Preview Geelong V Port Thu June 15 @ AO 710 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have bad memories of losing to Port in finals: Kolo started the rot in one of them with a trademark turnover, albeit it was a while ago now.

Hawkins had a queer game in one too - kept playing on after marking and missing the shot on goal.

Port have gun mids, and talls in form. We'll miss Esava for Dixon and don't underestimate Finlayson, though some here do. Big games from Bruhn, Bowes and Bews will help - remember the 'killer bees', Bruns, Bews, Barstow et al?

Accurate kicking for goal will go a long way to securing victory.

I have bad memories of losing to Port in finals: Kolo started the rot in one of them with a trademark turnover, albeit it was a while ago now.

Hawkins had a queer game in one too - kept playing on after marking and missing the shot on goal.

Port have gun mids, and talls in form. We'll miss Esava for Dixon and don't underestimate Finlayson, though some here do. Big games from Bruhn, Bowes and Bews will help - remember the 'killer bees', Bruns, Bews, Barstow et al?

My recent memory of Cats v Power over there was Hawk ragdolling their whole backline one game and Cameron running rings around Aliir in another 😀

We have had a good record in home and away there, but twice they have beaten us easily in finals.
Once was the dreaded 5.12 game, where we had 4 more scoring shots but lost by 16 points. In 2021 we were well and truly off kilter all finals series.

This week is like a final. More for us then them, admittedly, but Melbourne's win will have Port looking over their shoulder.

Port have the collection of talls I am most worried about.

I hope SDK can take his revenge on Dixon, but he has to play him smart with the size difference.

Kolo on Marshall and maybe J.Henry to Finlayson?

Bews to Rioli and then Z.Guthrie to Powell-Pepper. Z.Guthrie is due an assured game where he also locks down on an opponent. He's been a bit of an invisible presence the past 5 weeks.

Agreed on the last point. 15.10 and we can win. 10.15 and I doubt it.

Lol I think you might be wrong. Said months ago he's not going anywhere, and I honestly think he just wanted to do it quietly (given he's a big persona, but also not about the attention either) - because this article came out a month ago:

"Geelong has locked away promising big man Shannon Neale to a new multi-year deal in the latest contract boost for the Cats.
Neale, 20, has been out injured with an ankle problem but showed exciting signs over summer and late last year as a 203cm goal kicker.

Moneyball can reveal Geelong list boss Andrew Mackie, who signed up young star Sam De Koning and Tyson Stengle early in the year, has tied-up Neale until at least the end of 2025.

And talks are underway on a new contract for creative forward Gryan Miers after a strong start to the season helping set up a swath of goal kicking opportunities for twin towers Tom Hawkins and Jeremy Cameron."

As I've said before, if anyone needs any Geelong Addy, Herald Scum, or any other Murdoch nonsense, my partner's old librarian login still works - so can source any article. Just tag or message me whenever needed :)

Great work Shadow89 - so glad Neale has committed till end of 2025 :thumbsu:

Hmm, that journo said it in the presser when talking with Scott, so he got it wrong then.

I thought it sounded too good, considering we've lost a couple finals there recently.
He did.

It is a good thought. I think 3 changes max…not 100% on whether they hold back Duncan though - he is pretty critical. But with Bowes available and he game in adelaide I think you might be right

In Danger, Holmes and one of Bowes
Out: Mullin, O Henry/Knevitt (to sub), Ceglar

Simpson out of 23.

I was toying with Bruhn out but just think he gets another crack given how well they both played last week. I also toyed with managing 2E instead of Ceglar

I assume they name the team tonight? Heading off in the morning.

