Autopsy 2023 Rd 13 Another loss. Devoid of headline material

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a lot of negativity in the air here tonight- we only lost by 34 points - we tidy up our kicking for goal and we’ll solve a lot of these issues- a bit of scoreboard pressure can put a whole different complexion on things.
I am feeling malnourished.

I cant see how this improves without a circuit breaker.

Voss goes, or he starts setting the example by dropping senior players and I mean top10 players.

Whats the go with pot shots from 70. Was that the new gameplan?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I cannot stand to see our players having a laugh with opposition players after a game like that. Especially hate when it's our captain. I just want them to feel some slight disappointment like we do.

He won a Brownlow last year. One of my favourite players but I think his time has come.
Players these days dont feel the pain of defeat as the fans do. Lets face it, its their job, its what they do, they are professionals, they dont have the lifelong emotional attachment that fans do with their own teams. Darcy Moores beat mate plays for another club. Most of the players, are good mates with each other, from all clubs. Many players as kids, barracked for other teams, than the one they now play for. Nick Daicos, believe it or not, was one eyed Carlton. Ive seen our guys chatting and smiling with the winners post game, its how players roll these days, in the good old days it was different, plyers had other jobs, footy was a pastime, now the game is so totally professional, and they are extremely well paid.

33 tackles to 64 when the disposals were fairly close says a hell of a lot about where we're at IMO
You don't win football matches by playing them in a phonebox.

Our defensive spread and overlap run is absolutely non existent. Stagnant movement up the ground when we have possession so we're forced to kick long. Handballing to players who run straight into roadblocks.

It happens week after week, and we are getting dissected by opposition coaches who can easily counter our 'gameplan' just by weathering any storm we throw at them for a quarter or two. We just have a totally defensive mindset with zero flair....seriously, how many of the top teams have a designated tagger these days - going into a game willing to sacrifice a player and leave yourself one short in the midfield.

The reason there was such a discrepancy in the tackle count was because we make the ground 'smaller' so we can win contested ball with our bigger slower mids - something we were good at last year, but also means that your right there for the opposition to tackle, and the reason why Walsh is largely ineffective right now. Numbers at the ball. But once they got the turnover it was all run and spread - making the ground 'bigger', so impossible to lay a hand on them when they hit their targets.

I honestly have no idea what our game plan is.....except to try and slow it down when things are getting out of control....or bomb it to the big boys up forward and hope for the best. There is no recognisable game plan - even when you compare it to the supposedly lower teams like Hawthorn and North, who will give us windburn on the way through next year unless there are some serious changes. You cannot just wallpaper over the cracks that are getting bigger and bigger.

Last edited:

Carlton must back Voss. We can’t afford to kill another coach.

Brian Cook is a good operator and said earlier he guaranteed that Voss would coach until the end of next year but said we’d need changes in the football department.

Give the keys to Austin and Cook and see what happens.

Carlton can’t afford to do what Carlton does and find a scapegoat. Voss needs to be surrounded by better assistants, the midfield needs to be completely retooled for the modern game.
Has Brian Cook committed beyond 2024?

This won't be fixed in 18mths.

Lets see how committed Cook is to this. He has never been in this position before

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

I agree we need to back Voss, but as the season is over I would like to see things changed with selection.

See what the players that aren’t getting opportunities get a chance. Give Dow, Carrol and Fogarty three full games in a row to see if they can play at the level.
Agree. Binns as well. May as well start planning for next year at this rate.

Young - just not AFL standard. How the * you let a bloke continually run and jump at the ball unimpeded even in pack situations has me ****ed. Get him out

How? By having a functioning forward line and having players block for him. That's how you get your big forward free.

We've forgotten what that looks like because no one at Carlton does it since Eddie left.

Yes, Young played badly, but let's not pretend that 2MP got free on his own.

When was the last time Motlop blocked for Harry? He's usually running around the wing for cheap possession or try fly for the speckie.

We looked much better early when Martin had energy and was actually leading around the f50. That disappeared once he went off for a spell.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

My 10 yo son has lost interest. I tried for years and years . He doesn't care anymore. He has quit AFL and now walks around in soccer gear.
Another one lost because of poor results since his birth

My 10 year-old NYC born son who has never been to an AFL game (because we have visited summer down under) still wakes up early when he can for games. Woke up at 515am Sunday morning for todays (still for us) game with me and really had hope until the 3rd quarter collapse where we let them run and run and run riot. Not sure how much longer he will remain devoted - he’s been following since he was 4 and since then I’ve promised him finals in 2023 and he believed all these years as did I. Now we could be another 2-5 years from Finals and maybe even longer. The club will no longer be a top club in terms of supporter base if they don’t fix things this time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When Vossy was asked if he has lost the players last night in his presser he snickered and then remarked that he hasn't lost the playing group. That laugh was enough for me. He knows his cooked. If he isn't sacked by mid-week then I will be shocked. However, in saying that, I think the new coach will need to make some drastic changes to the list, we are a mentally weak group who turns on the coach any sign of things getting tough.

