VFL Pies v bullants

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I see the same analytics as you.

Lynch had Cameron and cox in front of him as well as Grundy, and was less versatile than cox and Cameron.

Cox is now 32. There’s at least one spot up for grabs for the next best developing ruckman in coming years. Frampton is a key defender despite his admirable stint assisting us when Cameron cox anD begg were all injured.
Better off we have two young players developing than one…. Steene is miles off in terms of physical development and should be afforded whatever time he needs.

Plenty of room for begg . I wouldn’t be throwing him under the bus too soon. He needs a good second half of the year and obviously build on some weaknesses… but I’d prefer we gave him at least one more year especially while Steene is not ready.
I would argue that the club didnt really see Cox and Cameron as 1st rucks when we had Lynch on the list. Agree that Lynch was less versatile. But so is the even smaller Begg.

I see Begg having definately at least 3 rucks in front of him with Cox, Cameron and Frampton showing AFL level ruck traits.. I agree the club sees Frampton as a backman but his utility as a ruck is certainly in front of Begg due to his bigger size, marking ability and his tap work. The club would at this stage prefer Frampton in the ruck and Ruscoe in the backline rather then Begg in the ruck and Frampton in the backline imo.

Cox is playing some career best footy and he has 2 years left at minimum in my opinion. I even feel a raw Steene has also gone past him as a ruck.

I dont mind Begg and he looks an interesting prospect, but do we need 5 players who can play ruck? Which one of the five is the least useful over the next 2-3 years at an AFL level?
If he gets a contract next year good for him and who am I to question the development staff at the Pies. But we need to delist at least 3-4 players at the end of the year and Begg is around the mark as a bottom 3 player.

I would argue that the club didnt really see Cox and Cameron as 1st rucks when we had Lynch on the list. Agree that Lynch was less versatile. But so is the even smaller Begg.

I see Begg having definately at least 3 rucks in front of him with Cox, Cameron and Frampton showing AFL level ruck traits.. I agree the club sees Frampton as a backman but his utility as a ruck is certainly in front of Begg due to his bigger size, marking ability and his tap work. The club would at this stage prefer Frampton in the ruck and Ruscoe in the backline rather then Begg in the ruck and Frampton in the backline imo.

Cox is playing some career best footy and he has 2 years left at minimum in my opinion. I even feel a raw Steene has also gone past him as a ruck.

I dont mind Begg and he looks an interesting prospect, but do we need 5 players who can play ruck? Which one of the five is the least useful over the next 2-3 years at an AFL level?
If he gets a contract next year good for him and who am I to question the development staff at the Pies. But we need to delist at least 3-4 players at the end of the year and Begg is around the mark as a bottom 3 player.

I think we shouldn’t be counting frampton. It’s not why he was brought to the club. He’s “ in case of emergencies”.

One veteran, one late 20,s, one early 20s and one teenager sounds like a reasonable mix.

Lynch was taller and could play 1st ruck. He only had the durable Grundy in front of him and he left for more opportunity (Cameron and Cox were not considered 1st rucks at the time). Begg has Cox, Cameron, Frampton and Steene in front of him. If we re-sign him he will more likely clog the list for 1-2 years (I dont see him getting past the taller rucks we have as 1st ruck) or much more unlikely he will develop and leave for more opportunity. He cant mark like Cox, Cameron or even Steene and because of this he looks 4th in line as a 2nd ruck forward. He has traits similar to Will Kelly who has struggled as a backman so I dont see him as a backman.

Yeah, Lynch was a whole 3cm taller than Begg when drafted, but he was a very ordinary ruckman across his first 2-3 years. His timing was deplorable. So I’m happy to disagree that he had 1st ruck capacity over Begg at equivalent stages of their careers. His 1 positive was that he was a slightly better mark but even that took time to develop and was inconsistent early. There were very good reasons Lynch didn’t debut till his 4th or 5th year. Begg got there in what was essentially his 1st.

If they had doubts about Begg he would not have had his contract renewed. And instead the Club would have extended McMahon
It's not logical Spinny. Madge was the last delisted anyway. And of course they've got doubts about Begg. He's a young project player. They only extended him for 1 year - which pretty much conclusively says they've got doubts. They gave him an extra year because he's got some potential, but he would need to be showing progress to get a further extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back