EDIT

having read the O Henry K Rock interview it might be that they leave him in to play wing and Knev becomes sub (which in my mind would be a bit stiff but team is going to be difficult to stay in from here)

I reckon O Henry is Best 22 in CS’s/MC minds. He’s kicked 18 goals at 1.6 per game. Not be sniffed at when he’s still working his way into our system. Kid has genuine X-factor.
That alone would shuffle Knevitt to sub.
But let’s face it. As we get numbers back, some serious AFL quality players will be missing out.
Of the newbies I think Bowes and O. Henry are locks. Bruhn is very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon O Henry is Best 22 in CS’s/MC minds. He’s kicked 18 goals at 1.6 per game. Not be sniffed at when he’s still working his way into our system. Kid has genuine X-factor.
But let’s face it. As we get numbers back, some serious AFL quality players will be missing out.

Nice problem to have….expectations (mine) will start to rise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That and we always play 7 forwards. Last season we rotated Smith there but we haven't had a full side to see if that's what we'd do again. I expect he may stay on the wing, along with Duncan so that Holmes has freedom to join the mids half the time.

With that logic, O.Henry would keep his spot.

That and we always play 7 forwards. Last season we rotated Smith there but we haven't had a full side to see if that's what we'd do again. I expect he may stay on the wing, along with Duncan so that Holmes has freedom to join the mids half the time.

With that logic, O.Henry would keep his spot.

I realise we are coming off a bye but I wonder whether Smith or Tuohy ( who have done a power of work of late) might be rested which would allow Knevitt to stay in the 22 after finding some good form?

Really think they’re vying for the same spot?
Not really as Duncan is a 🔒. Knevitt has been great but will only get games now due to injury.

I reckon this is a huge game for Zac Guthrie - i reckon his form this year has been iffy

Against Footcray - beaten pointless in a one on one marking contest against Simons son - result a goal

Ran over the ball like a novice - leaving Cody Weightman in the clear

Then did something that Parfitt would be proud of - got the ball in the clear - kicked it 60 metres in the air - nearly hit the roof - but the ball only went about 25 metres - and from memory the 2 Footscray players mucked it up - collided into each other - probably laughing too much

If Geel are to win - players like Z Guthrie cant make those shocking basic mistakes

I reckon this is a huge game for Zac Guthrie - i reckon his form this year has been iffy

Against Footcray - beaten pointless in a one on one marking contest against Simons son - result a goal

Then did something that Parfitt would be proud of - got the ball in the clear - kicked it 60 metres in the air - nearly hit the roof - but the ball only went about 25 metres - and from memory the 2 Footscray players mucked it up - collided into each other - probably laughing too much

If Geel are to win - players like Z Guthrie cant make those shocking basic mistakes
There is a rich history of the form our middle rung of players fluctuating in lockstep with the team’s.

It really is only the elite players of a team that are able to perform well even when the team is playing poorly or indifferently. I think that’s particularly so for defenders who tend to be under more pressure when the team is not going well.

So my view would be Zac falls squarely in that category. I haven’t seen him play well often against the odds. That’s not a huge knock; he’s just no star.

Having said that, I will also say that the club tends to stand by these players and back them in. I wouldn’t think his spot is under threat at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's out this week.

With the players likely back, I can see MOC pushed back & IMO he's a better match up for a Powell-Pepper.
Bews to Rioli. Stewart, Kolo, JHenry, SDK, with Tuohy, Bowes & Duncan rotating through there should be enough.
Form & lack of real match up could see him as one of the outs for this game.

Not really as Duncan is a 🔒. Knevitt has been great but will only get games now due to injury.

I agree with that but hes put himself in the box seat to grab a wing spot next year (i am assuming that smith will retire and menegola will move on).

I don’t see any need to rush Duncan back. I’d give him the Dangerfield 2022 treatment. Hold him back a few extra weeks and get him in better shape. He was not moving that well pre injury.

In: Danger, Holmes
Out: Mullin, O’Connor (sub)

Our ladder position might force their hand on that though.

There'd have to be 8+ players in the gun before O'Connor. He split the role on Bontempelli with Blicavs and they did it well. And when in defender this year he's been among our best back there.

Gotta drop bews or guthrie or tuohy then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back