Review Dogs down Blues 79-59

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton are proof that a team of champions <<< a champion team.

Coleman medals, Brownlow medals, number 1 draft picks, brown paper bags, they've got them all. They just can't win many games.
Dow and O'Brien didn't come on so they had salary cap room set aside for those extensions. But in the sense of entitlement and lack of understanding the salary cap, they go out and put all that money into recruiting big names - Martin, Saad, Williams and paying overs for Cripps, Curnow and Mckay. Instead of spreading the money around in incremental recruits from other clubs, extending young players for longer, and spreading it around with bigger performance bonuses. Like how successful clubs do it. Rather than the shiny new toy.

It's like if you find $50 in an old jacket. Smart move is to use it to buy a six pack, some snags and invite a mate around for a barbie and make use of the money. Dumb blokes buy a case of imported beer that they stick in the garage and forget about.

Liam Jones is criminally underrated in relation to his impact on the backline IMO. The 1% when it counts

I was quite negative last week with our fade out v GWS and while it was disappointing to give up another lead, you just have to be happy with the fight back. I didn’t think they had it in them.

English was a bit disappointing but was great in that last 10 mins.

Think we are in safe hands at the draft with Milesi if Arty Jones is the type of player he can identify.

Ed Richards won’t get the credit in the media but he was best on for mine.

I think we’d all agree we have another gear or two, but another win next week would be huge for our season.
For those who watched the whole game I was intrigued to see that Richards had about 20 possessions before HT but only finished with 25 for the match. Clearly he was very dominant early but what happened after HT? Did he fade? Was he tagged? Was this one of the reasons Carlton started to get back into the game, by somehow quelling Ed?

I’m really liking the talls and shorts forward line combination. If we arent marking it we are looking dangerous when it hits the deck..jones has made a massive difference to the forward line.
What game were you watching? That only happened in the last 15 minutes of the game, for 80% of the night, the ball was coming out of our forward line like a leaking pipe

For those who watched the whole game I was intrigued to see that Richards had about 20 possessions before HT but only finished with 25 for the match. Clearly he was very dominant early but what happened after HT? Did he fade? Was he tagged? Was this one of the reasons Carlton started to get back into the game, by somehow quelling Ed?
I think it was more to do with the shift in how the game was played, first half was all off half back. Red, Dale & JJ must have combined for 50 odd first half touches. Carlton’s entries improved and they finished off a little more inside 50 which meant the opportunities off half back dried up, plus our midfield got more involved on the spread which was left mainly to our half backs in the first half.

I thought Red was influential in the 2nd half too, but probably more defensively than offensively. He is some sort of player and I can see why people don’t want to move him from defence, although I’m still interested in knowing what he’s capable of if he was unleashed in the CBs. He is just so good in the contest

Fair bit to take out of that game.

Dale, Richards and JJ (what a waste the last few years have been, wish he never played forward) did what every good rebounding defender does. Dale underrated defensively in the air.

Smith is Treloar with a mullet, as soon as he got inside minutes he showed just how good he can be.

So nice to win without Macrae or Bontempelli having to dominate. Can’t remember the last time we did that. Macrae 68% TOG too, which is odd.

Tom Liberatore is just a star. I can’t recall a player who does what he does. Unbelievable on the inside.

Probably gonna score some 👎, but that was a rubbish performance.

Our trend of poor games is getting worst over the last few weeks. Luckily for us, we played an even worst performing team.

We play a Melb, or Pies or Cats right now and we’re losing by plenty.

Bank the win and hope to an atheist god we start improving.

I'm in Thailand on holiday and got to admit I almost put the Chang beer through the laptop and think the other guests didnt appreciate my rants, especially when bailey dale had that horrific kick in when we were under the pump that was turned over for a goal.

But whilst our team this year doesn't strike me as one of the top 4 teams, I love that we are finding ways to win when gone for all money on multiple occasions this yeat. Shows me that the players are invested and giving their all. We rare finals bound, with a list full of talent, if we can stop these dreaded run ons and improve our forward structures, we might just surprise some good teams along the way.

Bring on the crow bots

What game were you watching? That only happened in the last 15 minutes of the game, for 80% of the night, the ball was coming out of our forward line like a leaking pipe
Quite a few of the goals Carlton got in the 3rd were from turnovers in our forward half when we were looking like scoring.

Nightmares of the first few rounds. Coach killer stuff.

If AJ doesn’t get the rising star nomination this week, I’m sacrificing a baby lamb to Satan.

2 goal assists
6 score involvements
14 possessions at 86%, 7 contested
5 tackles
22 pressure acts (equal 5th)
Last quarter influence off the charts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes you gotta win ugly and at 6-3 with 6 from the last 7 we're doing pretty well.

If you told me we would be 6-3 after the Saints bashing I would have told you to up your meds.

