Game Day Pie v Pie Intraclub - Wed Feb 14th. 4:30-6pm @ AIA. Streaming via Collingwood app or website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Coxy no guarantee every week at this stage. Might get overtaken
Cox is a big game player who got the job done in three finals last year. Without him we would not have won the flag. I wouldn't put much weight on his performance in a February intra-club hit out.

If his form is poor once the real stuff starts, that's a different story.

So the SSP anoosunced on a diff day to the Fam day.

giphy.gif

Cox is a big game player who got the job done in three finals last year. Without him we would not have won the flag. I wouldn't put much weight on his performance in a February intra-club hit out.

If his form is poor once the real stuff starts, that's a different story.
Could also be load management to an extent as well. He'sn older player so prone to niggling injuries. What's the point in having him go hell for leather this early. Cox has a laconic manner about him but he is professional in his standards. If he wasn't you'd think Fly would be on his back. And his whole philosophy is about repaying Fly.

Guess we only see the track work. Not all the other stuff.

Could also be load management to an extent as well. He'sn older player so prone to niggling injuries. What's the point in having him go hell for leather this early. Cox has a laconic manner about him but he is professional in his standards. If he wasn't you'd think Fly would be on his back. And his whole philosophy is about repaying Fly.

Guess we only see the track work. Not all the other stuff.
Its not just this intraclub, he's regressed pre-season, while DC has stamped himself a step ahead.

Its not just this intraclub, he's regressed pre-season, while DC has stamped himself a step ahead.
When the games meant something last year, Cameron got ragdolled by the likes of Gawn etc. Cox gave them a lot more problems because of his height & he was harder to move aside. Don't write off Cox yet. Take you back to 5 minutes left in the GF. Cox jumps right over McInerney & lays it down to Naicos. Cameron can't jump over those guys. Sometimes we are prone to putting too much emphasis on pre seasons. That has been multiplied this year for some reason. There is definitely a place for Cameron in our team. But Cox for me is still the go to ruckman in our side.

When the games meant something last year, Cameron got ragdolled by the likes of Gawn etc. Cox gave them a lot more problems because of his height & he was harder to move aside. Don't write off Cox yet. Take you back to 5 minutes left in the GF. Cox jumps right over McInerney & lays it down to Naicos. Cameron can't jump over those guys. Sometimes we are prone to putting too much emphasis on pre seasons. That has been multiplied this year for some reason. There is definitely a place for Cameron in our team. But Cox for me is still the go to ruckman in our side.

I think we'll see DC has back that mantel now. He's pre-season has been exceptional. I think we underestimate how the knee injury last year affected him last year.
Just like Lippa and his shoulders.

And from how they line up in match sim, thats the coaches view too. Cox is usually on the bench or up forward.

I wouldn't be worried about Cox either. He's never been a particularly strong trainer from what I've seen.

Cameron seems to have really excelled over this pre-season & playing with much more confidence. Which is an extra bonus.

Fly knows how to get the best out of Cox when it counts.

I wouldn't be worried about Cox either. He's never been a particularly strong trainer from what I've seen.

Cameron seems to have really excelled over this pre-season & playing with much more confidence. Which is an extra bonus.

Fly knows how to get the best out of Cox when it counts.
I'm sure he'll play enough, and has his time in the ruck, but my point is that DC has regained the #1 ruck mantel back this pre-season. He's been the best ruck all pre-season. And around the ground.
Just a real dominance. Its like he has regained that best form that he showed before his injury.

I'm sure he'll play enough, and has his time in the ruck, but my point is that DC has regained the #1 ruck mantel back this pre-season. He's been the best ruck all pre-season. And around the ground.
Just a real dominance. Its like he has regained that best form that he showed before his injury.
I also think Cameron could be the more dominant ruckman for us this year.

Cox will do what he needs to do and if that means spending more time in the forward line than ruck in McStay's absence, it works well for everyone.

Last edited:
I think we'll see DC has back that mantel now. He's pre-season has been exceptional. I think we underestimate how the knee injury last year affected him last year.
Just like Lippa and his shoulders.
Like I said Jen & no offence intended here. Sometimes we put too much emphasis on pre season training form. I think they will use Cameron in the ruck early in the season as they like Cox in the forward line as well. But I bet the likes of Gawn & McInerney & even English would much prefer opposing Cameron to Cox at centre bounces & stoppages. When the real stuff starts we will have a better read on this. I'm also a little excited by Fin & Reef's form, but until they show this in real games for 4 points against desperate opposition it really doesn't mean diddly.

