Preview Match Sim v North @ AIA - Wed Feb 21st. 10am. 4x25min

Remove this Banner Ad

Result and senior player form irrelevent from yesterday. It was a day to see how our young and fringe players do in their 1st real examination of the season. Results mixed. Not surprisingly you could see a bit of a gulf between their really top line youngsters and ours but that was expected. They have some guns in the making, Scheezel as much there already as Nick was last year.

Positives

AJ Thought he had a strong continued presence and can clearly play above yesterdays level which was closed to VFL than AFL. Fittest he has been and as long as he goes alright next week lock him in for round 1

Reef Strong early and hands a feature. Faded a bit but is in contention. Biggest question will he be able to hold this once the pressure steps up next week and round 1 if he is there

Tew Did enough to have a fair degree of optimism about him. Glides over the ground, seems to read the game well. Could play year 1 and going forward could take the Markov/Noble role and do it better. Hope thats where he heads. Maybe not this year but the future

Steene Competed strongly and didnt look out of place, needs more development but a bit to like

Interesting

Sullivan Looked solid, question is can he step up in the weeks ahead. Don't think he will be any more than depth of fringe but could be a solid pick up

Finn Started well but died off, bit like the intraclub. His 1st part of the game makes you think he may have stepped up and be in real contention but in a match of this level had hoped he would be prominent all day.

Ryan Solid but a bit uninspiring, another that could challenge Markov/Noble as he develops further

Kreuger Strong contests but not much else, needs more involvement and be a bit more dangerous. Not sure he is more than AFL depth at best

Dean Quiet but just good to see him out there, did a few ok things but beaten easily at times. OK given the amount he has missed. Billy wasnt much better but should start the season but Dean hopefully becomes Murphs relacement if we need that, needs some time

HH Quietish but did some really nice things, developing, not sure where he gets to though. Love the pace

Disappointing

Allen Based on my overdeveloped hopes perhaps but he looked average. Needs to find how to get where the balls at, runs around a lot with little effect. Didnt do anything much when he did get it. Tempering my hopes for him but he does need to step up and get games in 24.

Carmichael For a game where he really needed to show he was at the level he was very vanilla. Make or break year in 24 so he needed to be a lot better yesterday.

Richards Got a bit involved at time but he is VFL at best. Kinda as expected so no surprise.

Two other observations

Really good players go a long way when they get confidence and evidence of how far they can go. A NS is rolled gold evidence and Bobby has a bit of strut and will step up a lot in 24. ??Bolton like

Schultz a really solid addition and will fit right in. Not sure he is elite or anything but will pressure and kick 30 goals more than likely so perfect for us.

I love Larkey, and don’t understand why he gets less love generally than other over-hyped higher profile KPFs - like Curnow. I’m also hoping he knocks Curnow off for the Coleman this year, and puts a hole in that hugely inflated ego.

For the small part of the game I saw yesterday, I thought North were playing a bit like us, and doing it well. Whether they can repeat that style of play in a ‘real’ game remains to be seen. But a fun day out for their fans and good luck to them.

Meanwhile, back at the Pies, Bobby Hill has picked up where he left off at the GF. And Shoota is a perfect complement. Two outstanding recruits under Wright’s watch. And very smart targeted recruiting, given the makeup of our forward line.
Who is Shooter? I thought we were going to call Schultz Schultz or sarge or something Hogan's Heroish. Or has the PC brigade got involved and decided that a WW2 prison camp figure is too risqué in the current political climate because it might prize from survivor's minds unpleasant memories of internment, starvation and cruelty? Shooter doesn't even seem to have that many shots on goal compared to say Bobby Hill. What's in a name, I ask?

I love Larkey, and don’t understand why he gets less love generally than other over-hyped higher profile KPFs - like Curnow. I’m also hoping he knocks Curnow off for the Coleman this year, and puts a hole in that hugely inflated ego.

For the small part of the game I saw yesterday, I thought North were playing a bit like us, and doing it well. Whether they can repeat that style of play in a ‘real’ game remains to be seen. But a fun day out for their fans and good luck to them.

Meanwhile, back at the Pies, Bobby Hill has picked up where he left off at the GF. And Shoota is a perfect complement. Two outstanding recruits under Wright’s watch. And very smart targeted recruiting, given the makeup of our forward line.

Probably just because he plays for North.

I've been guilty of underrating him based on barely knowing who he was because I don't watch North games aswell.

Who is Shooter? I thought we were going to call Schultz Schultz or sarge or something Hogan's Heroish. Or has the PC brigade got involved and decided that a WW2 prison camp figure is too risqué in the current political climate because it might prize from survivor's minds unpleasant memories of internment, starvation and cruelty? Shooter doesn't even seem to have that many shots on goal compared to say Bobby Hill. What's in a name, I ask?
It's actually Shoota.

All the players call him shooter. I think it comes from Freo. I don't think shooter is particularly PC.

You know nothing

NOTHING!

Just rolls off the tongue. And it’s what he was known as at Freo. A bit like Titch coming across from Hawthorn.

shooter pistol GIF

Completely forgot to mention yesterday how good I thought TJ looked.

He's gonna be an absolute beauty in a couple of years. Can see why Hawks supporters were cursing we took him.

Now we just need to find a way to get CJ over.

