Review AAMI Community Series: Collingwood v Richmond - Tuesday Feb 27 @ 6:40pm. Ikon Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved it when Frampton’s kick for goal rolled through when the Richmond players were foolishly trying to take stand v Cox. Undisciplined by Richmond but I suppose that’s what practice matches are for.

But why did AJ go for the mark way after siren Went

Loved it when Frampton’s kick for goal rolled through when the Richmond players were foolishly trying to take stand v Cox. Undisciplined by Richmond but I suppose that’s what practice matches are for.
It was hilarious. Coxy gets the last laugh again.

Undisciplined by Richmond. And Richmond fans wonder why they get so many frees against. Morons.

to drag his stupid opponent under the ball.
Was a smart play. Made it look like he was going to mark, then missed the ball on purpose. His opponent was the only bloke that could spoil it but it confused him and he missed the ball, enabling it to bounce through. Don't think it would have worked in the home and away season.

Last edited:
I think Framptons role in the backline is underrated over the last 12 months. He has hardly let us down and had some good moments.
He looked like he read the play well last night and played a 3rd man up role really well a few times.
He only lost his spot in the backline last year because Darcy, Howe and Murph were such a good unit. Form wasn’t the issue.
Billy is one of those players whose reputation makes it hard for him to ever impress or gain some positive approval. He seems to have been branded "the dopey break glass in times of desperation bloke" who at best fills a hole until somebody decent returns.

He is better than that. Even his ruckwork is underrated. He played well last night and did all that can be expected of a defender. Darcy could learn a little from Frampton about how to go the punch from behind even when you think you are a half chance to snag a grab.

He was excellent vs Richmond and stood out for us as one of our best players for the game imo.

Was pleasantly surprised imo looks a better defender and more versatile as a defender then Frampton.
I'm a Dean fan but I still think Frampton might be better suited to the big key forwards like Jesse Hogan, Hawkins, Amartey and Mckay.

Billy is one of those players whose reputation makes it hard for him to ever impress or gain some positive approval. He seems to have been branded "the dopey break glass in times of desperation bloke" who at best fills a hole until somebody decent returns.

He is better than that. Even his ruckwork is underrated. He played well last night and did all that can be expected of a defender. Darcy could learn a little from Frampton about how to go the punch from behind even when you think you are a half chance to snag a grab.
Agree 💯

How have you come to the conclusion Reef is a dumb footballer?
I wouldn’t say that’s my conclusion as I’ve not seen enough of him, was reflecting on somebody else’s post.

He strikes me as a bit lost, maybe not a natural forward. If he is low IQ football wise then he’s better behind the ball.

I wouldn’t say that’s my conclusion as I’ve not seen enough of him, was reflecting on somebody else’s post.

He strikes me as a bit lost, maybe not a natural forward. If he is low IQ football wise then he’s better behind the ball.
Footy IQ to me is to do with the speed of accurate decision making on the field. I think Reef is miles ahead of Johnson in that regard, not to say Reef is really good, but I think Johnson's is particularly bad. Also Reef clearly isn't a natural forward, as he came through youth levels as a midfielder. To me that's the only reason Reef isn't miles ahead of Johnson for the spot. But I don't think he's been given enough game time at senior level to tell much.

Johnson is not being given enough credit for the efforts he makes off the ball that get no stat reward. I am particularly referring to the leads that drag his opponent clear of where the ball is actually going to go. If his opponent leaves him, then the kick will go to him. Goals to Mihocek and Schulz were creations of this work. He got a shot himself when the opponent sagged off and let Lipinski pass it to the front of the pack. These are not the actions of a football dope, but of someone playing for the team. McInnes is probably doing similar things, although I didn't notice them myself.