Love the fightback after we were headed. Not so long ago we would've rolled over and took it up the tailpipe after being challenged like that. Nice.

Arty Jones... star. Lobby did some nice things as well and Ed was super so was Jones and the backline as a group stood up beautifully.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant because that was a Carlton intraclub wasn't it? At least that's what I assumed from the radio and TV commentary. Carlton were just playing among themselves, right?

Thank god for traffic on the Monash in late 2017.
Carlton interviewed Ed but he was late to the meeting and they passed over him for O'Brien.

Idiots like me questioned why we targeted a KPD in Naughton (with a dodgy field kick) when we had the likes of Talia and Hamling on our list
We had neither in 2017.

But either way, cheers Carlton - they just keep giving 😂

Went to the game with my Carlton supporting cousin tonight. First time at a game in Melb (she’s lived her whole life in South Aus until this year- poor thing). She brought herself a Carlton beanie and scarf to be offical, had to ask me “who the guys in purple are and why are they on the field?” and “that #35 for you guys - he looks quite small or am I seeing things?” But she found a non-Carlton player to like and I think she chose well - Artie Jones, you won her over very quickly 👏🏻👏🏻

Sometimes you gotta win ugly and at 6-3 with 6 from the last 7 we're doing pretty well.

If you told me we would be 6-3 after the Saints bashing I would have told you to up your meds.

Love the fightback after we were headed. Not so long ago we would've rolled over and took it up the tailpipe after being challenged like that. Nice.

Arty Jones... star. Lobby did some nice things as well and Ed was super so was Jones and the backline as a group stood up beautifully.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant because that was a Carlton intraclub wasn't it? At least that's what I assumed from the radio and TV commentary. Carlton were just playing among themselves, right?
Liked how they were having a cry about Liam scragging McKay off the ball. Like that never happens to our forwards :rolleyes:

Seriously Bevo, stop faking around with this team on big games. Debut’s a kid who has played 3 games in the backline of the reserves, never played forward, so he plays him in the forward line, the guy was a deer in headlights all game and late in the game Curnow was the only likely forward on the ground to be a match winner, he has Keith on him, instead of Jones. *ing pissed off but super happy with the win. Arthur Jones/Jamarra and Scott won us that game late. Keith is done and should’ve been dropped for young O’Donnell to play third tall defender.

Just because many people regularly criticise Keath on this forum doesn’t mean they have a clue.

Keath deserves a lot more credit for all the good things he does, and should get cut a bit more slack for his occasional mistakes.

The backline held a forward line with two of the most powerful forwards in the game to a pretty low score despite them getting plenty of supply. Sure their poor kicking helped a bit but they didn’t have a lot of easy set shots. Give some credit where it is due.

Carlton were under enormous pressure all week, had a home crowd supporting them and had their season on the line. They came to play but we held them out for a really important win. We should enjoy it.

Even though O’Donnell didn’t get much of it as the game worked out, nor was he a liability who made costly mistakes. I think he showed he has plenty of potential before being subbed, which I think was the right call from a structural perspective. However James is also obviously pretty raw and had he been matched up on either of Curnow or McKay they would likely have had a field day on him.

If AJ doesn’t get the rising star nomination this week, I’m sacrificing a baby lamb to Satan.

2 goal assists
6 score involvements
14 possessions at 86%, 7 contested
5 tackles
22 pressure acts (equal 5th)
Last quarter influence off the charts

He must've been close last week too. Hope it is the week.

Bailey Humphrey looks to be the main challenger this week. 20 touches and a goal last night, was pretty impressive.

May be in the minority here but I didn’t think Keath was that bad at all to be honest.

Not many clubs are going to keep Carlton to one goal in a half from that many inside 50s. Sure, they did it to themselves a bit, but our back six is playing supremely good football right now.

May be in the minority here but I didn’t think Keath was that bad at all to be honest.

Not many clubs are going to keep Carlton to one goal in a half from that many inside 50s. Sure, they did it to themselves a bit, but our back six is playing supremely good football right now.
Keath is still contributing defensively and his intercept game is currently strong. Any time the ball is in his hand it’s an absolute nightmare. Roll of the dice if we retain possession.

Yep. A few mistakes when directly near the ball, but indirectly must be doing something right in positioning and reading the play to keep an opposition defensive unit to yet another low score.

Plus, given that Gardner and Jones both aren't great ball users (and Bruce was so nervous risking was turnover in defence he always took the safest option), Keath want to run and carry and kick long direct to goal, which Jones and Gardner don't to and helps our ball movement a little.

Part of it was the Carlton restructure of their forwardline at half time, they shifted their talls higher up the ground and smalls deeper. Meant Richards, JJ etc had to play deeper in defence which restricted the ability to get up the field

English and Bont have been well talked up about their All Australian prospects. I think Ed Richards has catapulted himself into these discussions as well. His season has been as good as any other medium defender in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back