VFL Pies v bullants

Remove this Banner Ad

An 18 Month contract frequently used for MSD, means when picked up in July 2021, took him to Dec 2022.
Please provide a link to his contract extension beyond that time.
You could have just googled it yourself. But here you go, first links up a couple of extensions

An 18 Month contract frequently used for MSD, means when picked up in July 2021, took him to Dec 2022.
Im with you No Spin. Begg is going ok and don't worry about the naysayers.
Begg actually had a really good game against North.

#obsession

I'll say Nathan Krueger's career has had some "up parts", like a 3 goal game in a VFL match, thus making his career like a rollercoaster... if it helps you sleep at night... and it looks like it just might :moustache:.

Congratulations, you won the internet points.
I love how much difficulty you have admitting your errors, as numerous as they are. Even when you try to it can’t be anything but a condescending potshot. Never change!

Strength is an aspect of athleticism, surely you admit that?
When we look at the athleticism of draft prospects - strength rarely comes into it. Those draftees are usually classified as “powerful”

The idea of comparing the strength of a 20 yo Begg to 34 yo Goldstein is irrelevant when talking of athleticism IMO.

When we look at the athleticism of draft prospects - strength rarely comes into it. Those draftees are usually classified as “powerful”

The idea of comparing the strength of a 20 yo Begg to 34 yo Goldstein is irrelevant when talking of athleticism IMO.
Sure, but you look at capacity to develop it. Sean Darcy at 20 compared to Begg, in this aspect, are night and day. Begg also doesn't really do anything with this supposed athleticism. Doesn't mark, doesn't do well in the ruck. What good is an athlete if he doesn't impose himself?

Sure, but you look at capacity to develop it. Sean Darcy at 20 compared to Begg, in this aspect, are night and day. Begg also doesn't really do anything with this supposed athleticism. Doesn't mark, doesn't do well in the ruck. What good is an athlete if he doesn't impose himself?
Begg would eat Darcy for Pace, mobility and ground ball work but remember this discussion is not about Begg’s Rucking ability.
I offered the list in response to a request to provide Ruckmen with less athleticism than Begg - that poster aligned the comparison to Ruckmen not myself.
I don’t see Begg as a First Ruck.

Begg would eat Darcy for Pace, mobility and ground ball work but remember this discussion is not about Begg’s Rucking ability.
I offered the list in response to a request to provide Ruckmen with less athleticism than Begg - that poster aligned the comparison to Ruckmen not myself.
Problem is Spinny, when you look around the league, height and strength appear to be the most important athletic traits for a ruck.

You get the odd exception like Paddy Ryder and Jeff White who did it the way Begg will have to - with a big leap, so he's not no chance. Not going to come easily though.

The problem is if he is not a first ruck than he is either up forward or on bench. Up forward he has shown little and if on bench why not bring play two first rucks to get an advantage. I liked pick initially and that we have given him a chance as it did look like his athleticism could translate well up forward or even down back. Sadly that has not been the case so far and he has 10 weeks to see if he can change this otherwise I will be amazed if he is still on list next year.

The good news is Steene is looking to pass him which is a positive.

None of those traits seem to indicate he’ll make it as a ruck with his height (or lack thereof).

I get calls wanting him to play a key position, but if he can’t mark it then unsure how good he’d be there either

Edit - he was given a contract extension around this time last year, but McMahon wasn’t- so again proves the point he was preferred to McMahon.

McMahon had already had 2 full seasons in the system when he was delisted. When Begg was extended he’d had less than 12 months at the club, the first 6 months recovering from a shoulder reco. Just logical to give him extra time. He was retained because he was contracted, McMahon delisted because he’d had 2 full years, was still built like a stick, and his form wasn’t good enough to stake a claim for an extension.

Doesn't get near it in marking contests so he can't play KPP. He's a ruck with a strong follow up game - unlikely to be an AFL ruck though. Should develop into a very good state league ruck in a few years.
I think he’s aerial game can be developed if he plays defence. It’s easier to read the game behind the ball. Ruck is probably the hardest place to develop an aerial game.

I think he’s aerial game can be developed if he plays defence. It’s easier to read the game behind the ball. Ruck is probably the hardest place to develop an aerial game.
Ruck is harder in terms of getting your running right to be in the right place. But if the issue is reading the ball flight, you're stuffed in defence. And like Grundy, I don't think he can read it in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Begg's no 1st ruck, so he either needs a forward game to go with being a second ruck. Or he needs to be turned into a defender. Can he develop in either of these positions? I personally dont think Collingwood will give him the time to develop with Frampton showing he is a satisfactory 1st/2nd ruck and Steene a younger man showing better ruck traits. Its probably a smarter bet to delist Begg and pick a quality defender/forward talent who has developed these skills as a junior or through the VFL rather then try Begg in the role with almost zero experience in these roles.

But why would you bother? Why not just pick or steal a tall 195+ bloke in the draft or with a trade who has developed as a defender as a junior and knows the craft? His athletic ability isnt that good that it is worth developing him as a defender when he has never played there before.

Ruck is harder in terms of getting your running right to be in the right place. But if the issue is reading the ball flight, you're stuffed in defence. And like Grundy, I don't think he can read it in the air.
He’ll never be Moore in the air but I think it can be worked on to a reasonable standard. Even Grundy can take a pack mark if he’s in the right spot and gets a free run and jump at it.