Johnson is not being given enough credit for the efforts he makes off the ball that get no stat reward. I am particularly referring to the leads that drag his opponent clear of where the ball is actually going to go. If his opponent leaves him, then the kick will go to him. Goals to Mihocek and Schulz were creations of this work. He got a shot himself when the opponent sagged off and let Lipinski pass it to the front of the pack. These are not the actions of a football dope, but of someone playing for the team. McInnes is probably doing similar things, although I didn't notice them myself.
Yep said something similar myself earlier on this thread. AJ opened up some space with some good leads, which resulted in goals even though his leads weren’t honoured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah while I still think he ultimately needs to do more directly as a “tall forward” in terms of scoring impact, there’s a LOT of smart stuff he does off the ball that leads to goals and scoring opportunities.

That’s on top of the smart knock ons and taps he does. Like the intentional rushed behind against Adelaide to level the scores.

Draggin his man out to allow Billy’s goal through.

Dragging his man away to allow Shoota to run onto the McCreery kick.

I suspect that many would have less of an issue with him if he was hitting the scoreboard more.

Yeah while I still think he ultimately needs to do more directly as a “tall forward” in terms of scoring impact, there’s a LOT of smart stuff he does off the ball that leads to goals and scoring opportunities.

That’s on top of the smart knock ons and taps he does. Like the intentional rushed behind against Adelaide to level the scores.

Draggin his man out to allow Billy’s goal through.

Dragging his man away to allow Shoota to run onto the McCreery kick.

I suspect that many would have less of an issue with him if he was hitting the scoreboard more.

On the limited evidence of preseason, his work rate seems vastly improved on what we’d seen in previous years. Hopefully we start to see some of that rewarded. Same applies to McInnes though although Johnson seems to have a licence to roam further afield.

Watched the replay last night.

The first quarter was very rusty with Richmond playing very well but unable to convert on the scoreboard. We found our mojo in the second and third quarters with our transition and high contested ball numbers. The last quarter was run out pretty well with some youngsters getting game time.

Lipinski was outstanding. He was very good in 2022, had setbacks in 2023 but what was able to get back and contribute in the second half of last season and from what I've gathered he's had an excellent off-season so he's primed for a big 2024.

Schultz's running capacity and pressure game is excellent. Will be a very handy forward option for us once he's completely in sync with our structures and patterns of play.

I'm usually one to criticise Cox, but he was very good. Took 10 marks and 3 contested marks, so he dominated aerially which was very promising. If he can sustain that during the season, I can't see him significantly dropping off.

Charlie Dean might be a good option if Nathan Murphy continues to be absent indefinitely. It's good to see that he's back playing after two years of significant setbacks.

The big unanswered question is which player can fill the void left by McStay. Ash Johnson and Nathan Kreuger are the obvious two that need to step up if they want to claim that spot. Johnson has tricks, but needs to add variety to his game as he's a little one-dimensional and Kreuger is perpetually injured.

Overall, it was a good solid session against the Tigers and we should be well prepared come the Opening Round.

Watched the replay last night.

The first quarter was very rusty with Richmond playing very well but unable to convert on the scoreboard. We found our mojo in the second and third quarters with our transition and high contested ball numbers. The last quarter was run out pretty well with some youngsters getting game time.

Lipinski was outstanding. He was very good in 2022, had setbacks in 2023 but what was able to get back and contribute in the second half of last season and from what I've gathered he's had an excellent off-season so he's primed for a big 2024.

Schultz's running capacity and pressure game is excellent. Will be a very handy forward option for us once he's completely in sync with our structures and patterns of play.

I'm usually one to criticise Cox, but he was very good. Took 10 marks and 3 contested marks, so he dominated aerially which was very promising. If he can sustain that during the season, I can't see him significantly dropping off.

Charlie Dean might be a good option if Nathan Murphy continues to be absent indefinitely. It's good to see that he's back playing after two years of significant setbacks.

The big unanswered question is which player can fill the void left by McStay. Ash Johnson and Nathan Kreuger are the obvious two that need to step up if they want to claim that spot. Johnson has tricks, but needs to add variety to his game as he's a little one-dimensional and Kreuger is perpetually injured.

Overall, it was a good solid session against the Tigers and we should be well prepared come the Opening Round.
Not sure if Kreuger is the bloke to step up. Johnson is more of a chance although McInnes might be a chance as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back