Autopsy 2023 Rd 11 It's Groundhog Day ... again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Swans in Round 11?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently we can only cancel our membership in a few week window before it rolls over again. I need to switch off the roll-over function somehow.

I pay for 3 memberships and see no football where I am. They just don't give back.
You are better off not going to the footy. Impacts me and my kids negatively for days after we attend.

We are the worst side in setting up to keep the ball in our forward line.
We are the worst side in kicking the ball into our F50.
We are the worst side in crumbing in our forward line.
We are the worst side at kicking for goal.
We are the worst side in pressuring and tackling.
We are the worst side in creating space for each other. We refuse to try and create space - all over the ground.
We are the worst side in disposing the ball.
We are the worst side in defending 1 v 1.
We are the worst side playing for each other.
We are the worst side in clearances and setup for a centre bounce.
We are a bunch of individuals.

I won’t even highlight the embarrassing trading of 3 main players from tonight’s team or the centre clearance setups or the frustrating line ups of certain players being played out of position or others not played at all to stroke someone’s ego.

Last edited:

Apparently we can only cancel our membership in a few week window before it rolls over again. I need to switch off the roll-over function somehow.

I pay for 3 memberships and see no football where I am. They just don't give back.
Wow. I've been a member for years and untill recently went pretty much every week with my Daughter, but with a new job and my Daughters work and Uni stuff we haven't been to more than 1 or 2 games a year. But no matter how bad they are going I will always renew my membership. ALWAYS.
CFC for life

I won't forget the amount of flak that I and others who critique have copped over time, when we've questioned culture, coach, expressed how unimpressive certain wins were, been critical of "star" players etc. Almost like we were questioned whether we were "real supporters". I've been a member for all but the first 6 years of my life. I've barely missed attending a Melbourne match in 30 years and same goes for watching (on telly) interstate games. I'm certain that level of commitment is a lot more than 99% of people in here.

My view is that those who show blind faith (and I fear there are some within the Club's walls), who don't question culture, coach or players are the most damaging people for the Club.
Blind faith, blind hate, much of a muchness.

Holding people "accountable" has never been our issue as a footy club. We're always holding our coaches accountable. How's that worked out?

Is it players, is it the coach, who knows? It all manifests as bad footy and tonight was a shocker. Can we work through it? Hell of a lot easier than starting from scratch again but I'll let the likes of Cook make that call.

I'm of the strong believe that we're lacking hardened, experienced players at the top end. Nothing against the likes of Doc, Cripps, Weiters - all brilliant footballers but the reality is they've each individually played in less than 50 games where the result actually meant something. You'd learn a crap load more playing 50 games at Geelong than 150 at the Blues over the same period.

My fear is that it's something we've got to work through it. Bit of a chicken or egg, but without the seasoned, experienced players who you can turn to when the game is on the line, we'll continue disappointing.

We can go back to chasing the next new coach high, but like any high, we run the risk of players being dependent on it. Lift for a season, drop off and chase the next hit.

We're in the grind right now, the sooner the players realise it's on them to improve this, the sooner we can grow as a footy club.

People might have a go at Kemp but I honestly feel bad for him. Always plays well in the 2s as an INTERCEPT defender yet every time he plays seniors Voss uses him as a lockdown. What's the point of rewarding form if you're gonna use them differently in the 1s. Same with TDK. Barely spent any time forward in the Williamstown game yet gets plonked in forward line for majority of tonight and produces nothing.

And our forward line is a joke. Getting out marked by a bunch of half backs and the smalls non-existent like they've been all year. TDK should play defender/ruck and McGovern forward

What might help McKay is maybe putting him in the opposition jumper for the match and taking set shots at the other end of the ground.

Chances are one or two of his attempts could very well find their way through the big sticks for us.