But why would you bother? Why not just pick or steal a tall 195+ bloke in the draft or with a trade who has developed as a defender as a junior and knows the craft? His athletic ability isnt that good that it is worth developing him as a defender when he has never played there before.
That’s a good point, I think Eyre might be worth a shot on our list.

I love how much difficulty you have admitting your errors, as numerous as they are. Even when you try to it can’t be anything but a condescending potshot. Never change!

So, the error here, that you're so desperate to point out... is that Kreuger actually has had a rollercoaster career, because... he played a good VFL game this weekend...

Just to be clear, that's your argument that you've been at me for 2 days now?

Begg's no 1st ruck, so he either needs a forward game to go with being a second ruck. Or he needs to be turned into a defender. Can he develop in either of these positions? I personally dont think Collingwood will give him the time to develop with Frampton showing he is a satisfactory 1st/2nd ruck and Steene a younger man showing better ruck traits. Its probably a smarter bet to delist Begg and pick a quality defender/forward talent who has developed these skills as a junior or through the VFL rather then try Begg in the role with almost zero experience in these roles.

Max Lynch had 5 years at the club, the 1st few of those I doubted he would ever make it. Happy for Begg to get similar opportunity. I think his ruckwork is ahead of Lynch at the same point in their careers.

LEGENDARY former captain Tom Wilson and club-saving coach Josh Fraser marked a successful return to Genis Steel Oval as Collingwood got itself back on the winner’s list with a 51-point victory over Northern Bullants.

The Magpies always had the game in their keeping from the outset, booting 4.6 to 0.2 in the opening term and pushing out to a 63-point lead at the final change that could have been higher.

But the Bullants are another team that doesn’t have quit in their DNA and they lifted with six goals in the last quarter to win the term and give coach Brodie Holland, himself a highly-respected former Magpie, plenty to work with for future weeks.

Wilson was Collingwood’s best in his first game back at his old stomping ground since following Fraser to Victoria Park in the off-season and 148th VFL appearance overall, winning 26 touches, five tackles and six inside-50s while his namesake, the former basketballer Tom G. Wilson, took seven marks and kicked four goals.

Fin Macrae (25 dispsoals, eight entries), Trey Ruscoe (23 dispsoals, eight marks, eight rebounds) and Will Kelly (23 dispsoals, 10 marks, six entries) were also good for the Magpies, with Sam Glover also kicked four goals and Nathan Kreuger added three.

Max Lynch had 5 years at the club, the 1st few of those I doubted he would ever make it. Happy for Begg to get similar opportunity. I think his ruckwork is ahead of Lynch at the same point in their careers.
Lynch was taller and could play 1st ruck. He only had the durable Grundy in front of him and he left for more opportunity (Cameron and Cox were not considered 1st rucks at the time). Begg has Cox, Cameron, Frampton and Steene in front of him. If we re-sign him he will more likely clog the list for 1-2 years (I dont see him getting past the taller rucks we have as 1st ruck) or much more unlikely he will develop and leave for more opportunity. He cant mark like Cox, Cameron or even Steene and because of this he looks 4th in line as a 2nd ruck forward. He has traits similar to Will Kelly who has struggled as a backman so I dont see him as a backman.

Lynch was taller and could play 1st ruck. He only had the durable Grundy in front of him and he left for more opportunity (Cameron and Cox were not considered 1st rucks at the time). Begg has Cox, Cameron, Frampton and Steene in front of him. If we re-sign him he will more likely clog the list for 1-2 years (I dont see him getting past the taller rucks we have as 1st ruck) or much more unlikely he will develop and leave for more opportunity. He cant mark like Cox, Cameron or even Steene and because of this he looks 4th in line as a 2nd ruck forward. He has traits similar to Will Kelly who has struggled as a backman so I dont see him as a backman.

Not sure I see the same analytics as you.

Lynch had Cameron and cox in front of him as well as Grundy, and was less versatile than cox and Cameron.

Cox is now 32. There’s at least one spot up for grabs for the next best developing ruckman in coming years. Frampton is a key defender despite his admirable stint assisting us when Cameron cox anD begg were all injured.
Better off we have two young players developing than one…. Steene is miles off in terms of physical development and should be afforded whatever time he needs.

Plenty of room for begg . I wouldn’t be throwing him under the bus too soon. He needs a good second half of the year and obviously build on some weaknesses… but I’d prefer we gave him at least one more year especially while Steene is not ready.

Last edited:
McMahon had already had 2 full seasons in the system when he was delisted. When Begg was extended he’d had less than 12 months at the club, the first 6 months recovering from a shoulder reco. Just logical to give him extra time. He was retained because he was contracted, McMahon delisted because he’d had 2 full years, was still built like a stick, and his form wasn’t good enough to stake a claim for an extension.
Agree re McMahons deficiencies - and hence why the Club was comfortable to let him go knowing Begg was contracted. If there were doubts about Begg then McMahon would have been given an extension.

Agree re McMahons deficiencies - and hence why the Club was comfortable to let him go knowing Begg was contracted. If there were doubts about Begg then McMahon would have been given an extension.
Not sure of your logic here Spinny. If they thought Begg wasn't going to make it, why would they have also kept someone else who they didn't think would make it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back