VFL Pies v bullants

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s been on the list for 2 years now and has shown almost nothing for the majority of that time. If he had some sort of point of difference or showed AFL traits then yeah, it might be premature to write him off, but he’s shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he might make it. He’s not particularly fast, he’s putrid in the air, barely competitive in the ruck, and undersized for the role. Steene is literally everything Begg should be as a forward/ruck prospect and he’s doing it in his first 6 months at the club.

So no, I’m not writing him off prematurely, I just don’t want us wasting a spot on the list hoping that Begg will magically transform in to something he’s not when we already have a far superior young prospect who’s overtaken him.
He is a rookie speculative pick at a time when the players you were picking had little exposure. I like the pick at the time as he is big and athletic the issue is he adds zero value in the air. I dont think he has taken more than 2 marks in any game.

Only way I see him staying on list is really adding a marking aspect to his game otherwise thanks for the effort.

Where do you see him spinny? He’s not a ruck.

I think ruck is his best spot. Improved a lot this year relative to last. Was injured when we drafted him so hasn't really had a lot of footy. Only 20 so still very young in terms of ruckmen. I think with Begg and Steene we have 2x very promising developing rucks.

I thought Macrae was our standout senior player today. Kelly, Ryan, Draper and Kreuger the others who stood out IMHO.

Reef could have had 4 or 5 today and I thought early it was his best game for some time. Ended up with 2 goals 3 and I'm probably being overly harsh on his performance because of that. Was good to see him getting midfield rotations.

Thought Wilson was rather quiet despite his 4 goals.

Can't quite place Bianco. Get's a lot of the footy but lacks impact.

Eyre took another step today, was very solid. Shame we don't get priority access to him.

Fin Macrae impressed on Sunday to put his hand up for a recall to the senior side in place of Jordan De Goey, who is facing a lengthy suspension.

Macrae had 25 touches, six marks and four clearances in Collingwood's 51-point win over the North Bullants to be the leading ball-winner for the Pies.

Trent Bianco (24 disposals), Trey Ruscoe (23) and Will Kelly (22) also had plenty of the ball, while Josh Carmichael and Jakob Ryan (both 19) were also heavily involved.
Ruckman Nathan Kreuger kicked three goals up forward while Reef McInnes bagged two, although it was Tom Wilson and Sam Glover (four goals each) who led the scoring.

Aiden Begg did some good things in the ruck with 13 hitouts, nine tackles and nine disposals.

I think ruck is his best spot. Improved a lot this year relative to last. Was injured when we drafted him so hasn't really had a lot of footy. Only 20 so still very young in terms of ruckmen. I think with Begg and Steene we have 2x very promising developing rucks.

I thought Macrae was our standout senior player today. Kelly, Ryan, Draper and Kreuger the others who stood out IMHO.

Reef could have had 4 or 5 today and I thought early it was his best game for some time. Ended up with 2 goals 3 and I'm probably being overly harsh on his performance because of that. Was good to see him getting midfield rotations.

Eyre took another step today, was very solid. Shame we don't get priority access to him.
Eyre was drafted by Essendon from their NGA program, but never debuted before they delisted him. But sometimes big boys take time to develop. But I like the look of him. His younger brother is available to essendon in their NGA program this year.

He’s been on the list for 2 years now and has shown almost nothing for the majority of that time. If he had some sort of point of difference or showed AFL traits then yeah, it might be premature to write him off, but he’s shown absolutely nothing to suggest that he might make it. He’s not particularly fast, he’s putrid in the air, barely competitive in the ruck, and undersized for the role. Steene is literally everything Begg should be as a forward/ruck prospect and he’s doing it in his first 6 months at the club.

So no, I’m not writing him off prematurely, I just don’t want us wasting a spot on the list hoping that Begg will magically transform in to something he’s not when we already have a far superior young prospect who’s overtaken him.
2years?
Most of which have been derailed by injury.

He is more athletic, agile and faster than Steene.
Clearly Steene is preferred as a Ruck prospect given he’s been playing Ruck all his career.

