VFL VFL Round 14 v Swans - Saturday June 24th. 10:05am. @ AIA Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

There was interest in him in the National draft so if we wanted him we had to pick him there. Its a spot we probably should have kept free for Markov instead of relying on an injury to sign a crucial depth player but Richards still has time to justify his selection.

He was hardly a crucial depth player if he'd likely be wearing a navy blue jumper if Dean hadn't re-injured his foot.

We're ahead of schedule then, played 35 players YTD by my count. What do we do with the 5 extras?
I think it’s about more than just playing them it’s about finding what your best 30 so mix is. You might play a Bianco because he got 30 touches and 2 goals in the VFL does it means he’s going to translate that to AFL probably not, can he play a role maybe…you can dissect it even further. You need to look at key position players and given we only have one pack breaking agile marking type I would give him some games to see if he can make us better.

To win premierships you have to take risks, we can’t sit idle playing the same players week in week out. Players will get injured at the most in opportune time before finals, they could get complacent they made need a rest…you have to have back up options prepared for AFL footy. Teams will work us out if we become predictable and I reckon they have.

When you’re a contender and you’ve already made finals, you have the luxury resting players and mixing things up. It has cost us in seasons gone by and we just don’t learn!

I think it’s about more than just playing them it’s about finding what your best 30 so mix is. You might play a Bianco because he got 30 touches and 2 goals in the VFL does it means he’s going to translate that to AFL probably not, can he play a role maybe…you can dissect it even further. You need to look at key position players and given we only have one pack breaking agile marking type I would give him some games to see if he can make us better.

To win premierships you have to take risks, we can’t sit idle playing the same players week in week out. Players will get injured at the most in opportune time before finals, they could get complacent they made need a rest…you have to have back up options prepared for AFL footy. Teams will work us out if we become predictable and I reckon they have.

When you’re a contender and you’ve already made finals, you have the luxury resting players and mixing things up. It has cost us in seasons gone by and we just don’t learn!
We haven’t made finals yet. Need to make top 2 if possible, worst case top 4. No guarantees. We are also missing 3 best 22, and have plenty of injuries. We don’t have the luxury of “just playing the kids”

We haven't played the same players every week. We've had lots of injuries which has meant players such as Frampton, Markov, Reef, Ginni, Harrison, Wilson, Kelly, Ruscoe, Krueger, have all played at some stage during the year. And some have kept their spots.

That whole draft was a bit of a head scratcher for mine. Aside from Ed.

Looking forward to the future second though, thanks tankers!
Jakob Ryan made sense - one of our best on the weekend and a mulleted magician. Ryan performed better than Allan and looks closer to a debut.

Think we may have taken Richards because of the Reid connection but I don't see him lasting long.

And yet I see some posters regretting we didn't take someone else at his selection. Why?
I was watching Ryan the whole time and thinking he was close to a debut. Like the kid can play and was outperforming far more experienced players. He'd be competing with Markov for a spot but surely we consider him. Got some flashy tricks, too.

You know, he has a mullet and plays with flair but he's not an idiot - very level headed out on the field which I like.

Jakob Ryan made sense - one of our best on the weekend and a mulleted magician. Ryan performed better than Allan and looks closer to a debut.
That’s a reflection of current form though; a couple of months ago Allan was playing well and a debut wouldn’t have raised any eyebrows. He’s just struggled to recapture some of that early season form.

I hope Ryan makes it and his most recent stats sound very encouraging, my main concern is that, like Ginnivan up the other end, his main strength appears to be reading of the play but he’s not particularly tall, strong, or fast.

That’s a reflection of current form though; a couple of months ago Allan was playing well and a debut wouldn’t have raised any eyebrows. He’s just struggled to recapture some of that early season form.
Ryan has looked more ready all season - except when he was out injured.

Ryan has looked more ready all season - except when he was out injured.

Agree to disagree.

Rounds 1-2 of the VFL, Allan had 25 disposals, 6 marks and a goal in each game. Round 2 he had 6 tackles too.

In the same time Ryan had 25 and 27 disposals, 7 and 10 marks, 0 and 1 tackles.

To me, they’re pretty much neck and neck. Both have also dropped off substantially since until Ryan’s most recent game.

I hope Ryan makes it and his most recent stats sound very encouraging, my main concern is that, like Ginnivan up the other end, his main strength appears to be reading of the play but he’s not particularly tall, strong, or fast.

About the same height as Howe. Just needs to add some high flying marking to his vocab lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the coaching panel have faith that whoever they promote, they will play their role.

To win premierships you first need to make finals. To do that we need to keep winning. I’m sure we’ll see others get opportunity in the run to finals, much like Harrison over the last few weeks.