Wow. I've been a member for years and untill recently went pretty much every week with my Daughter, but with a new job and my Daughters work and Uni stuff we haven't been to more than 1 or 2 games a year. But no matter how bad they are going I will always renew my membership. ALWAYS.
CFC for life

Congrats on your new job Toady. I lost my career due to illness and am currently battling week to week. It's actually a luxury to have a membership for me.

I want the opportunity to see how they are going to address things. They have to earn my money.

In keeping in line with the thread title, watching Carlton each week is like stepping in this puddle every time and never learning...

****ing Ned Ryerson

We made Justin McInerney look like Peter Matera and Hayden McLean look like Corey McKernan. Carlton football club, take a bow…

Hope you’re right but if we lose by 20 something to a depleted Sydney defence, how are we going to fare against a strong Dees?

Unless we start connecting inside 50s to advantage instead of wasting bombing in hope, can’t see much improving.

Thinking it will be more. I'm expecting a loss similar to what Adelaide did to us

Was being sarcastic... We are well and truly ****ed next week. I'm thinking it'll be in the 45-60 point range

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holding people "accountable" has never been our issue as a footy club. We're always holding our coaches accountable. How's that worked out?

Is it players, is it the coach, who knows? It all manifests as bad footy and tonight was a shocker. Can we work through it? Hell of a lot easier than starting from scratch again but I'll let the likes of Cook make that call.

I'm of the strong believe that we're lacking hardened, experienced players at the top end. Nothing against the likes of Doc, Cripps, Weiters - all brilliant footballers but the reality is they've each individually played in less than 50 games where the result actually meant something. You'd learn a crap load more playing 50 games at Geelong than 150 at the Blues over the same period.

My fear is that it's something we've got to work through it. Bit of a chicken or egg, but without the seasoned, experienced players who you can turn to when the game is on the line, we'll continue disappointing.

We can go back to chasing the next new coach high, but like any high, we run the risk of players being dependent on it. Lift for a season, drop off and chase the next hit.

We're in the grind right now, the sooner the players realise it's on them to improve this, the sooner we can grow as a footy club.

Sticky this. A POTY contender.

I don't know if anyone can recall this but a few years ago If one of our boys was hit hard or roughed up Cripps would always be there remonstrating with whoever did it, flying the flag, letting the boys know he had their back. He hasn't done that for a while. I don't know whether that has been an instruction or he's decided to stop doing it in his own. But I think he needs to start doing it again, I mean not belting blokes or getting rubbed out just showing support for the boys, being a true tough leader.
Just my opinion, which by the way is always right.

Cannot agree more with you.

This is on the players to turn around. All above the shoulders

Just to be clear, there is no 'hate'. I love this Club, but I don't let (or try not to let) that cloud judgement. (There probably is hate towards the billionaire influencers and questionable characters, but not towards the Club itself).

As a Club we always hold someone accountable (generally the coach) but it never seems that we hold ourselves as a Club accountable (ie, the culture).

I agree with your points though. There is not one single issue at play - it has to be a raft of issues. We're in a better position to turn it around in terms of our list now than we have been at any other time in the past 20 years, so I haven't lost hope.

You are better off not going to the footy. Impacts me and my kids negatively for days after we attend.

I used to agree with that early on after moving up here.

These days I miss the group of mates I had where I'd be able to attend their club's games with them and get a fix of footy so even when we played like crap it'd be bearable.

Being 2000km away and being a ride and die Carlton fan trying to support the club is absolutely miserable.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new job Toady. I lost my career due to illness and am currently battling week to week. It's actually a luxury to have a membership for me.

I want the opportunity to see how they are going to address things. They have to earn my money.
My apologies mate. My post wasn't directed at you. It's just that they're a lot of peeps on here saying that they're going to stop being members etc, etc.
It was just a general post directed at all, not just you mate.

Charlie and Harry kicked 100 between them last year… what’s different this year, can you remember the last time either of them were hit, lace out on the chest? I can’t.

It’s the game plan.
Harry had his teeth knocked out a couple times tonight .. but agree there is no fwd movement small all flat footed ball hits ground balls goes up other end

Back