Being retained ahead of McMahon, speaks to the potential the club sees in Begg.
Clearly his athleticism is his point of difference - 197cm players with elite athleticism are very hard to find.
The fact you chose to ignore this point of difference to make your argument, doesn’t erase it.
And, Talls take time, but with Beggs athleticism perseverance is worth the risk.
FFS Kelly, Wilson, have had 4 years - and you want Begg cut in 2.
That’s definitely a premature call.

2years?

Clearly Steene is preferred as a Ruck prospect given he’s been playing Ruck all his career.

Clearly his athleticism is his point of difference - 197cm players with elite athleticism are very hard to find.
The fact you chose to ignore this point of difference to make your argument, doesn’t erase it.
And, Talls take time, but with Beggs athleticism perseverance is worth the risk.
The problem with begg spinny is he’s to undersized to be a ruck, he’s extremely poor on the air, never takes a mark. He’s decent below the knees, but where does that leave him? I don’t see anything to work with unfortunately. Unless he’s tried in defence.

The problem with begg spinny is he’s to undersized to be a ruck, he’s extremely poor on the air, never takes a mark. He’s decent below the knees, but where does that leave him? I don’t see anything to work with unfortunately. Unless he’s tried in defence.
Finlayson at Port is 197cm, Jackson is 199cm both are 2nd string Ruckmen in their respective teams, so size is not Beggs issue IMO.

Agree we should definitely groom Begg as defender.

Finlayson at Port is 197cm, Jackson is 199cm both are 2nd string Ruckmen in their respective teams, so size is not Beggs issue IMO.

Both of them are great in the air though. Wait and see I guess

His good is real good. Lets himself down with some bad decisions sometimes.
Agree we have something to work with. Perhaps as a defender 🤔

He's about to turn 24 and plays a good VFL game... Not sure that's a "highlight" for an AFL career.
moving-goalpost.gif

Live footage of your goalpost moving

You're so right, as long as you view having 1 good VFL game as a high point of his career. Personally, I don't.

Don't think he would either.
Nobody has mentioned "highlight", except for you. You said verbatim that his career "never goes up", which was shown to be wrong.

Now you're pivoting hard to mocking a point nobody made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2years?

His athleticism isn’t a point of difference. If he had Buddy athleticism it would be a point of difference, but he doesn’t. You keep going on about this but what actual athletic traits does he have that are elite? As far as I can see he’s not particularly fast, doesn’t have an amazing leap, his agility is ok and his tank is adequate. Am I missing something here, because nothing about his athleticism that I can see sets him apart from any other player his size. I’m not ignoring it I just flat out don’t see it, so please enlighten me.
Kelly should have been cut 2 years ago, and Wilson was a cat B for the bulk of his time at Collingwood, and they’ve both shown more promise than Begg has so far.

Frankly, even if he did have all those amazing athletic qualities you claim he has, he’s a tall player who can’t mark the ball. 0 marks in the last 2 games. That’s useless in AFL footy from a ruckman. It was the biggest issue Grundy had with us and Begg makes him look like a marking monster.
Premature? Nah. I just haven’t got any eggs in the Begg basket like you do.

Nobody has mentioned "highlight", except for you. You said verbatim that his career "never goes up", which was shown to be wrong.

Now you're pivoting hard to mocking a point nobody made.

Right... so if he plays a good VFL game, that proves that his career is actually like a rollercoaster... and I'm mocking that... gotcha. :moustache:

You take this internet point scoring very seriously

I missed the game. Kelly got high stats - where did he play and what impressed about his game? McCrae is touted as the best place - did he have a strong on ground profile or was he quietly workman-like and efficient? AS for Wilson, every time I have watched him, he doesn't stamp the kind of presence on the game that his goal tally might suggest he should.

I missed the game. Kelly got high stats - where did he play and what impressed about his game? McCrae is touted as the best place - did he have a strong on ground profile or was he quietly workman-like and efficient? AS for Wilson, every time I have watched him, he doesn't stamp the kind of presence on the game that his goal tally might suggest he should.

Kelly played wing. Worked hard up and down the ground, especially back into defence. Provided a link in our transition, generally marked well. Still had a few moments he'd like to forget but I think that's what we'll get from him.