Re our Mcstay replacement, i have to admit I am an Ash Johnson fan. Has a great skill set.

However, my god he can be frustrating. It appears to me that he just coasts through games at times and depends on his talent to get through. Can do the amazing one minute and then just do something you shake your head at. A real rocks and diamonds player, if you like

So I will say he gets first crack, but he is on notice.
He's on notice to limit turnovers and hospital passes.

Noble on notice big time to reduce his turnover rate, too.

A chance.
That’s Cox biggest downfall as a fwd. he either marks it…or they do.

But assuming pre-season has been ok. Cameron/cox gets first dibs.
With aj/reef/kreugs replacing McStay.
Just feel both AJ and reef can’t compete on the stationary high ball like McStay.
Agree that kreugs has them covered in this space.
Just depends what we’re looking for.

Suspect if aj/reef get outmarked a bit the dial will turn quickly.

Kreuger’s got them well covered for his forward pressure as well. Hunts the footy or the man with it with so much ferocity it’s scary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not worried about the defence because Moore and Howe will be back, but there is a lot of uncertainty over Murphy. If he does not play, then Dean or Frampton will probably be required to man someone substantial in a key post. Though they will have some experience around them, they are 'Clayton's' defenders - the defenders you have when you don't have a defender. I want Murphy to start some positive inner head self talk and toss aside his fears, remove the worst of the kamikaze element from his game, and ensure those other two chaps spend the full year trying to get up to standard in the VFL.
We won a GF, with Murphy virtually mssing the entire game, against 2 of the most dasngerous talls in the game. And did not switch Frampton back.
So I'm farily confident one of our talls will seamlessly fit into our system, while Murphy is out.

We won a GF, with Murphy virtually mssing the entire game, against 2 of the most dasngerous talls in the game. And did not switch Frampton back.
So I'm farily confident one of our talls will seamlessly fit into our system, while Murphy is out.

Yep, spot on

Bill just gives us that flexibility with the the ability to ruck or pinch hit forward if the game needs it

Yep, spot on

Bill just gives us that flexibility with the the ability to ruck or pinch hit forward if the game needs it
For round one, I'd consider Kreuges over Bill - provides a bigger forward threat, won't need him to ruck (assuming that Cox and Cameron play) and he may not be required to back back unless they play someone like Keefe forward (assuming Moore goes to Hogan, Maynard to Riccardi) - for me, it's:
Out: Frampton, Murphy, Ginnivan
In: Kreuger, MacRae, Schultz - with Crisp spending more time in the backline as the Murphy replacement

For round one, I'd consider Kreuges over Bill - provides a bigger forward threat, won't need him to ruck (assuming that Cox and Cameron play) and he may not be required to back back unless they play someone like Keefe forward (assuming Moore goes to Hogan, Maynard to Riccardi) - for me, it's:
In: Kreuger, MacRae, Schultz - with Crisp spending more time in the backline as the Murphy replacement
Makes sense mate i like it. Always worried about poor kreugs putting himself in harms way is the only thing, bloke could walk a ten mile beach and stub his toe on the only rock

That was one game and not something of which I would want to make a habit. Murphy would be a huge loss and to pretend otherwise is not something I would be advising posters to do. Forget the 'while Murphy is out' bit. If he doesn't line up week one, I'd imagine it's unlikely that he will again. He will do what Brayshaw did today and retire, and we will all be forced to apologise to kappa for not trusting his insight into the Murphy situation.

You’ve got to put lippa back into the 22. He won’t be sub with the way he is playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was one game and not something of which I would want to make a habit. Murphy would be a huge loss and to pretend otherwise is not something I would be advising posters to do. Forget the 'while Murphy is out' bit. If he doesn't line up week one, I'd imagine it's unlikely that he will again. He will do what Brayshaw did today and retire, and we will all be forced to apologise to kappa for not trusting his insight into the Murphy situation.
'Insight' is a bit of an exaggeration. It was his opinion. Lol.

So what’s your solution to replace Frampton up forward from our GF side?

McInnes? A player entering his fourth season who has shown next to nothing in any role at AFL level? I really don’t understand the hype/expectations that have built up around Reef.

Or would you pick Krueger?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
McInnes. I couldn't care less about his history, there's plenty of context people have already spoken about to account for why he's had his issues, Im looking at what he's showing now, and what his raw attributes are. His attributes both physically and skill wise are clearly AFL caliber, anyone that thinks otherwise is blind. Doesn't mean he's gonna be a star, but having the better pre season of the two and showing up well so far in the matches played, while also being 5 years younger than Johnson, he's just the straight up better investment.
He is averaging 1.5 goals a game. He looks to have gone up a notch and yesterday could have easily kicked 5. Yesterday he made some blues but I don't think that is the norm.

Forwards like him don't grow on trees. I think teams we play against would be like you and not want him in.
Literally said I like his athleticism and ability to do things at ground level. I don't like poor decision makers/low footy IQ guys, especially when they are 26 years old. I'm fine if Johnson gets playing time, but that's just because of limited options, and he does have some natural skill and ability. There's no reason he should get the first crack over McInnes though. Reef is 21 years old, and you can talk about his years in the system vs Johnson all you want, he has just as many AFL level traits, and is just straight up the better investment given he's had the superior pre season by literally every account and is way younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back