Acres , Tucker and Meek in Jackson , Corbett , JOM and Sharp looks far more palatable . Our young mids look after the Mundy absence and the futures so bright I have got to wear shades. :cool:

I honestly think Mitchell is worth more than Omeara yes. It almost low key seems like Hawks are tanking. Almost throwing away all their good players and playing the ones who are still there out of position.
Tanking for Wembanyama, who can blame them. Now THERE's a unicorn if there ever was one

Because the 28 year old is no longer good, has a lengthy injury history, can't endurance run anymore, doesn't defend, and is playing at a position where we already have heaps of promising younger, fitter less injured kids - whereas the 29 year old (he is actually 27), "overweight" (he weighs less than Schultz or Banfield) currently retired player is a pacey, highly defensive pressure forward with a great record of 4th quarter tackling, turnover creation and accurate kicking for goal. Which are all desperate areas of need for us. Plus he's on a lower salary than JOm and won't cost us picks.
:raisedhands:

Because the 28 year old is no longer good, has a lengthy injury history, can't endurance run anymore, doesn't defend, and is playing at a position where we already have heaps of promising younger, fitter less injured kids - whereas the 29 year old (he is actually 27), "overweight" (he weighs less than Schultz or Banfield) currently retired player is a pacey, highly defensive pressure forward with a great record of 4th quarter tackling, turnover creation and accurate kicking for goal. Which are all desperate areas of need for us. Plus he's on a lower salary than JOm and won't cost us picks.
I’m pretty sure Tippa is 29?? I thought he was 22 when he joined the Essendon list in 2015/16

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s just horrible to listen to from Gossage.
Jackson comes across as a really nice young lad. A bit naive and green maybe, but he’s already sounding like a very genuine guy that just wants to fit in and will be popular member of the group.

Tim Gossage - I hope you read this. I’m sure you google your name on BF every now and again.
You are a nasty nasty piece of work. I hope you felt good about yourself trying to ridicule and catch out a young lad that came on your Mickey Mouse radio show in good faith to talk about a positive moment for him and his family, a kid that’s already achieved more in his life than a pathetic bottom feeder like you will ever accomplish.
Get cactus.

Great post Dockeroo
Gossage is an ego driven out of date hack who had relevance when Tiny Pinder played for the Wildcats, but has done and achieved nothing since.

He is up there with Zempilas, Hardon, Sushsannah Caww and Tim McMillan...

... I am worried about tomorrow.

matthew street GIF

I'd be excited about the pre-injury GC version who looked like being the best player in the game at out point, less enthused about this version.

If the price is just Meek, then I will with hold the melts and at least be meh with the idea. More than Meek and i'll do absolutely nothing while being very very annoyed
The trade price literally can’t be anything more than a 44/67/76, Future third, or Future 4. Also we can’t trade a combination of a F3 and F4.

So the highest trade we can offer as we speak today would be PP-F3 & 44.

With F1 gone we need to retain at least one F2, F3, F4. We can trade out F4 because we have two F3’s and we can can trade out a F3 because we have two of them.

This reeks of a salary dump and swap for Meek and possibly something coming back our way. This also looks like it has developed from discussions between Freo and Hawks in relation to Meek.

Reports on Fox that it started as a result of JOM being best man over the weekend at Coniglio’s wedding. I reckon it has been kicking around between Freo and Hawks and GWS have jumped in. The VIC media have it wrong. Well that’s my theory anyway.

I think Sharp is dead in the water unless this salary dump results in an upgrade for us:
Meek, F3 > JOM, F2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back