mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Welcome to the 2023 season of the Australian Football League, the long and tedious pre-season is finally over, however, St Kilda and Fremantle fans have the longest to wait for some much needed catharsis.

Match Details
1:40 PM WST at Marvel Stadium
Fremantle currently strong favourites with the bookies.

Last Time They Met
Round 17 2022, St Kilda hosted Freo at Marvel Stadium. Tensions were high with the St Kilda crowd, with their team on the cusp of the eight there was desperation for a quality performance that would signal a return to finals football. This game can be summarised as follows: BOOOOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOO, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, gt absolutely fkd Matt Stevic, BOOOOOOOOO, you're a campaigner Stevic.
The eloquent crowd let umpire Matt Stevic know they disagreed with some of his decisions, particularly a holding the ball call denied when Jordan Clark got a toe to the ball while being tackled, which was soon followed a correct HTB call against Brad Hill, followed by Dan Butler politely telling Umpire Stevic what he thought of his umpiring, leading to a momentum swing to Fremantle.

The game in all its glory is reviewed here:

A fairly sad game for the Sainters as their team was just awful in the second half and they needed to take out their frustrations on the umps:

Fyfe, Brayshaw, and Darcy were huge in a game where Freo was rocked by the late out of Alex Pearce. This was also the first appearance of Lobb's bleached blond hair, a memorable moment. Tom Highmore was particularly effective for Fremantle, with his precision skills directly leading to at least three goals for Fremantle.

The Teams
The saints could be without up to ten (!) of their first choice players, it's not ideal as Ross Lyon would say. But they'll want to become an anywhere, anytime team right?
A possible team:
B: Webster, Howard, Battle
HB: Sinclair, Wilkie, Wanganeen-Milera
C: Wood, Steele, Hill (rock?)
HF: Gresham, Membrey??, Phillipou
F: Owens, Caminiti, Higgins
FOL: Marshall, Crouch, Clark

I/C: Bytel, Butler, Cordy, Stocker

Potential but unlikely: Windhager, Ross, question marks on Membrey.

Fremantle on the other hand enter the game at near full strength, with a B22 never being harder to predict:
B: Walker, Pearce, Ryan
HB: Young, Cox, Clark
C: Henry, Brayshaw, Aish
HF: Frederick, Fyfe, Jackson
F: Sturt, Taberner, Schultz
Fol: Darcy, Serong, O'Meara

I/C: Brodie, Switkowski, Treacy, Chapman
Sub: Hughes/Johnson/Banfield

Unavailable: Nathan O'Driscoll (fitness), Walters (Achilles). Frederick of course remains under a quad strain injury cloud, but I'm predicting he gets up, if fit, he plays. If Walters is fit then Sturt will get pushed out.

Tactics and Strategy
This will likely be a game of Freo playing their natural game with St Kilda putting their efforts into taking that away from them, a strategy forced on them through player unavailability. With a makeshift forward line vs. arguably the best defense in the game, St Kilda will find scoring difficult. Fremantle will look to play aggressive at the centre bounce to score before the Saints have the opportunity to get men back. The secondary avenue to goal will be turnovers, and they'll look to slingshot through Young and Clark should the opportunity present. Forward half pressure will be crucial, and this was where ascendancy was gained for Freo last time they met, with skill errors from the Saints out of defense leading to multiple goals.
Windhager will tag Brayshaw if he plays, and Fyfe will be a tough match up, with Wilkie likely to get first go at stifling the champ.

The Result
Freo could not have fixtured St Kilda at a better time and while Round 1 can dish up strange things, it is difficult to see anything but a win for Fremantle eventuating. Fremantle by 45 points, Fyfe to kick four.

Last edited:
For mine, I'm torn but I THINK Freddy plays while they play it safe with Walters and Noddy. Plus, the players in Walters and Noddy's spot have done nothing wrong. Picking the team is ******* hard though, particularly that forwardline balance. I'm sticking with Walker for now because he is still the best defender of smalls.

