Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Calling to trade King is just crazy stuff. But he's not above criticism.

He really needs to work on his leading patterns. Everyone knows Gresh can't kick fullstop, let alone hit a target over 40m, so why didn't he lead up at the ball.

Has a tendency to demand the ball long instead of hitting up at the lead or getting up the ground. Doesn't need to be a maniac like Riewoldt but definitely needs to improve that part of his craft
Even if he had the best leading patterns ever from a forward our mids don't win it and they make terrible decisions and butcher it every time going forward.

Yes I do. I’ve noticed a change in the last 12-18 months where I think he wants to be the man and plays like he wants it. I’ve seen him do it before. Is he coming off a shoulder, yes. He’s played 8 games this year after a bad shoulder injury.
Fair enough, I hope you're right
The issues are known and its the midfield. Fans are upset that Steele and Crouch didn't perform in the last quarter, well who the * else should have? Crouch is a second-string midfielder (which is fine) and Steele the only proper elite mid we have and everyone cries if he doesn't win us the game.

Tonight isn't on Steele and it isn't on Crouch. It's on a list management team who have spent a decade refusing to draft pure midfielders with high picks.

Every now and then we lose a top side like we did tonight and a bunch of water boys want to delist anyone of value like they're supposed to win the game off their own boot every ******* week.

If you want to trade King you're dumb as dogshit. Tired of pretending you're not.
Disagree that Crouch is a second string midfielder. He isn't flashy but he's clearly our best mid by a mile.
Steele shouldn't be a second-string mid but he's been playing like one this year and I wasn't too hot on him last year, either.

Fair enough. I see him drop his bottom lip when he doesn’t get a ball over the top (instead of leading up at it) and miss a simple set shot that changes the momentum of the game.

He’s absolutely capable, don’t misunderstand what I’m saying, if anything that’s the more frustrating bit, he’s nearly there but I’m not sure if he’ll bridge the gap.
Look I get what you’re saying I just think he has shown the willingness to be ‘the man’ injuries this year have creeped him of that. Also his first few games his kicking was much better and his technique looks much better as well.

Good game Saints. You guys played well. Really well. Like, annoyingly good. I would not like to play you guys again in September.
Combine Saints 1st half (44) and Blues 2nd half (51?)… 95… and then combine the opposite 22+10 = 32…

Combine the teams and there’s a prem team in the making!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of thoughts after that one

-Just about as good a key defender performance from Wilkie as youll see this season, never lowered his colors, forced curbiw to get his bàll outside 50, and tried til the end

-for all the gut running and strong marking, Mason Wood had some diabolical kicks, couldnt seem to make a good decision in the second half

-crouch needs support badly, Roma was soundly beaten by Pittonet in the 2nd half

-defence played really well, but got no support from anywhere else. I felt like most of their goals were from turnovers in our forward half and stoppages inside 50

Certainly disappointed with the result, but we arent out yet, season is still in our hands

It’s got me f$#ked how Higgins can’t hit a handball from 5 m . We Constantly turned it over going inside 50 . 3 against 1 saints inside 50 and we nail the Carlton player straight down their throat.
Gresham so selfish and playing for his own contract somewhere else and de valuing himself more and more.
Don’t play him again next week .
We ll go no where unless we get some quality mids.
We weren’t even looking likely in the second half as we don’t have an effective midfield in modern day footy . Couldn’t get it into our forward line once in the last Q so how the hell can we win the game .
Spine is over rated

Not the coaches fault they ****ed up going inside 50 so much, at least 5 times I thought guarantee goal coming up and they they butcher it, we need a clean out and get better ball uses
We were smashed everywhere around the ground in that second half. Clearances, contested footy, and inside 50's.

In fact we were very lucky they weren't kicking straight. They had 9 more scoring shots.

Unironically would pick Sharman over King right now.
Something that really annoys me about max is that his forward want to chase is non existent. They litterly walk the ball out if he doesn’t mark it. atleast with the hammer and Sharman you get 100% effort and commitment to the defensive side and it always comes to ground.

Hill is one of the worst players I've ever seen. he can do something brilliant & follows it up with a series of game losing clangers. He does it consistently

Hill is one that needs support with him to shine, on our end that pretty much results in NWM & Sincs and more recently probably Windy and Owens, in such a space you can buy time, tread water for movement, raffle and win out just based on skill and support.

Instead, he generally banks on Steele who is trailing his opponent in. Hunter, who is doing the same. Wood, also doing the same but from in front this time, so he's reliant on the defenders to actually give a s**t and provide forward momentum.

Our problem are the Steele, Byrnes, Hunter "drop" in mids who when they lose they end up 2-3 paces behind their opponent which torch us.

We need to be able to execute the skills of the game

The manic pressure of the first half isn't sustainable week after week.

Wood's kicking was ordinary today. Hammer butchered it going inside 50. Gresham being Gresham etc.

Our decision making and execution tends to go out the window.

Disappointing loss, nothing worse than leading for 3 quarters to get your hopes up and then getting overrun in the last quarter especially to Carlton.

Great first half, we were all over them but we didn't make it count on the scoreboard and it came to back to bite us when they got the momentum.

Some of our younger players dropped off in the 2nd half which is understandable but some of our senior players did too like Steele which is unforgivable.

Some positives to take out of it, NWM was one of our only younger players that kept on going hard all day and Wilike gave Curnow a bath all day.

Some of the usual suspects like Marshall and Sinclair were good all day too but there were too many passengers in the second half.

We need to make a few changes for next week, I would look at bringing in Membrey and Hayes for Caminiti and Sharman, maybe Billings too.

A few of our kids look like they could do with a spell, Phillipou getting subbed out twice now suggests he is struggling to play out a full game.

I'm finally done with Gresham. Turns it over again and again. He's a momentum killer. Trade him out. It's never going to change. Wood has runs on the board, so I forgive his turnovers today.
Watching Acres play well at another club still makes me sick.
When some of our leaders really need to stand up, they go missing. We need to build a leadership culture. Something that the talented young group can aspire to. Disappointed today but not devastated. A lot of work still to go, but feel like we are at least building something bigger.

It's not coaching since it happened at a break and they just lacked on field when game lifted, midfield was getting pantsed beforehand and more just piled on to break through so this was on the forwards, and primarily Butler was back to his DGAF best and did some unforgivable things in that F50.

Just would have been nice to have things when unexpected but this mob repeatedly shows that it's mentally not there, unable to lift, unable to take ownership and just unable to go with in those trenches. This game was on mids and forwards, they let down everyone defensively.

If I was in that list, I'd be very afraid.
Definitely lack on field leadership when things start to go against us.

Hopefully Owens is the man going forward but you need more than one on field leader.

-for all the gut running and strong marking, Mason Wood had some diabolical kicks, couldnt seem to make a good decision in the second half
If he had better disposal, he'd just about have gotten 3 votes for that game. He was everywhere. All that effort for nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back