I also think Cameron could be the dominant ruckman for us this year.

Cox will do what he needs to do and if that means spending more time in the forward line than ruck in McStay's absence, it works well for everyone.
In the end, they'll work together until the youngsters step up.
Though DC was the big best man during this game. He was just clunking those marks. Could have had a few goals to his name too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder where Teakle would end up. Still hoped we'd invite him to play with our VFL side.
Yeah. No word yet. But he would have to make up his mind soon, and not miss training wherever he goes.
We prob do have a couple primary spots left if he does want to join.

But like many players that get rejected/delisted from the club, does a player want to stick around a club that basically said, thanks but no thanks?

In the end, they'll work together until the youngsters step up.
Though DC was the big best man during this game. He was just clunking those marks. Could have had a few goals to his name too.
That would definitely be the plan. I would imagine Fly and the coaches have had that conversation internally, manage Cox around those games against key opponents (Gawn, O Mac, Flynn rtc) and blood some games into Begg and Steene without overloading them. Big Mase knows he towards the end of the journey as a player (he's said it himself). So the club knows they need to prepare for the post-Cox era.

Yeah. No word yet. But he would have to make up his mind soon, and not miss training wherever he goes.
We prob do have a couple primary spots left if he does want to join.

But like many players that get rejected/delisted from the club, does a player want to stick around a club that basically said, thanks but no thanks?
If the plan was to take him in the MSD, he probably would.

Leggy came back after we rejected him..

Like I said Jen & no offence intended here. Sometimes we put too much emphasis on pre season training form. I think they will use Cameron in the ruck early in the season as they like Cox in the forward line as well. But I bet the likes of Gawn & McInerney & even English would much prefer opposing Cameron to Cox at centre bounces & stoppages. When the real stuff starts we will have a better read on this. I'm also a little excited by Fin & Reef's form, but until they show this in real games for 4 points against desperate opposition it really doesn't mean diddly.
I agree really strongly with what you are saying. We get absolutely A1 info about the preseason from Jen2310 backed up by Apples , Warburton Lad and other who write great reports so as a group we know far more about whats going on even compared to your average fanatical non BF Collingwood supporter. It does colour us a bit. For senior players like Cox and Cameron the only way one can elevate above the other is by performance in the real H&A matches. Preseason is to get fit, understand plans and roles but its not going to change their position in the team based on intraclub performance.

For Finn and Reef etc and guys at that stage its vital to have a good,even great, pre season to qualify for the early practice match which is the 1st real dress rehersal for their bid to break into the team. While Ed Allen and Ryan etc are not in a new contract needed situation they should be thinking the same thing.

Up to this point the pre season is to me as important for the 1st years and even now the SSPs. For Harry and Tew etc the few months at the club will have given themselves and the club a real feel for where they stand. We wont really know what that spot is, even with close track watching, but the club I am sure have a sense about how good these kids are already, whether a debut is 24 is on the cards, whether they should get an early contract extension, whether they are going to be AFL players etc.

Then there is a Sullivan or Bytel, pre season got them a spot but the next few weeks and praccie matches will tell us a bit about what to expect. If they are going to be players they have to play in 24. At their age and with their experience they dont have any development time, they have to preform immediately. After seeing this weeks intraclub I would expect Sullivan to get a spot against NM and we will know pretty early in the season what he is capable of. Can he find a spot early and elevate into the 22 and be Miho like. Reckon he is a chance

Thats how I see the pre season read.

If the plan was to take him in the MSD, he probably would.

Leggy came back after we rejected him..

Bit different to come back knowing you are getting a contract rather than than vfl. Especially given currently we don’t have a list spot for msd. And would have to rely on putting mcstay on LT1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit different to come back knowing you are getting a contract rather than than vfl. Especially given currently we don’t have a list spot for msd. And would have to rely on putting mcstay on LT1

Yes, it's different of course, one is AFL and one is VFL..but it was based on the premise they would take him in the MSD. God forbid, we do get a LTI before MSD, and I'm not hoping for one, but we all know it's a possibility.

And if Teakle hasn't received an offer elsewhere, he'd probably take the VFL one at the premiership club..than nothing.

Last edited:
Yes, it's different of course, one is AFL and one is VFL..but it was based on the premise they would take him in the MSD. God forbid, we do get a LTI before MSD, and I'm not hoping for one, but we all know it's a possibility.

And if Teakle hasn't received an offer elsewhere, he'd probably take the VFL one at the premiership club..than nothing.

Yeah that’s true. Suppose we will wait and see, what he decides. If we even offered a vfl spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back