Review Round 14, 2023 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

A very wise man in the 5AA radio broadcast said to the other very wise man in the 5AA broadcast:
"Good teams beat bad umpiring"

Not sure how many of you heard that, those at the game may have, those listening to the moribund TV commentary from east of our border may have missed this the same way noone living east of Bordertown has memories of the Mad Mouse, Don Dunstan and the day of the Glenelg Apocalypse, an Alan Shiell football article, Golden North Giant Twins or anything else of the like.

Warren and Tim rode that win with the same early frustration and late jubilation that I'd expect from a couple of 15 year olds sitting in the cheer squad after sneaking in a hip flask of brandavino and having the best days of their lives.

It was a pleasure to experience the game with them.
I just wish Warren understood the club better ....

How could I put anything in a review that is better than that comment.
So I won't even try.

Last edited:
Chris Scott has such an ability to come across as a sook in every losing press conference. Minimal credit to the opposition, sooked about injuries, basically blamed Dangerfield getting injured for the loss.

Went on a few times about how much better they were in the first half (where they had less I50s and less scoring shots).

Campaigner

And yet, totally missed by the commentators
Even after the game replay it was missed.

Was just about the play of the day amongst some great plays.

Our bottom 5-6 players have improved out of sight.

We now get such an even performance from them, we can count on them.. been long time since that’s happened.

And to watch Scott and his sooky voice at the presser topped the night off.

Hope the break doesn’t * up our momentum

Watched the game in the rah, mum had a stroke but I told her the power won and she knew it was Geelong and managed to say * them
My dad had one three weeks ago and spent time in the RAH, now in rehab at Hampstead. Your mum's in good hands there. My old boy can't talk at the minute, but if he could he'd be saying * the cats too!
All the best to your mum on her recovery!

A very wise man in the 5AA radio broadcast said to the other very wise man in the 5AA broadcast:
"Good teams beat bad umpiring"

Not sure how many of you heard that, those at the game may have, those listening to the moribund TV commentary from east of our border may have missed this the same way noone living east of Bordertown has memories of the Mad Mouse, Don Dunstan and the day of the Glenelg Apocalypse, an Alan Shiell football article, Golden North Giant Twins or anything else of the like.

Warren and Tim rode that win with the same early frustration and late jubilation that I'd expect from a couple of 15 year olds sitting in the cheer squad after sneaking in a hip flask of brandavino and having the best days of their lives.

It was a pleasure to experience the game with them.
I just wish Warren understood the club better ....

How could I put anything in a review that is better than that comment.
So I won't even try.
You wish Warren understood the club better? Are you mental, if it wasn't for him calling out the dud Hinkley and making him accountable in the media we'd still be where we've been for the last ten years.

Warren's a Champion of the club, Hinkley will NEVER be. Even if the unthinkable did happen and we win the flag, that's got Carr's name all over it and Hinkley gets credits only for giving high fives on the bench

You wish Warren understood the club better? Are you mental, if it wasn't for him calling out the dud Hinkley and making him accountable in the media we'd still be where we've been for the last ten years.

Warren's a Champion of the club, Hinkley will NEVER be. Even if the unthinkable did happen and we win the flag, that's got Carr's name all over it and Hinkley gets credits only for giving high fives on the bench
I could be wrong but I read that as clearly sarcastic. I think you both agree with each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was happy to go to the game and soak up the atmosphere, instead of being at home and reading the gameday thread, because some of those posts early on look embarrassing.

Watch philthy go straight to the draft and trading board 😂 gonna be burning the candle at both ends tonight me spinks

lol they legit banned me from there for pointing out they’re a pack of morons.

Just in the past few days there’s been these claims

• he will never be a top 10-15 player in a 22
  • he’s only a 3rd tall and they’re not worth much
  • he’s miles behind Trent rivers
  • I don’t think he will ever be a midfielder

******* vfl wankfest

Agreed, I still don't trust us either. Got to enjoy the streak we're on but I still see the dumb stuff, the clangers, the poor individual efforts that the best teams don't do and I think it'll bring us undone in the end, along with our shaky defense. Hope I'm wrong and we can stand up when it counts at the business end.
One thing I'm no longer hearing is, "We hope to put up a good performance." (or words to that effect) There now seems to be an expectation to win every time we take the field because of the myriad of weapons we have at our disposal, and that's a powerful position to be in.

Geelong skipper Patrick Dangerfield was taken to hospital after copping a heavy knock during the Cats’ 38-point loss to Port Adelaide on Thursday night. The 33-year-old played out the rest of the game after suffering a blow to his lower back/hip region in a collision with Dan Houston in the second quarter. The ABC reports Dangerfield was taken in an ambulance.

One thing I'm no longer hearing is, "We hope to put up a good performance." (or words to that effect) There now seems to be an expectation to win every time we take the field because of the myriad of weapons we have at our disposal, and that's a powerful position to be in.
I do hate our constant talking up of the opposition. Hinkley does this all the time. ******* Shits me.

Geelong skipper Patrick Dangerfield was taken to hospital after copping a heavy knock during the Cats’ 38-point loss to Port Adelaide on Thursday night. The 33-year-old played out the rest of the game after suffering a blow to his lower back/hip region in a collision with Dan Houston in the second quarter. The ABC reports Dangerfield was taken in an ambulance.
Yeah I was distressed at the time that he came back on. Sometimes the well-being of the player has to come before the team. It looked serious at the time.

I was happy to go to the game and soak up the atmosphere, instead of being at home and reading the gameday thread, because some of those posts early on look embarrassing.
Nah, I love the GD thread, it's just like being there when I can't be. Sure it's all emotional s**t-posting but that's the charm. Much prefer it to the commentary.

Dylan Williams is a perfect example of why I'd always rather put time into a super talent with fitness or application issues than a plodder who tries his best but isn't up to it.

Sam Hayes can still be the next Dylan Williams if he and the club want it enough. Although in fairness to Scooter he'll have to be prepared to wait his turn at the moment.

No. Think it is clear that we do not want a tap ruckman and there's nothing Sam can do about it. I hope he's at Essendon next year with his brother and he gets a chance there.

That win surprised me, nearly a 10 goal turnaround in our favour… unheard of. Not a lot I can say that hasn’t been already said but I’m extra happy for Narkle and loved when he grabbed the jumper after his first goal. Looked at our fixture and saw that after the bye we have Essendon, Gold Coast, Carlton and Collingwood. I’d say we’re likely to take the streak to 14 until we play Collingwood and then who knows where we go from there. Exciting times either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back