Kelly was wing again, it was one of his better games, but he was still “Kelly”. Poor decision making. Took a couple of nice grabs but didn’t stand out despite high numbers.

Macrae was a little bit down today but again very solid. He’s def an in and under player/link up. Good pressure but def prefers handballs. A few inside 50’s for him, not the usual couple of shots in goal he gets though.

Wilson had a good game, won’t be pushing afl though. Hes a good vfl player. Same as bianco.

Of the others Ryan was solid, he’s just very composed for a first year player, kreugs was good both in the air and on the ground, Steene showed his aerial skills with two nice marks and goals inside 50 (he looks good), reef played well to, kicked a few, was good in the air and in the ground.

The opposition wasn’t much though.

Kelly played wing. Worked hard up and down the ground, especially back into defence. Provided a link in our transition, generally marked well. Still had a few moments he'd like to forget but I think that's what we'll get from him.
If that's what we'll get for him, is that enough? Or will he be required to empty out his locker at season's end?

Kelly was wing again, it was one of his better games, but he was still “Kelly”. Poor decision making. Took a couple of nice grabs but didn’t stand out despite high numbers.

Macrae was a little bit down today but again very solid. He’s def an in and under player/link up. Good pressure but def prefers handballs. A few inside 50’s for him, not the usual couple of shots in goal he gets though.

Wilson had a good game, won’t be pushing afl though. Hes a good vfl player. Same as bianco.

Of the others Ryan was solid, he’s just very composed for a first year player, kreugs was good both in the air and on the ground, Steene showed his aerial skills with two nice marks and goals inside 50 (he looks good), reef played well to, kicked a few, was good in the air and in the ground.

The opposition wasn’t much though.
Thanks for the info.

What happened to that other chap in that threesome of FJ's? Edward Allan. Haven't seen a mention of him in the 3 pages I read. Was he injured or just quiet?

Thanks for the info.

What happened to that other chap in that threesome of FJ's? Edward Allan. Haven't seen a mention of him in the 3 pages I read. Was he injured or just quiet?
He was emergency and flew with the team. Unfortunate as we all like watching him.

Upside is he got some family time I’m sure

His athleticism isn’t a point of difference. If he had Buddy athleticism it would be a point of difference, but he doesn’t. You keep going on about this but what actual athletic traits does he have that are elite? As far as I can see he’s not particularly fast, doesn’t have an amazing leap, his agility is ok and his tank is adequate. Am I missing something here, because nothing about his athleticism that I can see sets him apart from any other player his size. I’m not ignoring it I just flat out don’t see it, so please enlighten me.
Kelly should have been cut 2 years ago, and Wilson was a cat B for the bulk of his time at Collingwood, and they’ve both shown more promise than Begg has so far.

Frankly, even if he did have all those amazing athletic qualities you claim he has, he’s a tall player who can’t mark the ball. 0 marks in the last 2 games. That’s useless in AFL footy from a ruckman. It was the biggest issue Grundy had with us and Begg makes him look like a marking monster.
Premature? Nah. I just haven’t got any eggs in the Begg basket like you do.
Tom Wilson is still a Cat B rookie. We were allowed to keep him on that list for yet another year, due to the "special circumstances" of the Covid years. Though he's got some talent his luck is likely to run out at the end of the year, as there should be quite a squeeze on for list spots, and I don't think there's any chance he'll get an upgrade.

I don't know why they're still playing Begg in the ruck. I don't see him making it in that position, his lack of marking ability makes it unlikely he could succeed as a forward, so they really should be trialling him as a key defender. I think it should be that or bust for him!

Right... so if he plays a good VFL game, that proves that his career is actually like a rollercoaster... and I'm mocking that... gotcha. :moustache:

You take this internet point scoring very seriously
Your continuous gymnastics and wilting when challenged is just sad. Admitting it when you’re wrong can actually feel good!

Doesn't get near it in marking contests so he can't play KPP. He's a ruck with a strong follow up game - unlikely to be an AFL ruck though. Should develop into a very good state league ruck in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back