Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I am pretty confident that Treacy is there because Jackson is under a cloud, and Taberner might be too. There's no way we play all 3 of them and Fyfe as well.
I think we can play them all. They each provide something different, the pressure Treacy provides makes his presence unique.

I don't see Tabs or Jackson being under injury clouds. Only player who might be is Schultz, who did something at training, but came back on.

I think we can play them all. They each provide something different, the pressure Treacy provides makes his presence unique.

I don't see Tabs or Jackson being under injury clouds. Only player who might be is Schultz, who did something at training, but came back on.
Treacy is unique in that he can play small with his speed and pressure.
Jackson can as well as he’s quick on the floor.
Have to play the 4.

At Marvel we definitely can't afford to go with a big lumbering forward line, but the only one I would put in that category is Tabs. RTB has said they will look to win games with speed - we will need some speed. But we want to win with our game plan not his.

Correct. He will be there to protect the fat side and to scoot back to help team defence. Just running and running. I don't mind it. I wish him well.

Did you know I spent years looking at your avatar thinking it was a blurry pick of some indie musician in a corduroy jacket and that your username was some in-joke. But my daughter is a violinist and I should have known better.

Cue shameless plug for her upcoming show at the Freo Town Hall that you may be interested in.
Good luck! I hope she nails it!

I'm having some late doubts now, thinking that Henry is a chance to miss and we run Freddy as that 3rd wing rotation, would mean Sturt comes in then and Henry sub

(I actually reckon we have a surprise injury out and they all play but that's not as fun to guess)

To me, the 18 named are all in.The rest comes to IC an sub.
I see Tabs, Sturt and Treacy as ICs. Thesub a toss up between Johnson and Banfiled.
After thewrapthe coach gave Sturt the other night, I can't see him missing out.

So taking 25 of the 26 named. I hope this isn't the new standard for away games, that's three guys that either get no game time or reduced time as a sub per trip.

I dont think they take Treacy unless he's playing, I also think the sub gives them an out to take out the extra tall later in the game if needed. I'm locking him in
Treacy has been in all preseason, can't see us ditching him now

You're right, the sub is perfect for this, could even be a swap for Sturt at half time if needed

So taking 25 of the 26 named. I hope this isn't the new standard for away games, that's three guys that either get no game time or reduced time as a sub per trip.
It's only preseason games right now in wafl but we will usually take 24 I reckon

Couple under injury clouds could have lead to 25

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bereft of key forwards I think Lyon might tactically try something like he did in 2019 when Fremantle beat Geelong at home. A running team not super-talented and perhaps a ruckman as the key target forward and the rest very mobile. Cordy, Sharman, Caminiti, Campbell are all named in their squad at this stage with Caminiti (196cm) expected to debut. I would think that they would need a 2nd rucking tall to help Marshall...unless they concede the ruck contest when Marshall is resting and try to win it at the 2nd phase.

I don't think they have much inside 50m that provides a mismatch for them but I guess it will be attitude to making a contest and preventing us rebounding quickly - which is where I think we can get on top. Owens and Phillipou are both around 191cm so they probably have some ability to contest in the air.
We have Ryan, Chapman, Young to take the hybrid forwards and Clark, Walker maybe Wilson for the smalls as well as options with Aish and Hughes.

St Kildas wings (Hill and Wood) and half backs (Sinclair and Wanganeen-Milera) are one area where they might be able to get some drive. If they get on top there we might have trouble connecting with our forwards which are still a work in progress. Still a bit concerned about being too tall in our foward line if we name all of Treacy, Taberner and Jackson. It might be a wait and see on how the Bulldogs fare with their tall forwards for the final decision.

I'm going for a 25 pt win to us.
Can't see how any team this year is going to get past Cordy, Sharman, Caminiti and Campbell

My fear is that Longmuir gets in to a defensive peeing contest with Lyon. The coaches who have had success over Lyon coached teams attack them. Those who he has the wood over are ones who have defensive gameplans as well. If we just try to stimy them, we could get out-stymied. We need to go at them and use the talent advantage we have.

Caution against a dangerous opponent is well advised. Caution against a lessor opponent that goes too far can lead to giving away advantages you shouldn't. I hope they try and run with us, we'll get caught out from time to time, but they'll get caught out more and we should have more weapons with which to take advantage of it if we pick the right guys.

We'll get an idea in the final selections. Banfield is a fine selection as a sub, but if he makes the 22 then we are going in to the game with the wrong mindset. That'd be a clear indication we're more worried about them than we are confident in what we can do. If he does run out as B22, Longmuir's biggest flaw (team selections) will be laid bare again.

I get the fear in those expecting it, honestly I don't see it happening but we'll see.

They did it reasonably regularly last year. Usually with guys who had a good run of form and fitness though. Right now there's no games on at WAFL so its less of an issue I reckon.

They did it reasonably regularly last year. Usually with guys who had a good run of form and fitness though. Right now there's no games on at WAFL so its less of an issue I reckon.
OK I thought we only took 24 last year, my bad. I would have thought it's more of an issue early in the year personally to give the guys pushing up from below as much game time as possible, even if it's a WAFL preseason match.
Anyway perhaps as freo_leo said it is because Schultz and maybe someone else is proppy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back