Right now Brian Cook would be thinking about withdrawing his request for more years at the helm.

It must be clear to him now we’re 100% BORKED!

Footage just in from Cook’s office with his extension request in hand….

Seth Meyers Shred GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

the days of heading to port melbourne and jumping into the ocean after a loss are over. these blokes will be sipping on lattes today, doing their podcasts and posting s**t on insta.

these guys don't know what battle scars really are let alone appreciate the word rivalry.

it a numbers game. build the hype, fill the seats and worry about the next week. something is seriously broken and a pivot is inevitable now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are at rock bottom. Unacceptable across the board is how I would put it. The fans are angry. The coaching group as a whole is devoid of ideas and sticking to a dog of a game plan. Players have lost all confidence. Football dept. needs desperate changes and is led by serial underperformers. Our CEO is seeing out his retirement nest egg booster contract and isn't here for the long term.The club is led by a President who spruiks himself as an up and coming business leader who in reality should be ending up in jail in the next 12 months for being basically corrupt. The old saying goes the fish rots from the head down and it's no different at the Carlton Football Club. After 56 years of loyal support, personally I am disillusioned that an institution that I love and have so many great memories of , has been hijacked by a pack of clowns.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

At the start of the year I convinced my 14 year old to get back into the footy. He used to be obsessed with the Blues but they just burned him so he totally moved to soccer.

He was getting into it but as the weeks rolled on all those painful feelings came flooding back and now he has zero interest again. It is just sad that this club is so broken that a lot of us will not have the joy of going to the football with our kids when we are older.

To be honest I am starting to hate the game as well now.

Coaches planning session;

“Vossy we need to change things up… it’s just not working”…

Voss: “no worries I hear ya! If you can all duck out and get me some nourishment I’ll have it all sorted by the time you return”

I heard “nourishment” dropped into last nights commenatry. No way that wasn’t in reference to Voss. 😂

Question.

Is it Voss that is contributing to this or is it the players just not having a good enough crack? There doesn’t seem to be much in terms of on field leadership, which is what is needed. Basically nobody has played in a final. You’ve extracted everything from Cripps and it can’t just be him getting the heat anymore.

I feel things could change very quickly with a tweak or two, just not sure how they find it.

* me we have some soft supporters

Yes this is is hard and ugly, but grow some balls. We have to keep working through this s**t because you just drown in it.

The list is a lot better than where we are atm. This season unfortunately is looking done, so let’s start on next year.
What are you talking about Soft? We've played like a bottom 4 side since round 2 and we have a list that should be contending. It's a ****ing disgrace. Only thing soft about this club is its performance on field.

Last edited:
Our setups are all wrong.
All over the ground we are either out positioned or siting in the wrong areas.
Our centre bounce lineups, our forward setups and our defensive match up or line ups. All wrong nothing is right. For instance, we must be one of the only teams that allows opposition to waltz out of our forward line, run through the middle and then find uncontested forwards at any time.
I’m not sure what the answer is or how it has become so wrong, but I can tell you, it’s setup, and we are getting pantsed in the coaches box.
The coaching is just so bad.
But it's ok.
Voss spoke well in his presser.:rolleyes:
Get him help now,
Or let him go ffs.

Oh, and Agro, your trolling has been refined to sublime heights.

If we ask nicely maybe they’ll let us merge with the new Tassie team.
Tassie Blues.
But why would we want to infect a shiny new team?
Have mercy.

Last edited:
By far the lowest and least interested I've felt in 34 years following this club and anyone my age or lower will tell you we've had nothing but lows that whole time.

Putting the cups on display last night means absolutely **** all to me and a couple of generations of supporters now. Sick of hearing about the glory days. We live so far in the past it translates to being so far behind in every part of the game every single year.

Cant see anything changing. In fact it's going backwards at a rate of knots.

Yes, the idea we’d have a game style which suits us and has buy in from players does seem far fetched under Voss.
The players designed the system, working with the coaching group.

I don't think Voss is entirely at fault, I put more on the senior players but I think he has to go, something has to give and it's hard to sack a player with a long contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back