Game Day Pies v Hawthorn, 5 August, 4.35pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the by product of having virtually a healthy list and pressure for spots.

If you don’t perform you’re vulnerable.
Also apples to the guys in the twos…they also need to hold up their end of the bargain to force their way in.

This is the most balanced side we have selected to date this season.

Poor bloke picked a bad time to get injured then have no impact as a sub

Great changes - significantly upping our speed and X-factor.

Pretty sure WHE is within 2-3 games of playing 200, so clearly there is no sentimentality at the selection table - a great sign.

AJ has kicked 12.4 across his last four AFL/VFL matches so deserved to regain his spot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

First time Ive ever seen WHE be dropped since he has played for us.

The irony is, it’s happened in the season where he was just returning to his pre-2019 knee injury form lol

He deserved to be dropped for years before this week

But he did literally nothing as the sun last week when we were so desperate for SOMETHING. Not good enough.

T

This is the thin end of the wedge. A subtle way to drop Howe for Frampton in the next games. Last week may have put him in the firing line. Seems it's either a Cox and Howe combo or a Frampton aj combo imo
Howe isn’t going to be dropped. I’d say last weeks green shoots with him forward might mean we sub a tall if things aren’t going our way and move him up the field, but without injury he’ll be in our preferred defensive mix until at least the end of the year.

Well, two things can happen this weekend.
We play like we always do against the bottom 4 teams and squeeze in a small win.
Or we have a bolter where we win by a huge margin and players who struggle against quality have amazing games which cements their inclusion in the Premiership tilt. Even if they then perform poorly.
Not happy with the Cox drop as I’ve never seen him live and wanted to understand his whole ground game to see if it stands up to the pressure of the premiership run.

Howe isn’t going to be dropped. I’d say last weeks green shoots with him forward might mean we sub a tall if things aren’t going our way and move him up the field, but without injury he’ll be in our preferred defensive mix until at least the end of the year.
Could be
I think he isn't bulletproof, because he doesn't know when to block for others and always flies.
But he's a total champ. I'd be happy enough with him in the side.
The issue is that if we go in with only Cameron as a true tall, we are vulnerable. I'd say we need Cox or Frampton in a final. Sure, one ruck is fine if it's max gawn

Disagree with this. Nick needs to play where we think he's best suited. Nothing to do with the tagger. I think he'll continue to play mostly mid. He's been amazing there and hasn't played enough to get used to the role or build chemistry with team mates. Chopping and changing now will just make it more difficult.

A strong tagger, for me, is an added reason to play mid. The more he's exposed to these tactics before finals the better. As he has in all games he'll play multiple positions, but I still think mostly midfield.
I would be starting him at half back, he would also help with the kick ins which aren’t good at the moment. Of course he still has a run in the midfield in particular later on in games.

Pretty sure WHE is within 2-3 games of playing 200, so clearly there is no sentimentality at the selection table - a great sign.

AJ has kicked 12.4 across his last four AFL/VFL matches so deserved to regain his spot.

While Johnson is obviously more nimble than a 7ft Cox with Hill replacing Markov in the 22 and Markov knocking out WHE as sub speed wise it's a pretty similar across the 23. With Hill coming in for Markov we have however sacrificed speed coming out of our back half in preference for more up forward.

I actually think the bigger story is that we have placed more importance on the inside game of say an Adams/Mitchell and production levels of Lipinski ahead of the speed and running power of WHE and to a lesser extent Markov.

Time will tell I guess whether we stick to that philosophy as well as the one ruck setup.

The thing with Howe is, he reads the flight of the ball well, which is why he is such a good intercept defender, plus he is an excellent kick to position.
The same qualities will be useful if he plays forward.
In fact, he would probably be a better forward now than when we recruited him to play as one, because he's played on plenty of quality forwards and learnt a few of their tricks.
That's not to say we should play him forward routinely, but it gives us options.

The irony is, it’s happened in the season where he was just returning to his pre-2019 knee injury form lol

He deserved to be dropped for years before this week

But he did literally nothing as the sun last week when we were so desperate for SOMETHING. Not good enough.
It was his first game back from injury. Tough call

Is it happening again? Stalwarts being omitted, as per 2010? Talent should win out.

Feel for WHE, I dont recall him being dropped before.

Cox will cope. The big bloke has a healthy attitude, and is (I think) a realist.

Good side, well balanced.

Go AJ!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the closest we’ve been to full strength all season.Cox out is no surprise,given his form and Fly’s lack lustre defence of him in his post match presser.I think Hoskin Elliott is a bit stiff,as he only came on as sub last week and didn’t do much wrong in a losing side.If it were up to me I would have dropped Lipinski,as we’re carrying too many slow players in the midfield,and he is the obvious one to come out.
Agree.