I dont think you have Ryan right at all, unlike Ginni there is nothing wrong with his athleticism. I think Ryan has good pace, he plays with dash and has good closing speed when defending a lead. For a medium sized player is quite decent in the air. Sure he needs to put on a few kilos like virtually any first year player, but his aggression and 1 on 1 defensive stuff is pretty good. Indeed my initial thoughts on him were this is the player who might allow Maynard to push into the midfield. My concern about him is his kicking. His long kicking tends to be quite loopy (rather than low flat bombs like Maynard). Consequently he often plays it safe with his disposal and chips it short...

I dont think you have Ryan right at all, unlike Ginni there is nothing wrong with his athleticism. I think Ryan has good pace, he plays with dash and has good closing speed when defending a lead. For a medium sized player is quite decent in the air. Sure he needs to put on a few kilos like virtually any first year player, but his aggression and 1 on 1 defensive stuff is pretty good. Indeed my initial thoughts on him were this is the player who might allow Maynard to push into the midfield. My concern about him is his kicking. His long kicking tends to be quite loopy (rather than low flat bombs like Maynard). Consequently he often plays it safe with his disposal and chips it short...
apart from the time he did a torp from the kick in, to the middle of the ground. That was some kick.

Good game by Ryan, but for those who didn't see the game and just saw the stats he did take just about every kick in so there's inflation with those possessions.

I really like him but also agree with RoyalSampler about his pace and Mark W with his kicking. I just think his strengths in reading the play and calmness in traffic will overcome his deficiencies. I passed him in the ailse on Sunday and he's a decent size and frame and while skinny I reckon with a couple of preseasons he'll be fine. I'm hoping with a bit more size his overhead game becomes apparent.

I've said it before but I don't think his celing is super high but his floor is, and I'm confident he plays a lot of AFL footy.

Agree to disagree.

Rounds 1-2 of the VFL, Allan had 25 disposals, 6 marks and a goal in each game. Round 2 he had 6 tackles too.

In the same time Ryan had 25 and 27 disposals, 7 and 10 marks, 0 and 1 tackles.

To me, they’re pretty much neck and neck. Both have also dropped off substantially since until Ryan’s most recent game.
Admittedly Ryan plays a more straightforward position, but in the early games I thought he looked more ready regardless of the stat sheet. I thought Allan was running to positions to get some meaningless stats and looked uncertain in the contest and where to be. I don't think Allan has worked out his running patterns yet. Doesn't look ready to me, whereas Ryan looks like you could slot him in and he'd go ok.

Admittedly Ryan plays a more straightforward position, but in the early games I thought he looked more ready regardless of the stat sheet. I thought Allan was running to positions to get some meaningless stats and looked uncertain in the contest and where to be. I don't think Allan has worked out his running patterns yet. Doesn't look ready to me, whereas Ryan looks like you could slot him in and he'd go ok.

I think you might be onto something regarding the running patterns. My impressions on Allan is that he looks completely lost and doesnt know how to find the footy when he plays outside on the wing. But when he is in the guts he finds the footy and looks a million dollars. Reckon Ive seen 3 games now where he has played wing and was pretty much anonymous..

I could say similar things on Draper. When played on a flank or wing, he doesnt know how to find the footy but can look impressive in the middle

I think we know who our “30” are. The 23 who played Sunday. Add JDG, McStay, Sidebottom, Frampton and Ginnivan and you’re at 28. Take your pick between Kreuger, McInnes, Bianco, and Ruscoe for your final 2. I still haven’t ruled out Macrae either if an inside mid is needed. That plenty of depth.

I think we know who our “30” are. The 23 who played Sunday. Add JDG, McStay, Sidebottom, Frampton and Ginnivan and you’re at 28. Take your pick between Kreuger, McInnes, Bianco, and Ruscoe for your final 2. I still haven’t ruled out Macrae either if an inside mid is needed. That plenty of depth.
We've played 34 this year which is right on the AFL average, so I'm not sure what the chatter is about.

I think you might be onto something regarding the running patterns. My impressions on Allan is that he looks completely lost and doesnt know how to find the footy when he plays outside on the wing. But when he is in the guts he finds the footy and looks a million dollars. Reckon Ive seen 3 games now where he has played wing and was pretty much anonymous..

I could say similar things on Draper. When played on a flank or wing, he doesnt know how to find the footy but can look impressive in the middle
If the only position that Allan can play is inside mid, he may be waiting quite a while to get an AFL game given he is up against De Goey, Adams and Mitchell.

If the only position that Allan can play is inside mid, he may be waiting quite a while to get an AFL game given he is up against De Goey, Adams and Mitchell.
He was an inside midfielder before his growth spurt. I've watched countless times when he's on his own screaming for the ball on wing and gets ignored.
Begg did it to him a few weeks back and then kicked the ball on the full.

Better players around him and he will shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back