Ryan Pearce Young
Clark Cox Chapman
Aish Brayshaw Henry
Sturt Fyfe Switta
Schultz Tabs Treacy

Darcy Serong Brodie

Jackson JOM Walker Frederick

Sub: Banfield or Hughes

cool. hibernation over. time to be back.

team (I'll back JLo at this point). easy win 27 points. 3 votes serong. AFL journos starting to realise how strong the Freo midfield team is getting. Also, Ross getting uneasy and mildly aggressive fielding stupid questions from WA journos in the presser

The preseason is done and round 1 2023 is here!!!!!

Rick Flair Crypto GIF by BitPal

Who's in your round 1 team, how much are we winning by?

mattis117 there's no rush on your write-up, we'll carry it over into the game thread
eyyy was going to say you stealing my thunder?! Preview will be up next week.

I've just finished watching them play. Our rucks are way better, our midfield is better (though they put the usual Ross style pressure around the ball), our tall defenders are better. The tall forwards are equal. Their main avenue to a win is their small forwards are better. I guess we can't be overly reactive but I would put every small defender we have on the plane. Walker might get a reprieve despite his underwhelming performances

The main worry is there pressure. We know a Ross Lyon team will be high pressure and we crumbled in those circumstances last year (think both Collingwood games, Melbourne and Sydney at Optus). Actually a pretty good early test I think.

I don’t think NOD will play round one at this point. Thought Henry and Hughes showed enough to lock themselves in the wing for round one + lack of pre season and match fitness will impact a guy who’s only played about 10 games.

Freddy and sonny will come straight back in if their healthy imo.

I've just finished watching them play. Our rucks are way better, our midfield is better (though they put the usual Ross style pressure around the ball), our tall defenders are better. The tall forwards are equal. Their main avenue to a win is their small forwards are better. I guess we can't be overly reactive but I would put every small defender we have on the plane. Walker might get a reprieve despite his underwhelming performances
If we’re serious, their tall forwards are horrendous. Shot. No King, Membrey doubtful.

Fremantle want to be serious.. should win this game and by a fair margin.

If we’re serious, their tall forwards are horrendous. Shot. No King, Membrey doubtful.

Fremantle want to be serious.. should win this game and by a fair margin.
Wood played all over the ground including high forward and had 15 marks today, and that Phillipou did OK for a youngster. I'm not sure we're that much better off in the tall forwards stakes.

For mine, I'm torn but I THINK Freddy plays while they play it safe with Walters and Noddy. Plus, the players in Walters and Noddy's spot have done nothing wrong. Picking the team is ******* hard though, particularly that forwardline balance. I'm sticking with Walker for now because he is still the best defender of smalls.

Ryan Pearce Young
Clark Cox Chapman
Aish Brayshaw Henry
Sturt Fyfe Switta
Schultz Tabs Treacy

Darcy Serong Brodie

Jackson JOM Walker Frederick

Sub: Banfield or Hughes
Very good side but 8 guys rotating through the forward line. I reckon Hughes might come in for Sturt but we shall see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good side but 8 guys rotating through the forward line. I reckon Hughes might come in for Sturt but we shall see.
I'd rather put Chapman, Sturt and Freddy through the wing for parts than play Hughes. I just dont see Hughes as a winning player if he's on the wing and he shouldnt be playing if we only have a couple injuries. On the wing, he's a poor mans Acres and we just basically kicked him out of the club due to his playstyle

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
C: Henry, O'Meara, O'Driscoll
HF: Frederick, Treacy, Schultz
FF: Fyfe, Taberner, Switkowski
R: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw
I: Jackson, Brodie, Chapman, Aish

Assuming freddy is fit to play and walters is rested. Think Nod will be fine.
Freo to win by 20ish points