Lippa too timid in the contest & lacks physicality in the tackle

Too slow to close distance & apply pressure (real or perceived).

Lipinski, Mitchell, Adams & Pendles are all slow across the ground. Lipinksi + Adams (or Mitchell) forward, in addition to Cox (not playing this week) & McStay really limits our I50 tackling & pressure once the ball hits the ground. And trampolining out of f50 has been an issue for the last 4-5 weeks.

Bobby Hill and Ash Johnson return to the side, with Mason Cox and Will Hoskin-Elliott both omitted for the match.

Oleg Markov will start as the substitute, while Billy Frampton, Jack Ginnivan, and Mason Cox are the three Emergencies.
COLLINGWOOD v HAWTHORN
BJeremy HoweDarcy MooreIsaac Quaynor
HBBrayden MaynardNathan MurphyScott Pendlebury
CSteele SidebottomPatrick LipinskiJosh Daicos
HFBobby HillBrody MihocekNick Daicos
FJamie ElliottDan McStayBeau McCreery
RDarcy CameronJordan De GoeyJack Crisp
INTTom MitchellJohn NobleTaylor Adams
Ash Johnson
SUBOleg Markov
EMGBilly FramptonJack GinnivanMason Cox
Big week in the VFL needed for Cox. Johnson could be back for finals now.

WHE - I think the curtains on his career are being pulled over. His axing has been called for since 2019, probably before.

Is it happening again? Stalwarts being omitted, as per 2010? Talent should win out.

Cox will cope. The big bloke has a healthy attitude, and is (I think) a realist.

Go AJ!

The INs this week made my heart sing.

AJ should not have been out of the senior line-up in the first place; the injustice of it pissed me off, a tad. That much raw talent is to be persevered with so it can flourish.

Go AJ!
Cox shouldn’t be fighting for selection against the forwards
Realistically he should be fighting Cameron for the #1 ruck spot.

That’s how we will get the best out of the team and out of the individuals.

There’s no point in Cox going back in the twos playing as a ruck (which is what will happen in order to find form) and then be bringing him in at the expense of a Johnson or McStay etc.

This is the closest we’ve been to full strength all season.Cox out is no surprise,given his form and Fly’s lack lustre defence of him in his post match presser.I think Hoskin Elliott is a bit stiff,as he only came on as sub last week and didn’t do much wrong in a losing side.If it were up to me I would have dropped Lipinski,as we’re carrying too many slow players in the midfield,and he is the obvious one to come out.
WHE had 3 disposals. Even though he plays a unique role, you'd be hard to say that three in a half of footy warrants selection the next week.

Hoskin-Elliot Elliott dropped? Ok…the signs are getting better

Very happy with the selections this week

So many questioned me when I was sus on Hoskin-Elliot coming in as the sub instead of Ginni.

Will had literally zero impact as the sub. Good to see some genuine selection integrity this week
Ridiculous and biased comment.

I'm not questioning whether or not Will was the correct option as sub last week but I see no issue with 'selection integrity' of selecting him as a sub. Before his hand injury he was clearly considered best 22 by the coaches being selected week after week. The medical staff cleared him to play and he came back into the side. Where is the selection integrity issue here?

If anything selecting Ginnivan as sub would have failed selection integrity. There have been some unlucky players outperforming him for a long period of time in the 2's.

Yep AJ is hot at the moment!

Cox shouldn’t be fighting for selection against the forwards
Realistically he should be fighting Cameron for the #1 ruck spot.

That’s how we will get the best out of the team and out of the individuals.

There’s no point in Cox going back in the twos playing as a ruck (which is what will happen in order to find form) and then be bringing him in at the expense of a Johnson or McStay etc.
It's going to be interesting to see how they manage Cox in the VFL. He's not a full time forward so it means he'll take development time away from Steene and Begg. Given they're playing Werribee, big things are expected. And it'll need to be a two or three week effort to return. Because Fly does not see one good game and go "yep, all g, back in".

Interesting to see who rucks more, AJ or McStay. I'd mostly only ruck McStay up forward, he's been too good forward to throw into the centre. AJ better in the centre with his leap and McStay at ball up with his strength.

Lol

You were telling me 90min ago that playing Johnson or mcstay as second rucks were inferior options to cox

Now you’re excited at the forward structure and interested in the second rucks

Sums up bigfooty tbh
Lipa would want to have a good game this Sat

He’s not the only one.

Now’s the time to turn up the expectations

Squad runs deep enough ✅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back