Collingwood v Brisbane - Move to the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

pz5151

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood v Sydney yesterday in poor weather drew over 71,000. In Round 23 this year, Collingwood is scheduled to play the Lions at Marvel. There are only 2 games scheduled in the round at the MCG and 3 at Marvel. Surely it makes sense to move this one to the MCG and push to break the home and away record crowd for a game against an interstate team. Two teams pushing for a flag. If the AFL is going to push Geelong about maximising attendances to play their home games against Collingwood at the MCG, surely Collingwood should play at their actual home ground when otherwise 30k plus will miss out on attending this game.

Collingwood have a contract with Marvel. They want to play the game there.
I assume that Craig Kelly and Jeff Browne would agree with me that we'd rather be playing our upcoming game against the Giants at Marvel than the Rd 23 game against Brisbane

Might’ve been 2017 or 2018 when the Tigs played the Lions at the MCG in the last round, and drew something like 76k. If these two sides are vying for a top 4 spot this year, I can see it surpassing that crowd if played at the MCG. You’d think the AFL would want to maximise their $$$

Might’ve been 2017 or 2018 when the Tigs played the Lions at the MCG in the last round, and drew something like 76k. If these two sides are vying for a top 4 spot this year, I can see it surpassing that crowd if played at the MCG. You’d think the AFL would want to maximise their $$$
Imagine if its the difference between 1st and 2nd. To decide the minor premier. Would be a massive game.

Collingwood v Sydney yesterday in poor weather drew over 71,000. In Round 23 this year, Collingwood is scheduled to play the Lions at Marvel. There are only 2 games scheduled in the round at the MCG and 3 at Marvel. Surely it makes sense to move this one to the MCG and push to break the home and away record crowd for a game against an interstate team. Two teams pushing for a flag. If the AFL is going to push Geelong about maximising attendances to play their home games against Collingwood at the MCG, surely Collingwood should play at their actual home ground when otherwise 30k plus will miss out on attending this game.
Is a weird one, someone had to have made a mistake especially after both teams were in prelims.

Pointless discussion because this is literally never done, contracts etc. etc. move on...
AFL owns marvel now, should be able to do what they want if mcg is free, swapping a game might be difficult.

Round 23, 2019

Collingwood have a contract with Marvel. They want to play the game there.
I’ve never heard of there being a contract with Marvel. I thought Collingwood wanted all their home games at the G. Can you provide a link to a reference to this contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixture is pretty set in stone, I can't ever remember a game being moved to a bigger ground due to higher ground capacity? I remember calls for St. Kilda v Geelong Round 14 2019 to get moved to the G, if that game didn't get moved then this one definielty won't.

I’ve never heard of there being a contract with Marvel. I thought Collingwood wanted all their home games at the G. Can you provide a link to a reference to this contract?

From the last time Collingwood tried to get a match moved. Seems to be some confusion.

Fixture is pretty set in stone, I can't ever remember a game being moved to a bigger ground due to higher ground capacity? I remember calls for St. Kilda v Geelong Round 14 2019 to get moved to the G, if that game didn't get moved then this one definielty won't.
They did it ALL the time back in the late 80s and early 90s

This would get 80,000 at the MCG but whatevs, play it at that disgusting Docklands stadium if you must

The league simply has to get better at this type of thing.

The game is flying at the moment and Collingwood is doing a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to Attendances. Collingwood vs Carlton is now a sell out in round 10 too.

Just move the game. Could be huge ramifications on the final ladder. Home finals, top 4 etc etc.

They could comfortably get 85k on a Friday night.

Collingwood play Fremantle in round 18 with no confirmed timeslot yet. Switch that game to Marvel and the Lions game to the G.

That article is from 14 years ago!
Felt appropriate given its the same circumstances.

Collingwood have played 2 home games at Docklands like clockwork since 2007. Whatever deal Gill and Vlad were talking about is very likely to still be in place - and if it isn't, Collingwood hasn't made any big waves about getting those games moved back to the MCG.

Collingwood have played 2 home games at Docklands like clockwork since 2007. Whatever deal Gill and Vlad were talking about is very likely to still be in place - and if it isn't, Collingwood hasn't made any big waves about getting those games moved back to the MCG.
I always thought that was at the AFL’s insistence since Richmond, with their on record hatred of Docklands, also play home games there.

If Collingwood have done a deal there that would be pretty infuriating and stupid frankly. Not denying you may be right though. I’d just like to see some confirmation of this more recently. Since the AFL owns the stadium now that should also change the situation as there is no third party to complain of a possible contract breach.

Realistically, their two games at Marvel should be against GWS and Gold Coast. Even if one of those teams were traveling as well as the Lions (which of course actually have a supporter base down here), we wouldn’t be having a discussion about moving the game to the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back