FB: Ryan, Pearce, Walker
C: Henry, O'Meara, O'Driscoll
HF: Frederick, Treacy, Schultz
FF: Fyfe, Taberner, Switkowski
R: Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw
I: Jackson, Brodie, Chapman, Aish

Assuming freddy is fit to play and walters is rested. Think Nod will be fine.
Freo to win by 20ish points
I get the feeling he'll be ok but also he's behind the 8 ball a little bit. Maybe he can catch up enough in 2 weeks, I hope so

Still don't think we will play more than three tall forwards including Jackson so:

Ryan Pearce Chapman
Young Cox Clark
Aish Brayshaw Henry
Switkowski Taberner Frederick
Shultz Fyfe Jackson

Darcy Serong O'Meara
Brodie Sturt Walker O'Driscoll

With:
  • Treacy to come in if Jackson doesn't get up
  • Hughes to come in if Ryan doesn't get up.
  • Walters to come in if fit for Sturt, but no chances taken with achilles injury.

we have the goods to unravel a depleted Saints team even with our own outs and away from home (for the 4th consecutive time, fffs!!). We looked way sharper yesterday - especially around the middle, have the hunger and desire there; Cox and Pearce down back are just absolute generals, and I have a feeling Fyfe is going to go beast mode, maybe not as soon as Round 1, but there's hints at play. Serongs hands in the middle clearances were Brodie-esque sexual, precision torpedos splitting their mids to O'Meara who was a lot better too....great signs from Henry and Sturt too, Jackson to definitely come back.

Before a ball is even bounced, time to holler illogical Flagmantle yawps from the rooftops ladies and gents!!

Always easy to be upbeat off a meaningless pre-season win just as it is to feel forlorn off a meaningless loss.
But anyway. Freo by 34 :)

Ryan Pearce Chapman
Young Cox Clark
Aish Brayshaw Henry
Switkowski Jackson Frederick
Schultz Taberner Fyfe

Darcy Brodie Serong

O'Meara Walker Sturt Johnson

Sub: Hughes Emerg: Wilson

Don't go in with too many iffy players into a Rd 1 clash. Frederick and Ryan leaves Walters/O'Driscoll out of the team.

Indications were that Frederick's injury wasn't severe and would be right for Rd 1. Frederick gives you more rotation through wing/half forward and I've selected Johnson ahead of Hughes just to have the extra option of pulling someone out from the midfield onto the wing (eg: O'meara, Brayshaw if he's getting a hard tag). Switkowski might go in for one or two clearances as well.

St Kilda want to be a running team so don't go in too tall in the forward half. Darcy will swap with Jackson at times, especially as Marshall looks in good form from his numbers in todays pre-season game vs Essendon - not so much in hitouts but 19 contested possession, 7 marks, 4 contested marks, 9 intercepts, 5 inside 50's, 24 disposals - impressive numbers for any ruckman assuming he went head to head with Draper.

Having a the 3rd hulking tall might be too top heavy and just play into their hands and allow for too much rebound. Battle leading their intercepts and Wanganeen-Milera leading their kicks and metres gained. Line-ball for me between Tabs and Treacy, but obviously Tabs has got the experience. We have to have that intense forward pressure. Fyfe, Jackson, Taberner play as the 3 talls that don't get outmarked and Sturt, Frederick are forwards who are smart enough to find a hole to lead into or can get their defenders in a one on one contest over the back.

Ryan. Young and Chapman and Walker to a certain extent play tall and small which may be an advantage on their smalls - so no need for Wilson. Hughes as a versatile emergency. Didn't think Walker was as bad as expected from reading the match day comments vs Port when I watched the replay and just has that extra closing speed we need along with Clark back there.

Last edited:
I don't remember Hughes playing on the wing much at all over the last two games but he was solid down back. All of our half backs surged deep into the middle when we won the ball though.

If Hughes could lock away the opposition's most dangerous forward I would pick him over Walker and Wilson for that last spot in defence. Personally I think we have enough run and drive covered in Young, Chapman and Clark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back