VFL VFL Round 14 v Swans - Saturday June 24th. 10:05am. @ AIA Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone pushing their case after today? Expected a "pick me" game from at least one of Kreuger or Ginnivan.
I'd say Jakob Ryan is the main offender to be pushing a case here. He'd be challenging Markov as his energy and workrate was . And Kreuger, when he was playing in the contested role, looked every bit at AFL standard. Provided he can get his body right. Whipping boy Bianco looked good, too.

Ginnivan wasn't remarkable. It was about on par with what Harvey Harrison produces when he plays VFL. Without the tackling intensity. I can see why he was picked over Ginnivan.

Might go out on a small limb and say that next season, I expect Steene to break out.

It’s a disgrace.

The outright sexism about the commentators making it even worse.

They were referred to as “these women” or “these chicks” .

If they were male it would be “these commentators” are crap. There’s no way they’d be called “these men”.

One particularly well known idiot even basically said there’s no place for women commentators apart from Sarah Jones. Sheesh
I’m a critic- they were completely out of their depth.
Lets not allow their gender to Insulate them from the criticism- they were just not upto it.
And BTW how can people be sexist if they like Kelly Underwood but not like these women.
As a general rule VFL commentators of both genders are bagged.

Seriously who gives a flying f about the vfl commentators. I’m glad the games get streamed every week… the quality of the commentary which is obviously on a shoestring budget will vary from game to game. Bigger things to worry and whinge about.

I'd like to see you provide some leadership on the issues that we should be whingeing about, timothy.....i think we lost our way today

Seriously who gives a flying f about the vfl commentators. I’m glad the games get streamed every week… the quality of the commentary which is obviously on a shoestring budget will vary from game to game. Bigger things to worry and whinge about.

Agree great they Stream every State League/VFL Game Now

Don't like the Commentators turn down the Audio or go to the Game

Lets not allow their gender to Insulate them from the criticism- they were just not upto it.
And BTW how can people be sexist if they like Kelly Underwood but not like these women.
As a general rule VFL commentators of both genders are bagged.
The nuance is beyond you.

I’m not saying they weren’t crap or biased. No doubt they were.

But highlighting their sex as being a reason “these chicks/women” is the issue.

If it was men it would be “these commentators”. If you can’t comprehend the difference then I can’t help you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree great they Stream every State League/VFL Game Now

Don't like the Commentators turn down the Audio or go to the Game
Agree - we are very lucky to have these games streamed. Brilliant innovation.
Not sure of their names but the main commentator was very good. Big tick.
However, the special comments person (Gemma ... I think ???) is terrible. Makes the game hard to watch
with non-stop commentary of highly intellectual "football" speak. None of it makes sense. Its simply not needed. Cover the main points of the game and stop trying to make yourself look smart. Its embarrassing.
For example, in the 1st qrt there was a strong breeze going down the Yarra side. Not one mention of it until midway through the 2nd qrt even though passes were bending like bananas and Swans players could barely make the distance from 30m shooting for goal. Unbelievable!!

Disagree with you here. They were just fine for me most of the time, in particular the main commentator, and tbh I would prefer them to several of the AFL callers like BT and Brayshaw.

i'd love to have just a clean audio feed of the crowd and the environment without any commentators. I've tried turning down the sound on a number of occasions and footy seems strange in absolute silence...but a clean feed would make it like I was live at the footy....They do it every so often in formula one for the rev heads....no commentating...

If it was men it would be “these commentators”. If you can’t comprehend the difference then I can’t help you.
Most female and male commentators are shite.
Shortened down to commentators will suffice.

Ginni has never really played well in the VFL though so not really surprised with his performance usually plays better in the AFL.
That’s not true. He kicked 13 goals in 4 weeks before being promoted to the AFL in his first year. He’s capable of dominating at the lower level, so let’s not pretend it’s a case of him needing better players around him.

24 disposals but was quiet to his standards. It's not really a case of how well he plays, more a matter of a space opening up for him in the AFL side and the stars aligning.
It is about how well he plays. He needs to be banging the door down so if an inside mid spot opens it won't see a reshuffle, but will see him coming in. I don't think that's the case at the moment.

Ok - that’s not unreasonable.

But I still think making it an issue about sexism/gender is just unnecessary political correctness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back