Autopsy 2023 Rd 4 Tall Timber Too Good for Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Roos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Game was turned on its head when Doc went into the middle during the 3rd.

Defensive pressure through the middle of the ground was non-existent for the majority of the game.

Their ability to block, take an opponent's run, protect the team mate extracting the ball and working the angles to find an open player was good. Hopefully Voss points that out to the group.

I want my Kennedy, Walsh & Acres back!!!

Not the worst performance & happy to be undefeated, but we'll get smashed if we bring that sort of effort next week.
Hewitt can’t run and if he’s not getting his hands on the ball like the last two weeks he’s a real liability. It’s a good positive for the side that he probably should be dropped. We don’t need to carry consecutive down performances from any mid any more. I love him. He’s just out of form and his lack of run is hurting right now.

I think the knocks on LOB last night were mostly unfair.

One of few to match Roos physicality early on and competed well. Also had a few less than stellar moments. Fair to middling game.

Scrappy, contested game style did not play to his strengths...we were able to see some deft passes when the game opened up a bit.
I've never seen a player look less like he is part of a team than Lachie Obrien..........possibly since Cain Acland..........and I don't mean his skills.......even when he is congratulating other players for goals he just seems to have this look of uncertainty and a haunted look in the eyes...........it's brutal to watch

Last edited:
Pretty much … the conspiracy theorist in me thinks the AFL head honchos have instructed the umpires to give us the rub because we are their darling now memberships through the roof, attendances through the roof.

That free last week to give us back the lead in the last was embarrassing. Still think we would have won but sheesh it took any gloss of a win off. Imaging winning a final like that!
The dissent one was a shocker, but came 2 seconds after H was dragged down without the ball.

If there a conspiracy to help us out, why wasn’t Charlie given his 3 blatant frees in the goal square against the Tiges?

Am I the only one who thinks Fisher's game was kind of overrated?

Don't get me wrong, I love Fish and want him to do well and all. I want all the boys to do well.

28 disposals may look nice on paper.
But it was also 20 uncontested possessions and 19 handballs.

Of these 28 disposals, only 3 were involved in a scoring chain. He only delivered 3 times inside 50. Not to mention he did not lay a single tackle.

Try not to be fooled by numbers. It's one thing to get the stats and do it across the entire game. It's another thing to ensure stats do damage.
I deadset thought he was terrible in the first half and wonder how much better we'd be if we had a player as busy as him but with better composure.

Pretty much … the conspiracy theorist in me thinks the AFL head honchos have instructed the umpires to give us the rub because we are their darling now memberships through the roof, attendances through the roof.

That free last week to give us back the lead in the last was embarrassing. Still think we would of won but sheesh it took any gloss of a win off. Imaging winning a final like that!

No one actually knows what Cognilio said or how aggressive...on the limited vision we had it did look like he was pretty angry...think it's fine.

Lol you don't actually believe the AFL have instructed umps to give us favourable calls do you? Plenty of games where we've felt like we were on the wrong side. You win some, you lose some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but it was a great place to watch Harry Madden burst out of the middle, take a bounce and drill the goal from 50 in a final.
and buzza's goty in I think 81? was right behind it when he tackled geelong's nankervis in the pocket............and sticks' goal after the siren against north to put us on top and give us a week's rest in the last game of 87.........

Best game I ever saw there was final round in 87 against North. Sticks kicking the winning goal after the siren to secure top spot on the ladder from Hawthorn.
bang - was there - and with 2 other live matches being played at the same time (remember that) all shaping the final 5 (?) it was exhilarating to say the least

And Cunnington 🙏
got dragged yesterday for his crap clearance work - would also need to come across sometime in a mid-season draft period - and would still have to force his way into a strong midfield - but him and doc in the same team would be fabulous..........

I deadset thought he was terrible in the first half and wonder how much better we'd be if we had a player as busy as him but with better composure.

Something is up with slippery Fish, he was shaping to be that player a few years ago.

Still, I think we need his productivity off half forward flank. I hope it is only confidence, and hopefully the composure will come (or return).

But but but the umpires.

Seriously though, if you look at all those frees in isolation they were all there.

Did Ziebell grab Curnow by the legs as he was trying to get up without the ball? Yes

Did Bonar whack Curnow over the shoulder in a marking contest? Yes

Did MacDonald drag Curnow to ground when he didn't have the ball? Yes

What do these people want, umpires to just not pay clear free kicks because Norf? They should be mad at both their players up field for letting Carlton comfortably go end to end and kick it deep inside 50 causing their defenders to panic and give away frees.

Sooking about umpiring and not giving the winning team credit is the biggest sign of a sore, sooky loser. I'm not surprised it's North fans sooking as they are a loser club. Seriously they have some weird persecution complex.
all true but we've been there as well..........for too long..........

No one actually knows what Cognilio said or how aggressive...on the limited vision we had it did look like he was pretty angry...think it's fine.

Lol you don't actually believe the AFL have instructed umps to give us favourable calls do you? Plenty of games where we've felt like we were on the wrong side. You win some, you lose some.

After watching us get screwed over by the umps for what felt like 20 years, I have no qualms in accepting every single soft free kick we get now.

I felt we got the rub of the green yesterday and got 2 goals for dubious free kicks yesterday whereas North lost a goal or 2. Not complaining but calling a spade a spade
what if the damn thing turns out to be a shovel? what then?

As a LOB fan I couldn't support him yesterday. If you're an outside player you have to make your disposals count and he just didn't. Missed really simple ones too. No way to keep him in the team if he keeps that up. He is another endurance machine which does help out game plan but he has to be better than that.
Said almost the same thing last night.

I've backed him previously but last night I just couldn't any longer. It's a shame because I really wanted him to succeed.

His inability to compete when the ball is in dispute is just not good enough. Combine that with poor kicking and I'd guess he loses his spot when other wing options are available.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That free last week to give us back the lead in the last was embarrassing. Still think we would of won but sheesh it took any gloss of a win off. Imaging winning a final like that!
It was embarrassing that Cogs continually disputed calls so often that the umpire could no longer give him the benefit of the doubt.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

For a Coleman medallist in his 8th year of footy he really needs to get better shooting at goal from the left side of the field. It will cost us eventually.

Everything else in his game is great and at an elite level. Goal kicking from right side, marking, running, tackling...should spend 80% of his time at training practising left side of the field shots at goal.
he fanangled that one from the left side yesterday but other teams won't give him the same time to drop the ball, fish around for it, set-up a card table, have a few rounds of rummy, put his smoke out, make a quick call to his mum, pack it all up and snap that goal..........

Back