Preview 2024 AFLM Round One: Fremantle versus Brisbane (Sunday 17/3)

Remove this Banner Ad

They've got some pretty significant outs with Neale, Coleman and Payne.
What's the consensus for the best guy on Charlie? I reckon only Clark has the pace to go with him but we need him attacking. Would have loved Walker to be playing.
I'd put Aish on him. He won't match him for pace but he's pretty experienced and crafty himself. Leave Clark to run.

Treacy is a good back up ruck no dramas there.

Worner though. This guy is lost at sea at AFL level.
I reckon the backup ruck will be McDonald.
Will look like this.
Rotation 1. Ruck. Jackson, CHF Cox, CHB McDonald.
Rotation 2 Ruck McDonald. CHF Jackson. CHB Cox.
Rotation 3 Ruck McDonald CHB Cox CHF Treacy. (Bench Jackson).

I like the team (and not only because it's the exact team I predicted except Worner for JOM) :)
I think the Cox/McDonald combo gives a lot of flexibility, either can swing forward or back and OMac can even pinch hit in the ruck along with Treacy
It's going to be good fun

I think Cox will try to play on Andrews.
Interestingly Brisbane would appear to have only one genuine tall defender outside of Andrews in the team. If Cox could nulify Andrews it would allow Amiss to play on Gardener and Treacy/Jackson to play on the 192cm Lester who I thinks more of a flanker type from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey dockers

How important is O’meara these days for you?

Our midfield a bit light on without neale and ashcoft anyway

I suspect gardiner gets amiss - will be a decent challenge but he was good when moved back on to a hot curnow last week. Can play relatively tall just struggles with a resting ruck type. Lester in a similar boat, plays the 195cm types okay. Andrews would get jackson if resting forward.

The two games we struggled over there (last year just won and was it 2022 we lost?) we got smashed for run. Hence i think we have gone a bit smaller.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we started quite well, given we played opening round and have done a bit of soul searching since

But equally i’d be worried we could be a bit mentally fragile after a close gf loss and last week’s debacle. Footy, eh?

I’d assume pearce to daniher? Tough match-up for joe. Would need to get on his bike. Mcdonald to hipwood? Cameron? He kicked terribly last week but was decent against a good opponent but you know what they say about bad kicking.

I got on the dockers at $2.90 at the start of the week. Very wary of them at home. Serong and Brayshaw are awesome. Fyfe seems to be back to at least a good player too.

Is the ground pretty shady by 350pm?

Hey dockers

Our midfield a bit light on without neale and ashcoft anyway

I suspect gardiner gets amiss - will be a decent challenge but he was good when moved back on to a hot curnow last week. Can play relatively tall just struggles with a resting ruck type. Lester in a similar boat, plays the 195cm types okay. Andrews would get jackson if resting forward.

The two games we struggled over there (last year just won and was it 2022 we lost?) we got smashed for run. Hence i think we have gone a bit smaller.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we started quite well, given we played opening round and have done a bit of soul searching since

But equally i’d be worried we could be a bit mentally fragile after a close gf loss and last week’s debacle. Footy, eh?

I’d assume pearce to daniher? Tough match-up for joe. Would need to get on his bike. Mcdonald to hipwood? Cameron? He kicked terribly last week but was decent against a good opponent but you know what they say about bad kicking.

I got on the dockers at $2.90 at the start of the week. Very wary of them at home. Serong and Brayshaw are awesome. Fyfe seems to be back to at least a good player too.

Is the ground pretty shady by 350pm?
Jaeger isn't as important with Fyfe in the team. He had to go in (with Switta) at times to rescue Serong and Brayshaw in the midfield last year but we have other options now

Stunned that Will Brodie continues to be the emergency. Must have been this at Gold Coast so many times and starting to be a trend at Fremantle. Doesn’t get to play all weekend unless lower grade is after and in town. Like Young’s addition to the middle so makes it tough. Then expected to come in and fire straight away, but that’s the given and expected of fringe players. Others like O’Meara seem to get a lot more leniency for s**t games.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Stunned that Will Brodie continues to be the emergency. Must have been this at Gold Coast so many times and starting to be a trend at Fremantle. Doesn’t get to play all weekend unless lower grade is after and in town. Like Young’s addition to the middle so makes it tough. Then expected to come in and fire straight away, but that’s the given and expected of fringe players. Others like O’Meara seem to get a lot more leniency for s**t games.

Yeah. Don’t understand how JOM continues to get games over Brodie

I would assume it’s his flexibility to go to the wing and forward which Brodie does not possess.

We will get killed at the source all year which is Brodies bread and butter and he will still play at Peel… seems well on the outer.

Flexibility. JOM can play outside or on the wing, but Brodie is inside only.

Fairly unimportant. He's viewed as best 22 by the coach and in theory he's good enough to be and is pretty decent at most things (obvs lost that burst since the patella stuff though), but he's not really elite at anything so we're not losing a vital contributor, and if anything are removing a selection headache. I'd have thought he would've been turned into a fwd-mid a bit like what happened in his last year at Hawthorn and to Taylor Adams last year, but in the practice matches that didn't really happen - he played a lot of wing vs West Coast where he was decent, and I think played a similar role vs Port where he was bad (not a good day for wingers in general tho coz we couldn't get the ball out of d50).
Yeah Pearce to Daniher and McDonald to Hipwood I'd expect. Cameron is a bigger question mark: Clark went to him last time and did ok, and he'd probably still be our best matchup but for the fact that Clark's now expected to be our biggest rebounder now that Young is a mid and Wagner is out. With that in mind, would probably expect Aish to get the job on Cameron coz he's got the experience and probably is the best body type even if Cameron would get him for speed (wouldn't be wholly unsurprised if Hughes gets the job, shouldn't be Ryan coz we want him a bit freer and definitely shouldn't be Worner).

Flexibility. JOM can play outside or on the wing, but Brodie is inside only.
Yeah but why can’t Brodie play his role that he’s really good at and more versatile players do the more versatile stuff like in his first season with us?

I’d rather have someone who is elite at one role and only performs that role than someone who is bang average at multiple roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back